DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Traveling to morocco

taz

Reactions
Have any of you guys traveld to Morocco with a drone anything to have in mind?

The confiscate your drone and you pay the equivalent of $20 US for the "privileged" of having them store your drone until you leave. They do return it.

NB. the drone MUST be declared on entry if you don’t, and it is discovered when leaving you will have it taken away, it will NOT be returned.
I came in the country by boat unaware and got stung at the airport on a flight home.
Really bad image for the country.

The confiscate your drone and you pay the equivalent of $20 US for the "privileged" of having them store your drone until you leave. They do return it.

Can you confirm this is your recent first hand experience?

It was not my firsthand experience , but something I read that another member posted on this forum. He strongly warned about taking ones drone to Morocco as he had his confiscated. I filed it away in my brain as a place to not take my Mavic to. A search of the forums would turn up this thread.

It was not my firsthand experience , but something I read that another member posted on this forum. He strongly warned about taking ones drone to Morocco as he had his confiscated. I filed it away in my brain as a place to not take my Mavic to. A search of the forums would turn up this thread.

Thanks for that.

I recently had a DM from a traveller to Morocco who confirmed the fee and the storage. But noted that you must fly in and out of the same port.

I already have my MP with me in Morocco when I found out the bad news. Didn’t check it before arrival.
On the check-in they didn’t say anything, so I assume that they will confiscate it on my fly out back home.
Has anyone tried to ship it back home with the post?

I already have my MP with me in Morocco when I found out the bad news. Didn’t check it before arrival.
On the check-in they didn’t say anything, so I assume that they will confiscate it on my fly out back home.
Has anyone tried to ship it back home with the post?
Wow, very lucky you came across this thread.

My advice:
Split up the parts as much as possible. E.g controller, remote, batteries. That way if the drone is discovered, you will only have to replace the drone it’s self.

Remove the props so that when I goes through the scanner it doesn’t look like a drone.

If asked what you have in your bags just say a camera. Technically true. The moment you mention drone it’s game over.

Consider disguising it (from x Ray point of view ) and putting into checkin luggage.

I’m not sure about shipping. But seems risky. The bottom line is drones are illegal. So if didcovered at any point it will be confiscated.

Good luck!

Wow, very lucky you came across this thread.

My advice:
Split up the parts as much as possible. E.g controller, remote, batteries. That way if the drone is discovered, you will only have to replace the drone it’s self.

Remove the props so that when I goes through the scanner it doesn’t look like a drone.

If asked what you have in your bags just say a camera. Technically true. The moment you mention drone it’s game over.

Consider disguising it (from x Ray point of view ) and putting into checkin luggage.

I’m not sure about shipping. But seems risky. The bottom line is drones are illegal. So if didcovered at any point it will be confiscated.

Good luck!

My thought was to send it with post. Pack some dirty clothes, cables, chargers, mask it up, pay extra for insurance and tracking number.

They xrayed it when I arrived twice so I don’t know how the hell they didn’t find it in. I had it in my carry backpack - opened it up, removed the laptop, tablet, put it through the xray.

Now I don’t know what’s more risky - try to send it with post or try to put it in checked luggage.
Do they scan it from the bottom also?

I’m not sure i trust the Moroccan post. Will probably get thrown around a lot. Using a courrier would probably mean them opening it.
I think best bet is to put into check-in.

Hello, I'm really interested in getting an update to this thread. Asking for a friend :|

NB. the drone MUST be declared on entry if you don’t, and it is discovered when leaving you will have it taken away, it will NOT be returned.
I came in the country by boat unaware and got stung at the airport on a flight home.
Really bad image for the country.

Did you get it back? I had mine confiscated yesterday and they said I could try to get it back talking to my embassy. I’m on it but with no hopes.

My thought was to send it with post. Pack some dirty clothes, cables, chargers, mask it up, pay extra for insurance and tracking number.

They xrayed it when I arrived twice so I don’t know how the **** they didn’t find it in. I had it in my carry backpack - opened it up, removed the laptop, tablet, put it through the xray.

Now I don’t know what’s more risky - try to send it with post or try to put it in checked luggage.
Do they scan it from the bottom also?

Hi! How did the story end? I had mine confiscated yesterday. I did not know it was illegal.

@Ana I'm very sorry to hear your drone was confiscated. That is so frustrating! Unfortunately, I don't think the Embassy will be any help. I'm sorry. I wish the Moroccan government would do more to warn travelers upon arrival about their drone laws. I'm sure 99% of travelers would be happy to pay a small storage fee and leave their drone at the airport instead of having it permanently confiscated. I know I would have.

I learned after entering the country that it's illegal to import a drone. They didn't see it and I didn't declare it, so I had mine with me while I was there. I spent a lot of time trying figure out how I could get it out of the country, including talking to several people who worked at the Embassy or the Consulate and their reactions ranged from "I didn't know it was illegal to import a drone into Morocco" to "yes, it's illegal to import a drone, you should have known the law before you came." It definitely felt like there wasn't anything they could/would do once the drone was confiscated.

@petermcandrew I ended up leaving my drone in Morocco with a friend. To me that was a better option than just having it confiscated at the airport.

Is it 20 USD per day or overall?Thanks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22