DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trouble using drone at home

Johnymak

Reactions
Hey guys, complete rookie kook. Brought a Mavic mini, when I try to use it at home it flys about 10 m then shuts down because of the flight path to my regional airport. On the casa certified app it says my whole town is caution area, I thought you could still fly in there places. Everywhere I have tried so far it won’t allow me. It seems my drone is a waste of money and it cannot fly anywhere around my town. The airport is a regional airport with less then 9 flights a day. Anyway to get around this. I have attached the image given by open sky app.
Cheers and thanks
John
E6AA6DA9-1887-43D5-A8BF-F3162D356C47.png

The easiest way to get flying is to go where you do not have the restrictions. From what the maps show, there is plenty of free airspace available, just not there where you want to fly. That is a pity, but life is not always easy. You could have been aware of flight restrictions (more general, about all rules and regulations regarding the use of an UAV in your country) if you would have informed you before purchasing the drone.

That is not a no fly zone though.
Just a heliport and uncontrolled airport, which is perfectly allowable to fly.
You simply land if you become aware of helis or manned aircraft in the vicinity.

Are you sure you’re not in beginner mode or restricted flight in settings ?

I did Research I downloaded the app before purchasing and it said it was a orange lit area which is caution not no fly zone. Not sure . I’ll have a look around the settings when I get home. I haven’t changed anything since it came out of the box. Thanks for your input

Cheers

This is the DJI GEO Safe zone map that stops you flying ...

View attachment 95026

The blue zone should be unlockable by the user ... see below.

View attachment 95027
That’s the catch. DJI is over-zealous in protecting its market. They don’t go by CASA rules, but by their own. If it’s an uncontrolled airport, in Australia you can fly up to the boundary, AS LONG A NO MANNED FLIGHTS ARE OPERATING IN THE AREA. In fact CASA gave me in writing that you can fly in the takeoff and departure areas if you want - but you’d be a bit of an idiot to do so, unless you’re talking a farm strip out in the desert. You need to get 1-off permission from DJI. Annoying and they need to fix.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus