DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trying to change sUAV rules and Regulations NYC

gzamir

Reactions
Hello
I work for a company that has a Drone team. We are interested in offering our Services. We want to start using our Drone in NYC. We know there is Legislation on the table. I spoke to someone on the staff of one of the council members pushing a bill to help free up Drone usage in NYC. They are telling me it is stuck on the Mayors and Police commissioners table. Does anyone know of a good way we can push this issue forward? Thanks

Attachments

• The New York City Council - File #_ Int 0403-2018.pdf
    191 KB · Views: 7
Maybe you should ask the staff member pushing the bill how you can be helpful?

BTW, I read that proposed law and I'm not sure it actually makes things any better for UAS pilots in NYC. It seems to mainly add a bunch of additional restrictions on top of the existing rules and doesn't seem to open up the possibility of flying outside a few designated parks.

I've said it before, but the FAA needs to step in and enforce their preemption authority here. These rules go far beyond what the FAA claims localities are allowed to do when it comes to UAS regulations.

Last edited:
Reactions: gzamir and Slade
Both Jimmy O'Neil as police commissioner and Mayor DiBlasio have come very strongly against drone usage in the Five Boroughs. The City Council supposedly posted the "IF YOU SEE A DRONE CALL 911" signs all over the place. That said, I've seen some aerial news footage from WABC that certainly looks to be drone produced.

Reactions: gzamir and Slade
I understand the need for regulations and restrictions in a lot of things in life these days, but the bottom line is that the majority of us you are sensible and respect the rule pay (with serious restrictions on our freedom) for the sins of a minority who is clueless or criminal. Drones are a small part of life where that happens. Personally I am all in favor of being fully checked and certified (even at my cost) to get back some of my freedom (i.e. fly a drone, get on an airplane, etc......). The government finds more expedient to take liberties away.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom