DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Traveling to South Africa w/ Mavic 2 Pro

DominicMX

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hello all,
I am from the USA and will be traveling to South Africa in March, and I'm bringing my Mavic 2 Pro.
I am in need of any information on a "voltage converter" that people have used on international travels that is safe to use for charging the batteries and smart controller.
I have found a couple on Amazon for about $50 but I just want to know if I need to buy a specific one or spend more money on one that won't destroy my Mavic chargers.
Thanks for all your help,
Dominic

230V 50Hz apparently, the charger itself is "100-240 V, 50/60 Hz"
which probably means you just need the lead with the correct plug on the end or something like this https://www.amazon.com/Ceptics-South-Africa-Travel-Adapter/dp/B007YLFNL4

Just as a curiosity that looks very similar to the old British round pin layout. Do any South African know if it is?
High, Andre from South Africa. I also fly mavic 2 pro. We operate on 220 v 50 Hz, Just need an adapter (see pic), that is aprox R25.00 (1.7 USD). I am also planning to take my drone on vacation with me, Do you perhaps know if there is any clearance (procedure) needed to take drone and batterys on airplane ?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-02-11 at 15.56.10.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-02-11 at 15.56.10.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 0
High, Andre from South Africa. I also fly mavic 2 pro. We operate on 220 v 50 Hz, Just need an adapter (see pic), that is aprox R25.00 (1.7 USD). I am also planning to take my drone on vacation with me, Do you perhaps know if there is any clearance (procedure) needed to take drone and batterys on airplane ?
Hi Andre I am a fellow South African but living in the UK. I have travelled with various drones (P4/Air2/Mini2) over the last 6 years to SA / UK / Spain. Most airlines have some guidance on carrying Lipo batteries on the aeroplane on their websites with an upper limit to their capacity. Generally there is no problem taking smaller drones eg M2Pro / Air 2 etc. on board with the batteries which need to be in hand luggage. Some people put the batteries in fire retardant pouches for safety but if they are sensibly packed with no risk of shorting the contacts such as in the DJI Combo bag then there should be no problems. In the last 2-3 years I’ve not had airport security inspect my hand luggage with the drone and batteries clearly visible on their scanners. Hope this helps. Murray

230V 50Hz apparently, the charger itself is "100-240 V, 50/60 Hz"
which probably means you just need the lead with the correct plug on the end or something like this https://www.amazon.com/Ceptics-South-Africa-Travel-Adapter/dp/B007YLFNL4

Just as a curiosity that looks very similar to the old British round pin layout. Do any South African know if it is?
Yes the 3 pin plug is the old British round pin style plug. Adapters are easily available in SA for European/USA/UK style plugs.

Hi Andre I am a fellow South African but living in the UK. I have travelled with various drones (P4/Air2/Mini2) over the last 6 years to SA / UK / Spain. Most airlines have some guidance on carrying Lipo batteries on the aeroplane on their websites with an upper limit to their capacity. Generally there is no problem taking smaller drones eg M2Pro / Air 2 etc. on board with the batteries which need to be in hand luggage. Some people put the batteries in fire retardant pouches for safety but if they are sensibly packed with no risk of shorting the contacts such as in the DJI Combo bag then there should be no problems. In the last 2-3 years I’ve not had airport security inspect my hand luggage with the drone and batteries clearly visible on their scanners. Hope this helps. Murray
Thanks for reply !!

Reactions: EmsAir
Thank you all for the replies!!!!
Very good information I appreciate it.
I will attach a pic of the plug in, that my friend in South Africa sent me.

Attachments

• IMG-20220210-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20220210-WA0001.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20220210-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20220210-WA0000.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 0
I will also send a recap after my trip and tell everyone how it went through security.
I was planning on buying the fire bags in case they ask me to use them.
I also contacted Delta Airlines, and they told me the batteries have to be under a certain watt hour, which the mavic 2 pro is definitely under. I will be carrying the drone on the plane with me!!!
Thanks,
Dominic

Hello all,
I am from the USA and will be traveling to South Africa in March, and I'm bringing my Mavic 2 Pro.
I am in need of any information on a "voltage converter" that people have used on international travels that is safe to use for charging the batteries and smart controller.
I have found a couple on Amazon for about $50 but I just want to know if I need to buy a specific one or spend more money on one that won't destroy my Mavic chargers.
Thanks for all your help,
Dominic
I've been there many times. You want the three round prong adaptor. Might as well buy a couple, and also the square three pronged one. Most importantly, do not forget to take the converter from 220 to 110 volt and at least one extension cord. Might not be a bad idea to buy those new surge strips that have USB ports. Most outlets are rare and in hard to reach places.

Attachments

• US plug side of round pin adaptor, also place for 3rd ground pin.jpg
    US plug side of round pin adaptor, also place for 3rd ground pin.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 1
  • three round pin adapator.jpg
    three round pin adapator.jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 3 round pin and 3 square pin adaptor.jpg
    3 round pin and 3 square pin adaptor.jpg
    701.6 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: dirkclod
I've been there many times. You want the three round prong adaptor. Might as well buy a couple, and also the square three pronged one. Most importantly, do not forget to take the converter from 220 to 110 volt and at least one extension cord. Might not be a bad idea to buy those new surge strips that have USB ports. Most outlets are rare and in hard to reach places.
Dale D,
Thanks so much for your help! I will definitely purchase what I need after all the insight I have received!!
This is what I am thinking of buying...

Voltage Converter 2300W Power Step Down 220V to 110V Universal Travel Adapter Power Converter Power Transformer w/ 3 AC Outlets 3 USB Ports 1 Type-C Charging EU/UK/AU/US/IT/in/South Africa Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LDKVT6J/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_8HCNRK9QE8487GHVAEK4

Thank you
Dominic

Just curious, why?
Most US devices run on 110 volt although my Apple devices will take either voltage without a converter, including iPhone 13, Mac Book Pro. My camera battery chargers are Nikon and they like 110 volt. I'd be careful to read the voltage of each device needed to be charged so you don't blow it out in the start of your vacation. Tell your wife never to use her hair blower or flat iron. We blew out an entire camp once just before dark! The manager was not happy. She also did it to an entire hotel floor of rooms in Sir Lanka. To be on the safe side, I try to stay the same as US voltage for my battery chargers, Kindle, drone batteries, etc.

That set up looks great. There are TWO (2) things to be considered. The voltage convert, and the plug adaptor. You need the US two flat prong plug to go into the back of a three pin plug, but that three pin plug needs to go into the voltage converter.

The DJI charging block is 100V-240V and 50-60Hz.
But a GOOD point about other domestic appliances.............uuuumm what's a flat iron? lol

Dominic

Here is a typical set up that I just used in September trip. I had tons of gear to charge. Two Nikon camera batteries, drone battery bank (both US plugs), Kindles (two), etc. Bring more than you need. I blew one of these out!My Set Up for Africa tents.jpg

The DJI charging block is 100V-240V and 50-60Hz.
But a GOOD point about other domestic appliances.............uuuumm what's a flat iron? lol
A flat iron is a metal rod that is heated super hot and wife puts here curly hair through it to straighten the hair.Flat irons.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka