DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trouble with MPP video intermittent ripple

Terry63

Reactions
I Just got a chance to record some video with my new Mavic Pro Platinum. I have been flying a Mavic Pro for two seasons now. I love the MP and I wanted a back-up drone. The Mavic Pro Platinum is the closest I could get. I love the MPP also and the noise reduction of the MPP over the MP impressed me. However when I reviewed my first video recording I was very disappointed .

I tried a different micro SD card one well proven from my MP. I also calibrated the gimbal but still get the same results. I am flying the MPP in stock out-of-the -box condition. Is this typical of the MPP? ( I wouldn't think so.) I have seen some of the videos from threads on this forum but my video doesn't look quite like them. My problem does not look that severe and it only occurs every couple of minutes on average. Is this a known problem? Can this be easily fixed or do I need to send it back to the merchant or send it to DJI?
Here is about 1 minutes worth of excerpts from that 9 minute video.
Video ripple

that is not a normal thing i have never seen it with my MPP ,it seems to have a fault somewhere,

I Just got a chance to record some video with my new Mavic Pro Platinum. I have been flying a Mavic Pro for two seasons now. I love the MP and I wanted a back-up drone. The Mavic Pro Platinum is the closest I could get. I love the MPP also and the noise reduction of the MPP over the MP impressed me. However when I reviewed my first video recording I was very disappointed .

I tried a different micro SD card one well proven from my MP. I also calibrated the gimbal but still get the same results. I am flying the MPP in stock out-of-the -box condition. Is this typical of the MPP? ( I wouldn't think so.) I have seen some of the videos from threads on this forum but my video doesn't look quite like them. My problem does not look that severe and it only occurs every couple of minutes on average. Is this a known problem? Can this be easily fixed or do I need to send it back to the merchant or send it to DJI?
Here is about 1 minutes worth of excerpts from that 9 minute video.
Video ripple
Don’t know if this helps... I have an MPP, and I have three gimbals that I have changed out. One is just like yours. Every so often there is a ripple. I thought it was due to excessive wind, but no. I have no idea what causes it, and I could not fix it. I tried changing the motor ribbon, but no improvement. Maybe it’s a bad /weak motor or control board. I gave up and changed to a new gimbal using a different control board. It solved the problem, so I don’t think it’s the IMU or other components.

Last edited:
that is not a normal thing i have never seen it with my MPP ,it seems to have a fault somewhere,
Thank you!

Don’t know if this helps... I have an MPP, and I have three gimbals that I have changed out. One is just like yours. Every so often there is a ripple. I thought it was due to excessive wind, but no. I have no idea what causes it, and I could not fix it. I tried changing the motor ribbon, but no improvement. Maybe it’s a bad /weak motor or control board. I gave up and changed to a new gimbal using a different control board. It solved the problem, so I don’t think it’s the IMU or other components.

Yes this does help me to make a decision. Thank you!
I hate to send things back but since this is brand new I will try to exchange it with the seller for another one.

Last edited:
guys have you checked the rubber bands that holds the gimbal in place? I have my MPP since 2018 and just started getting gimbal hop when coming to stopping. I am not sure if its thre bands but they looked stretched out imo.

guys have you checked the rubber bands that holds the gimbal in place? I have my MPP since 2018 and just started getting gimbal hop when coming to stopping. I am not sure if its thre bands but they looked stretched out imo.
That is exactly the center of thought for my Theory #112 as what causes ripple. I question the validity of all my previous 111 theories.

I think as the bands age, the base plate gets closer to the rear travel limit tab. And under certain stresses like wind and maneuvers, it makes momentary contact, thus causing a brief and random ripple.
I know what it looks like in the FPV and the video. If I temporarily simulate it by purposely filling the above mentioned gap with foam or whatever, then I could see if it looks like the ripples I’ve observed. We’ll see...

I solved my problem by exchanging my drone. The first one apparently was a lemon. In addition to the video problem the flight battery was so low on charge it didn't register and the same for the controller. I had to recalibrate the controller to get rid of forward drift. One stick would not reach 100% in one corner so calibration was difficult. It also lost signal strength enough to trigger an alarm at 600 ft. horizontally. The new MPP has none of these problems.

I think as the bands age, the base plate gets closer to the rear travel limit tab. And under certain stresses like wind and maneuvers, it makes momentary contact, thus causing a brief and random ripple.
I know what it looks like in the FPV and the video. If I temporarily simulate it by purposely filling the above mentioned gap with foam or whatever, then I could see if it looks like the ripples I’ve observed. We’ll see...

Looking forward to your results. I wonder if they even have replacement bands? Also if it could make a difference whether or not you always put the gimble lock back in place when you store it?

That is exactly the center of thought for my Theory #112 as what causes ripple. I question the validity of all my previous 111 theories.

Sounds good, before i begin surgery on my MPP, I will wait on the results of your test

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato