DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trouble with transferred video (and stills)

Plainsman

Reactions
First flights y'day and today, as the weather turned really nice. Problem: When I play back captured video when connected to controller I get perfect video on the iPhone. When I transfer the file to my desktop and play either with or without QuickTime I get jumpy, start-stop footage. Almost like time-lapse. I'm using the recommended high-speed card. What am I doing wrong?

Also, stills taken in flight are not being recorded. Oh, gloom!

Are you sure the played back video from the controller (there really isn't any storage on the RC) isn't really the lower resolution cached video rather than the full resolution recording stored on the SD card?

Even if it is the same resolution video, your PC or video card might not be powerful enough to handle the resolution. If you're playing back directly from the SD card, your card reader/USB transfer rate might not be fast enough for real time playback. Try copying the video file to your PC internal hard drive.

What Mavic so you have and what resolution/codec did you use?

Thanks, DanMan. The card is a SanDisk 64Gb UHS-1 (90MB/s write) so should be fine. I did transfer the footage to my desktop's HD and played it from there. Still no joy. But when I play it back on the connected iPhone, with the RC on, and the Mavic on, it's perfect. I used the standard QuickTime set-up, but don't know what codec that would have been and don't think there is a choice. At least I can't find one.

UHS rating isn't what you're looking for. That specifies a different characteristic that just about all cards have. Look for a number inside a U. If it's 1, it is too slow for 4k. If it is 3, it's OK. Extreme would be the minimum model for SanDisk.

I'm still not totally convinced you're playing the actual high resolution video on your iphone versus the video cache that would be 1080p at best or 720p if live feed is not set to HD.

Do you have video settings set to H.264 or H.265? Not all systems can handle H.265.

What Mavic so you have?

Thanks again for the response, DanMan. Maybe I wasn't clear earlier. (1) When l landed after the flight in question I hit the REPLAY button on the iPhone and got a perfect replay video of the flight. (2) I removed the card from the Mavic Air and put it into my desktop. Tried to play from the card and got the jerky response mentioned, (3) Transferred the file to the desktop, got the same disappointing response.

As to the card... The 58-page manual is not much help when it comes to visual matters. But it does say.... (p33) "A UHS-1 microSD card is required due to the fast read and write speeds required for high-resolution video data." So the manual is wrong? (The number inside the "U" is 3.) What's a poor newbie to do when the "manual" is not giving him the straight dope? :)

I don't have video settings set to anything, since I can't find a way to do that. Do photo settings have to be made when the bird is in the air?

Once I figure out how to do it, what SHOULD I be setting?

And how-about the non-existent stills?

Set it to what your system can handle.

In my case I had jittery playback on my PC with 1080p 60fps recordings until I replaced my cheap, old video card with a somewhat cheap, not so old model card. Imagine if I tried playing 4K recordings on that!
I recently replaced it again this year, but that was to get a dedicated HDMI output to my TV rather than having to swap cables. It improved using Davinci Resolve though.

Yes, the manual Focuses on the wrong specification. UHS-1 is the interface type which all the ones we'd use have. Code 10 used to be the best speed rating, but that scale maxed out and is too slow. Now we have the U rating. I believe Extreme is the lowest grade in SanDisk with the appropriate rating. The MA though will tell you if SD card rating is insufficient.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Try yo play the SD card in another PC, a friends or a computer store if the will allow it so as to eliminate the PC from the equation. As mentioned above, you really need a fast PC to play H265 files, older machine just may not be adequate.

Reactions: joanortiz
Thanks, Harro. I was using an older iMac. Tried it in my MacBook Pro laptop and it ran OK. Guess I'll have to do some updating, or just use the Mavic footage in the laptop. Appreciate the help.

Try yo play the SD card in another PC, a friends or a computer store if the will allow it so as to eliminate the PC from the equation. As mentioned above, you really need a fast PC to play H265 files, older machine just may not be adequate.
Sometimes (but not always), I get jumpy or jerky video when I play the hi-res video back on our desktop, but it's always smooth when I play it on my laptop. RAM is identical I believe, but different processors and whatever else?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada