DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

TriplTek 8 - disappointed

Luckyguy9

Approved Vendor
Premium Pilot
Reactions
I have been reading all the rave reviews about the TriplTek 8 on this board and bought one a few days ago. Arrived today. I love the heavy, sturdy feel, robust case, bright screen, etc. I've never used an android device but it was quick and easy. Very intuitive.
Logged into my wifi, downloaded DJI Fly, but I had a difficult time syncing to drone - Mini 2. It kept intermittently saying "aircraft not connected to remote device." One minute it worked, the next it didn't. I had the cable fully pushed into both the controller and new TriplTek 8. Seemed like it wouldn't make a good connection.

I tried reversing the connector on the controller and triptek 8, used a different cable, but it kept connecting and disconnecting. Eventually I got a steady connection.

I went into ... settings and configured all 5 sections. I'm used to the apple devices. Apparently the DJI Fly software works differently on the android.
First there is no "phone charging" button.
Second, you can't configure the top left function button to any of the 6 otions in the IOS software. Only FPV/Follow and Gimble forward/down. There is no toggling to map, not changing the EV in camera settings... only those 2 options as tap and double tap.

This without even flying because I don't trust the connection from controller to TriplTek 8. So I think I'll box it up and return to amazon for the $775 refund.
Am I doing something wrong or is this the way DJI Fly works on an android?
Thanks for any advice.

I love my Tripltek but you have to embrace it for what it does good... its large, super bright and nothing else comes close if using a tablet. With Amazon you can safely test the Tripltek for a few days before deciding whether to return it.

The connection problem is overcome with a different cable, I initially had issues until I found a cable that had small ends and seated well.

DJI FLY does work differently with Android so you will run into the differences from time to time. You can't turn off phone charging but the RC-N1 has a big battery and can handle the drain. Both the RC-N1 battery and the Tripltek battery last for many flights.

Don't quote me because I no longer flying a Mini 2 but I think the right button is more programable for your needs. I always have the left button set to gimbal forward/down and don't do much else with it. (no right button on RC-N1 to program)

Last edited:
Reactions: Gagey52
Those pesky cables, they are a pain. I found the cable that came with my Tripltek 7 was the best to use, it seats well and have had no trouble.
Regards

Reactions: GFields
I have been using

USB C to USB C Cable 1FT, CableCreation 5A/100W Fast Charging Cable 10Gbps Data Cable USB3.2 Gen2 USB3.1 C to C Cable Support 4K Video for USB C External SSD MacBook Pro Air Note 10, 0.3m Black​

for several months with mine. I never pay any attention to which end is going where. It just works every time.

I too have the Tripltek Pro 8. The cable that came with the unit does have a habit of losing connection while handling the controller/tablet. It's just a "hair" short or the plastic needs a trim.

Reactions: Gary R
I have been reading all the rave reviews about the TriplTek 8 on this board and bought one a few days ago. Arrived today. I love the heavy, sturdy feel, robust case, bright screen, etc. I've never used an android device but it was quick and easy. Very intuitive.
Logged into my wifi, downloaded DJI Fly, but I had a difficult time syncing to drone - Mini 2. It kept intermittently saying "aircraft not connected to remote device." One minute it worked, the next it didn't. I had the cable fully pushed into both the controller and new TriplTek 8. Seemed like it wouldn't make a good connection.

I tried reversing the connector on the controller and triptek 8, used a different cable, but it kept connecting and disconnecting. Eventually I got a steady connection.

I went into ... settings and configured all 5 sections. I'm used to the apple devices. Apparently the DJI Fly software works differently on the android.
First there is no "phone charging" button.
Second, you can't configure the top left function button to any of the 6 otions in the IOS software. Only FPV/Follow and Gimble forward/down. There is no toggling to map, not changing the EV in camera settings... only those 2 options as tap and double tap.

This without even flying because I don't trust the connection from controller to TriplTek 8. So I think I'll box it up and return to amazon for the $775 refund.
Am I doing something wrong or is this the way DJI Fly works on an android?
Thanks for any advice.
This is the specific extender cable that works with mine. https://amzn.to/3yLByst

I’ve had my Tripltek 8 for about 6 months now. If it wasn’t for the bright screen, it would have been returned. Really dislike the Android system, it’s too heavy and it’s very confusing to upgrade DJI fly. If I had that brightness on my IPad mini , I’d be a happy camper. Really don’t understand why it had to be so heavy. The battery on the mini lasts plenty long. I only use mini when in the middle of the day here in the desert.

I have been using

USB C to USB C Cable 1FT, CableCreation 5A/100W Fast Charging Cable 10Gbps Data Cable USB3.2 Gen2 USB3.1 C to C Cable Support 4K Video for USB C External SSD MacBook Pro Air Note 10, 0.3m Black​

for several months with mine. I never pay any attention to which end is going where. It just works every time.
Thanks

Reactions: edcMavicPilots
I had that tablet and returned it after so much trouble. DJI said it didn't support my 2 pro or the mini 2 on that tablet.
they also have a hefty restocking charge
Why wouldn't DJ I support their drone on that tablet? Their app functions on that tablet? I got a better cable and I no longer have any problems with cut outs. I wish I could toggle the function switch to all the options available on the iOS system but the tablet is so bright and last so long that I'm almost too spoiled to send it back.
I had it all boxed up, got the new cable, ran a few hours yesterday and now I'm starting to warm up to it

Reactions: edcMavicPilots
Why wouldn't DJ I support their drone on that tablet? Their app functions on that tablet? I got a better cable and I no longer have any problems with cut outs. I wish I could toggle the function switch to all the options available on the iOS system but the tablet is so bright and last so long that I'm almost too spoiled to send it back.
I had it all boxed up, got the new cable, ran a few hours yesterday and now I'm starting to warm up to it
When you say "cut outs", I'm wondering if it is something similar to the problem that I'm having.. When I'm flying, I get random video loss, the video goes black, but strangely I can still see all the live telemetry such as altitude, distance, speed, battery, sats locked etc. Even the on screen menu works. It tends to happen around 20 minutes into the flight, but sometimes happens sooner.
I don't think it's a range or signal thing, as it can happen with the drone a few metres in front of me. If I close the app and reopen it, the video is back. I don't think it is the lead, I've tried three different good quality leads.
If I fly my drone using my Android phone, the issue doesn't happen, so I think it's maybe some issues between the DJI Fly app and the Tripltek 8 inch Pro tablet. But it's so random, it can happen after only 6 minutes, but generally it's around the 20 minutes mark.

Reactions: F00Man
When you say "cut outs", I'm wondering if it is something similar to the problem that I'm having.. When I'm flying, I get random video loss, the video goes black, but strangely I can still see all the live telemetry such as altitude, distance, speed, battery, sats locked etc. Even the on screen menu works. It tends to happen around 20 minutes into the flight, but sometimes happens sooner.
I don't think it's a range or signal thing, as it can happen with the drone a few metres in front of me. If I close the app and reopen it, the video is back. I don't think it is the lead, I've tried three different good quality leads.
If I fly my drone using my Android phone, the issue doesn't happen, so I think it's maybe some issues between the DJI Fly app and the Tripltek 8 inch Pro tablet. But it's so random, it can happen after only 6 minutes, but generally it's around the 20 minutes mark.

Just a point......I have been having random loss as @Steve_UK_M2P. It had started after a couple updates ago but it was more often (twice in two weeks) after I added the Tripltek Pro. I had asked Tripltek support about another issue and one of the things to try was swapping the cable out. Well, I had started using the cable I received with my tablet about that same time and I haven't had the issue since I have swapped.

Just a point......I have been having random loss as @Steve_UK_M2P. It had started after a couple updates ago but it was more often (twice in two weeks) after I added the Tripltek Pro. I had asked Tripltek support about another issue and one of the things to try was swapping the cable out. Well, I had started using the cable I received with my tablet about that same time and I haven't had the issue since I have swapped.
Thanks for the quick reply, was it the same type of loss as I described? Which lead fixed the issue? The one that Tripltek sell on their site?

Thanks for the quick reply, was it the same type of loss as I described? Which lead fixed the issue? The one that Tripltek sell on their site?
**UPDATE**
I have ordered the lead from Tripltek to try, and will report back if this fixes the problem or not

This is the specific extender cable that works with mine. https://amzn.to/3yLByst
I've replaced the cable with the Tripltek one that they advised to use, but guess what... The problem is still happening..
On the plus side, I have worked out that when the screen turns black, if I open the album, then go back to the normal screen, the video is restored, so it's not such a major issue now, it's more of an annoyance.. I'm thinking now that it's an app compatibility issue 🤔

Wow. Im sorry you seem to be having this issue. Theres a problem "we" are not aware of yet..

Fortunately, you have figured out a working solution.
Im still less than a week in with my new Tripltec 8 Pro and I haven't experienced ANY hiccups yet. I DID purchase the $9 cable from them also.

The only "issues" I have with the tablet are the complete un-usability to do any post process editing in any way whatsoever. The antiquated Android 10 will NOT allow the Adobe Rush Premiere app to be downloaded. Even using the tablet to download the vids on in itself is a life long process.

I originally tried setting it up like my phone but soon came to the conclusion that its a DEDICATED DEVICE and doesnt need anything on it except the Fly app and something like UAV forecast. I DO have an AT&T sim card in it to download the maps and whatnot. But I deleted all the social media and stuff and quit even thinking about using it in ANY WAY besides a screen.

Saying all that, its a GOOD (great) thing its running the antiquated OS. YOU didn't have any Fly App problems on the Tripletec while everyone else did, did you? Nope. Using Android 10 kind of circumnavigates us around all the constant security and app and os updates and all that bs. We will stay pretty stable throughout all that.

MY workaround is to keep the Fly app on my Galaxy Fold 3 and use that device to do all my "on the go" editing and posting and what not when Im not actually trying to be serious on the pc at the house. Its light years quicker with 12 gigs or RAM in my phone compared to the 8 in the Tripltec, amongst all the other specs that the Fold trumps the Tablet at.

Thanks for listening to my opinions on the subject. Maybe you need to think about a complete reformat of the Tripltec? Im assuming you are completely updated with the drone's firmware, right? Something is off. Good luck. :)

Reactions: Steve_UK_M4P
Wow. Im sorry you seem to be having this issue. Theres a problem "we" are not aware of yet..

Im still less than a week in with my new Tripltec 8 Pro and I haven't experienced ANY hiccups yet. I DID purchase the $9 cable from them also.

The only "issues" I have with the tablet are the complete un-usability to do any post process editing in any way whatsoever. The antiquated Android 10 will NOT allow the Adobe Rush Premiere app to be downloaded. Even using the tablet to download the vids on in itself is a life long process.

I originally tried setting it up like my phone but soon came to the conclusion that its a DEDICATED DEVICE and doesnt need anything on it except the Fly app and something like UAV forecast. I DO have an AT&T sim card in it to download the maps and whatnot. But I deleted all the social media and stuff and quit even thinking about using it in ANY WAY besides a screen.

Saying all that, its a GOOD (great) thing its running the antiquated OS. YOU didn't have any Fly App problems on the Tripletec while everyone else did, did you? Nope. Using Android 10 kind of circumnavigates us around all the constant security and app and os updates and all that bs. We will stay pretty stable throughout all that.

MY workaround is to keep the Fly app on my Galaxy Fold 3 and use that device to do all my "on the go" editing and posting and what not when Im not actually trying to be serious on the pc at the house. Its light years quicker with 12 gigs or RAM in my phone compared to the 8 in the Tripltec, amongst all the other specs that the Fold trumps the Tablet at.

Thanks for listening to my opinions on the subject. Maybe you need to think about a complete reformat of the Tripltec? Im assuming you are completely updated with the drone's firmware, right? Something is off. Good luck. :)
Yes I factory reset the Tripltek (twice). Tripltek even sent me the latest Tripltek firmware, and PC software to make sure everything was up to date. I then just installed the latest DJI Fly app and nothing else, but the issue still happened.

I have now tried 5 different leads including the Tripltek one and the DJI one, plus other "high quality" ones that were recommended.

DJI are investigating and have sent me two different beta versions of the Fly app to try. I have also been sending DJI log files from the app and the aircraft, so hopefully they can see/workout what the issue is.

I fly mostly commercially, so I need my equipment to be reliable, I have a Mini 3 Pro, plus a Mini 2 that I use as a backup, and two RC-N1 controllers. I have tested both aircraft with both controllers, All are up to date (updated using DJI Assistant software) yet I am still seeing this random black screen issue. The issue happens completely at random, it can happen anytime during the flight. Some flights it doesn't happen at all, it is completely random.

i absolutely love the screen, it's perfect for my needs as a commercial drone operator, I just wish I could work out what is causing this random black screen issue.

I have been asking on here and on other platforms to get feedback from other Tripltek 8 users, and the answers are mixed, some are seeing the issue yet some are not.

Since I discovered that opening the album, and then returning to the flight screen, restores the video, it's not such a big issue, it's more just annoying, particularly if I am in the middle of a shot, and I have to take it again, or if my client is watching when it happens. Hopefully a future update might fix 🤞🏻

You can sideload the Adobe Rush Premiere APP. It is working fine on my Tripltek 8.

You can get it here: Adobe Premiere Rush: Video 2.4.0.2004 (nodpi) APK Download by Adobe - APKMirror

Reactions: Steve_UK_M4P
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242