DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Traveling with Mavic 2 from the US to Italy

Gipper

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Does anyone know the law and or sites you might send me on traveling outside the US to Italy. We hope to go on a cruise and go around the boot. How do I pack my Drone and batteries? Is this legal? What are the restrictions is Italy?
Any websites or directions I might find information is apprciated. Is the risk worth the reward?

Does anyone know the law and or sites you might send me on traveling outside the US to Italy. We hope to go on a cruise and go around the boot. How do I pack my Drone and batteries? Is this legal? What are the restrictions is Italy?
Any websites or directions I might find information is apprciated. Is the risk worth the reward?
You have posted in the General section so we don’t know which aircraft you are talking about. Edit - just seen your thread title says Mavic 2 so ignore that.
Traveling with the drone has been covered numerous times already on the forum (both international flights and cruise ships).

With regards to flying it depends on when you are traveling.

Up to and including June 30th you will be bound by Italy’s UAV laws.
From July 1st onwards the new EASA rules will apply which each member state has agreed to adopt.
You will be flying a legacy aircraft (since no C0-C4 certified drones exist at present) so will only be able to fly within the Open Category where you will be limited to below 120m and strict VLOS.

Last edited:
Having traveled in Italy several times (mainly Tuscany), and being a landscape/nature photographer, be aware that almost all property in Italy is private. It's hard getting the correct angles for landscape photography without getting the owners permission to step-on or fly a drone on their property. Check on local, not just federal laws. You DO NOT want a ticket in Italy. I've taken very few landscape images in Tuscany because I couldn't get the correct angle nor get the permission to enter private property for the wanted angle. Check with the local police or Carabinieri.

My brother brought a drone on his trip to Italy and flew it around, over and inside the Colosseum, Pompeii and the Vesuvius and none of the guards cared about it a bit!
...those were the days.

Reactions: Saigondroner

You should do search of the forums. Most all information has been well explained. Italy follows all the EU UAV restrictions, and has added a few of their own.

For a quick primer, always hand carry your batteries onboard planes. No exceptions.
Never try to fly shipboard, during your cruise. Do not fly over tourist centers without approval. In rural areas, it is best to ask for permission from the land owner. If the farmer raises chickens or cows, stay far away from their livestock.

Italy celebrates red tape & bureaucracy. It is worsening, due to IT’s economy drop (and tax evasion is a pro sport). The tax authorities have gotten wise.

Italian landowners mainly worry that the Guardia di Finanzia assumes they were paid so you could make your video, and the owner will be be penalized for not reporting the income.

It will take days or weeks to obtain official approval, so impossible to do a “day flight” landside, during a 1 day cruise docking.

Because of the prohibitive bureaucracy, I have always just flown where I wanted with no Italian approval, and have never had a problem. I was asked to stop flying in Tuscany, and hit RTH immediately. The farmer was pissed that other droners had scared his livestock.

I grew up in Rome, Italy (gli anni di piombo) and speak Italian fluently...I am extremely careful & conservative when flying overseas. Speaking Italian helps, I guess, but I’ve never had to talk my way out of an incident.

I assume you’ll start your cruise from Ostia, after landing at Fiumicino.

Enjoy your trip!! Don’t scare the animals

Disfrute la esperienza! Buon viaggio!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54