DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini Tree takedown.

Zbip57

Reactions
No, the Mini didn't take down a tree, and none of the trees took down the Mini. I flew my Mavic Mini to record my neighbour's dead pine tree being cut down.

These same guys did some work for us over on our side of the waterfall the week before. He cuts off the branches on his way up the tree, lops the top off, then cuts off sections of log on the way back down. His guys on the ground drag the branches away and cut them up to fit into their trailer for hauling away.

That is cool. Interesting perspective that people don't get to see everyday. Even got a wave @ the end! Thumbswayup

Reactions: Zbip57 and db4476
There is just a whole lot of awesome going on there.
That guy is a true craftsman, and how in the heck does he get his chainsaw to start on the 1st pull EVERYTIME!

Great video....also an amazing location to live!

McG

how in the heck does he get his chainsaw to start on the 1st pull EVERYTIME!
Amazing, eh?

My chainsaw usually starts on the first, second, or third pull, when cold. After that I better not shut it off again until I'm done, otherwise it sometimes won't start again when hot.

Great video....also an amazing location to live!
Thanks. Lots more on my channel.

We're very fortunate to have found this place, moving in four years ago. Here's another video from October last year.

My chainsaw usually starts on the first, second, or third pull, when cold. After that I better not shut it off again until I'm done, otherwise it sometimes won't start again when hot.
This for sure!
McG

How was the sound in the video accomplished?
While flying I run the screen recorder on my phone to keep a record of the telemetry and any warnings or error messages that pop up on the DJI Fly app. It helps me figure out afterwards what went wrong, if anything should go wrong.

With that screen recording the phone also records sound. I was sitting at the top of the stairs to our dock, across the waterfall from these guys. The noise of the waterfall between us blocked out all of the usual annoying prop whine from the drone, but picked up everything else.

I just need to remember to blow my nose beforehand and not sniff constantly, as the phone's mic picks any nearby noise up very clearly. There were quite a few bits of video I couldn't use because of that, or I needed to edit out the sniffs from the sound track.

Also, I missed a couple of spots where, while adjusting the pitch angle of the gimbal, rather than smoothly easing the adjustment wheel back to zero I just let it go. You can hear the click at 6:23.

I didn't think the top would be connected by rope when it finally came off. I don't know if I could hold on like that!

With the screen recording the phone also records sound....
I use the AzRecorder app on my Android phone.

Another advantage of always running a screen recorder while flying is that it will discretely document any unwanted "Karen" encounters.

My other friendly neighbour came over to see what the chainsaw noise was all about. Not complaining. He was just curious. But he caught me at a bad moment right as my low battery alarm started beeping. He kept talking to me while I was trying to focus on landing my drone in the narrow space between tall trees.

He asked about the requirement for registration (not required for micro sub-250 gram) and I was about to launch into my government over-regulation rant, when I freaked him out by landing the Mini on my hand. He says, "It scares the **** outta me when you do that!"

Turn down your volume! Loud beeping!

I didn't think the top would be connected by rope when it finally came off.
They were being careful not to damage the roof of the building or the deck directly below the tree.

I don't know if I could hold on like that!
I think he was a bit surprised too.

At 4:20 he didn't cut quite far enough through the tree with his chainsaw. You see him trying to pull the top over. Then he whips out his handsaw to make a slightly deeper cut and when he leans back to slide the handsaw back in its holster the top of the tree comes free.

He's still holding the handsaw in one hand and has to pull his foot out of the way of the falling treetop. Eek!

I asked him about that later. It's all good. He had it all under control.

• Wow
Reactions: ckoerner
No, the Mini didn't take down a tree, and none of the trees took down the Mini. I flew my Mavic Mini to record my neighbour's dead pine tree being cut down.

These same guys did some work for us over on our side of the waterfall the week before. He cuts off the branches on his way up the tree, lops the top off, then cuts off sections of log on the way back down. His guys on the ground drag the branches away and cut them up to fit into their trailer for hauling away.

Thanks for sharing

Does a Mini have sound? If not, how do you get the sound?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys