DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Traveling with Drone to Spain

Antonio Ortega

Reactions
I will travel to Barcelona Spain and I was wondering if it will be wise to take my drone with me. Mavic pro.
Any info? Any reliable link?

Any issues with customs? I'm going in July, I will of course abide by the regulations there, but are we allowed to bring it in with us? I'm also possibly driving to France, Italy and maybe Portugal.

Should I take it with me or there's a risk?

At least in Spain is not a problem, just place it on the cabin with you and there ia no issues (batteries must be carried with you, don’t check in them)...

And come and fly....double check the areas using IcarusRPA app...and you’re done

Glad to hear about the ease of droning in Spain. I'm headed to Barcelona and Madrid next week. I plan to take the MavicAir and try to get some quick flights while on holiday. If anyone has suggestions of places to go - please DM me.

Glad to hear about the ease of droning in Spain. I'm headed to Barcelona and Madrid next week. I plan to take the MavicAir and try to get some quick flights while on holiday. If anyone has suggestions of places to go - please DM me.
Got this response from the Spanish authority yesterday:

Dear Sir,

The Spanish RPAS regulation (RD 1036/2017) states the following rules for recreational use of RPAS in SPAIN:

- Outside agglomerations of buildings and people.
- By day and visual weather conditions.
- Within the visual range of the pilot (VLOS) and at no more than 120 m in height.
- Maintaining a suitable distance to obstacles and giving priority to other aircraft.
- In uncontrolled airspace at a minimum distance of 8 km from the reference point of any airport or aerodrome. Except for those operations carried out from infrastructures destined to RPAS, under the conditions established in the coordination procedures agreed by the responsible of said infrastructures with the air traffic services provider.
- At night with airplanes of less than 2kg of MTOM at a maximum height above ground of 50m.
- When using first-person vision devices (FPV), the operation must be performed within the visual range (VLOS), by observers who remain in permanent contact with the pilot without the help of these devices.

The distributions of images of people or private spaces, need authorization of them and that must comply with the Law of Data Protection, the Right to Honor, Privacy and own image and the restrictions of taking aerial images.

Any picture that you may take during recreational flight cannot be transferred for commercial or professional use.

Please ask local Authorities prior to fly. Other restrictions may apply, for example in some special areas like Natural Parks and Biosphere Reserves. You can find a map of the airspaces in ENAIRE’s web app:

ENAIRE Drones

You are responsible for the operation of your RPAS. We do recommend to get, at least, a third-party insurance to cover the risks associated to the operation of your RPAS.

Please contact your airline carrier too in order to check the special conditions for transport of LIPO batteries.

Letter of approval is not needed for recreational purposes (hobby).

Best regards,
Buzón de Drones

Tel +34 91 396 80 00
E-mail: [email protected]

Agencia Estatal de Seguridad Aérea
www.seguridadaerea.gob.es
Av. General Perón 40, portal B, 1ª planta, 28020 Madrid

Many thanks for sharing that ! Actually in Spain ! Lot of wind as I’m very close to the cliffs in front of sea... but beautiful !!!

Am I correct in understanding that you have to check your drone in your suitcase - but carry the actual batteries with you in your hand luggage. ? If thats correct, what about the controller - where does that go ?

Back from Spain ! So cool to fly there !

Amazing view!!

I am going to el chorro, Spain in November this year for the cliffs. Based on previous conversations, I guess we don't need to apply for any permission as long as we follow the rules?

Would appreciate any advice :)

Cheers

You’ll be under the Malaga Airport CTR (LEMG)...so technically is forbidden

Ohh... true. Thank you! I think taking the drone through security control would not be a problem right? just could not get it up in the sky in the controlled area... Well I guess I have to drive off the road and fly it somewhere allowed.

Wow I had a look at the enair website and it looks like anywhere a person might want to fly a drone is forbidden. Very drone unfriendly country.

I live in Spain and its great to see fly here.. however there are a few common sense rules to follow. There is a bit of confusion as Spain has just passed a law on the 15th of December 2017 giving more frame around recreational & commercial drone use in the country.

Depending on what you're are looking to do during your flight and which drone you're using (if it has a camera & your drone's weight), you will be subject to the according rules. For example, national parks in Spain are a no no without permission or if your drone if fitted with a camera, you will have to less space to enjoy.

ENAIRE built a detailed map which helps a lot
133aa2_25a6974c4fd244ed8242b47d667aa09d_mv2.png

Living here, the subject really interested me & I've put a full sum up research - hoping this will help most of us!
https://www.drone-made.com/blog/spain-drone-laws

Safe flight!

Last edited:
I live in Spain and its great to see fly here.. however there are a few common sense rules to follow. There is a bit of confusion as Spain has just passed a law on the 15th of December 2017 giving more frame around recreational & commercial drone use in the country.

Depending on what you're are looking to do during your flight and which drone you're using (if it has a camera & your drone's weight), you will be subject to the according rules. For example, national parks in Spain are a no no without permission or if your drone if fitted with a camera, you will have to less space to enjoy.

ENAIRE built a detailed map which helps a lot
View attachment 57598

Living here, the subject really interested me & I've put a full sum up research - hoping this will help most of us!
Post | Dronemade

Safe flight!

Hey Paul, the ENAIRE map seems to be a lot more restrictive. Seems like towns of any kind of size have aerodrome exclusion zones, all the red spots on this map. I don't think it even overlays national parks so all the gaps between the red spots may still be excluded. I see some gaps in the Asturian, Cantabrian and Basque coast, maybe some parts of Costa del Sol west of Malaga, etc.

Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 6.18.41 PM.png

Hello,
I know this thread is older, but I was wondering if anyone has experience coming from the US to fly in Spain in the last year or so.

I'm trying to figure out if it will be worth the hassle and cost (registering, drone insurance, etc.) to try to bring my Mini 2 with us on a trip.

If anyone has any real world experience doing this, I would love to hear from you!

Thanks!
Michael

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser