DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Travelling light with a drone and DSLR

Rileywalker10

Reactions
Hey guys,
I am off on a surf/ photography trip in March, I have a DSLR that I will be taking and I am also looking to get a drone before I go away. Obviously looking at the Mavic Pro. I only really want to take two bags, a big pack and a carry on/daypack. Would it be advisable to travel with my DSLR and Mavic in their own independent cases inside the big pack, maybe wrapped in some clothes or towels or something? I really want to go light so I don’t want to have to take an extra bag or pack since I will already be lugging around a board bag with at least two boards in it.

You’re going to check your DSLR and drone in your big bag? If you have the option of taking them on your carry on in a camera type bag, that would be preferable!

Reactions: bump and flight_tee
You’re going to check your DSLR and drone in your big bag? If you have the option of taking them on your carry on in a camera type bag, that would be preferable!
i will have my drone/ dslr in my carry on whilst flying, but will have them in the main bag the rest of the time unless i am out shooting

Reactions: nheilwei
i bought my mavic because of its portability - i now travel with a mavic in its bag, the spare batteries and the DSLR and lenses can go in your DSLR bag. happy travels.

can totally recommend the thinktank retrospective 10 - it will carry a big DSLR, a couple of lenses, a handful of mavic bits and a bottle of water - also other things that you wouldn't need on a surfing trip - I managed to get a jacket, pair of gloves and a beanie in it as well.

Reactions: nheilwei
Get something like this:

https://smile.amazon.com/Depstech-C...qid=1516736847&sr=8-7&keywords=mavic+pro+case

I got mine on eBay and have traveled overseas with it several times in a normal laptop backpack with zero problems. I could also fit a large DSLR, too. It would be probably be good enough to go in checked luggage, but I won't ever test that!

Be aware that there are complaints of a strong chemical smell. It's true, but it did go away after a short while. (I left mine outside to "air it out".)

You can buy padded camera inserts on Amazon and eBay to stick inside any bag or backpack. Figure out what size day pack you need, get dividers to hold your gear at the bottom. Bonus points for choosing a cartoon-themed day pack that doesn't scream "expensive stuff - steal me."

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest