DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Traveling with Mavic on Delta Airlines

Marko9219

Reactions
Reviewing their website about Lipo batteries, I saw this : "Lithium ion batteries not installed in a device (spares) must be in carry-on baggage and no more than two (2) spares between 100 and 160 watt hours are allowed."
So, that means 3 batteries total? One in the drone and 2 spares? Dang!

I honestly don’t see how they can enforce this. Last week, I flew from San Francisco to the East Coast and back with no issues during my TSA check in. I typically fly with four batteries. Additionally, I also fly with at least one laptop which also has a lipo battery.

I honestly don’t see how they can enforce this. Last week, I flew from San Francisco to the East Coast and back with no issues during my TSA check in. I typically fly with four batteries. Additionally, I also fly with at least one laptop which also has a lipo battery.
Did you put your spares in Lipo safe bags? I'm planning on no bags, just the cut out places in my drone case

I fly with mine and a backpack filled with electronics and it hast been a issue. I have them charged 100 % and they have never checked. I've been on more then 10 flights in diffrent city's and have never had a issue at any airport. There are a few threads here somewhere where alot of people are talking about it.

Reviewing their website about Lipo batteries, I saw this : "Lithium ion batteries not installed in a device (spares) must be in carry-on baggage and no more than two (2) spares between 100 and 160 watt hours are allowed."
So, that means 3 batteries total? One in the drone and 2 spares? Dang!

> If you look at the wording of their limitation policy it says:
upload_2018-5-9_15-36-25.png

The Mavic Pro battery is 43.6Wh which puts it at less than 50% of the 100Wh limit before you have a limit of one in the device and two spares.
We are leaving Friday morning with 6 batteries.

CopterBob

By the way - I just called JetBlue and verified the same information - Below 100Wh there is no restriction for the number of batteries you can carry on.

upload_2018-5-9_15-50-20.png
CopterBob

Doesn’t matter, you just have to carry them on that’s all. Checked baggage in the cargo hold isn’t pressurized.

Yes, the cargo hold is pressurized. It’s all part of the same airframe. Anything that seats 100 people or more and flies above 10k feet will be pressurized. The floor of the cabin is too thin for it not to be. If the cargo hold wasn’t pressurized, any change is pressure would cause the floor to collapse.

Yes, the cargo hold is pressurized. It’s all part of the same airframe. Anything that seats 100 people or more and flies above 10k feet will be pressurized. The floor of the cabin is too thin for it not to be. If the cargo hold wasn’t pressurized, any change is pressure would cause the floor to collapse.

I stand corrected. Not sure what I was thinking. I’m assuming they want lithium batteries in the cabin based on temp and ability to extinguish fires?

I stand corrected. Not sure what I was thinking. I’m assuming they want lithium batteries in the cabin based on temp and ability to extinguish fires?

They want them there for the ability to monitor them, in case they burst or catch on fire. If a battery catches fire in the cabin, it will likely be noticed immediately and steps can be taken to put it out. And though there are fire safety systems in the cargo hold of an airplane (typically halon), they aren't well-equipped to deal with the type of fire that lithium-ion batteries generate.

Reactions: ksmusa
The TSA requires the batteries (including those installed in/on a device) to be carried on. Not all airlines do. If the flight is not in or out of the US, Norwegian airlines allows installed batteries to be in checked luggage, although spares must be carried on. I'm not sure why the difference.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa