DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Zoom Trying to climb the mountain (any ideas on how to get past the 400 foot limit?)

I was flying up the side of a mountain. I was hoping the drone would use the height above the ground in which it was flying. Didn't work with the DJI GO 4 app. Can anyone give me ideas on how to get past this? Thanks!

It doesn't work this way, that'll be too easy :) . Your upper limit is determined by recorded Home altitude at launch, not by the above ground altitude. Therefore you must walk up there, arm your bird and take off. 500m is your maximum, no matter legal or not at this particular place ...

Reactions: SmilingOgre
you should be able to change the max height in the app ,if that doesn't work try resetting the home point when it geofences at the 400 ft point

Set altitude at max allowed, land at distance where you can still have VLOS... don’t turn anything off. Wait 20 seconds or so and then TO and the last landing point will register as 0’ AGL. Then fly on up! Just stay w/in 400’ of the mountainside. I used this trick flying the Santans to get above the summit (2200’).
Of course no RTH to you and you’l have to fly the drone home.

Set altitude at max allowed, land at distance where you can still have VLOS... don’t turn anything off. Wait 20 seconds or so and then TO and the last landing point will register as 0’ AGL. Then fly on up! Just stay w/in 400’ of the mountainside. I used this trick flying the Santans to get above the summit (2200’).
Of course no RTH to you and you’l have to fly the drone home.
That may work. Just make sure you bring an extra pair of pants ;) ...

Reactions: Cobber
What if you are flying up an escarpment wall? There is no landing. There has to be another way?
For those doing inspections There has to be a way to reset home at the max and continue your mission. Is there another app to control the drone that won't be limited.
If its legal to do this then we should be able to tell the App that we know and accept the consequences.
Or is this in a perfect world that is how it should work but not in the real world?

Man, Tomas, that is a wild move, the LZ Leap Frog, LOL. I should try that, many times would it have really helped me out but setting it down would be the place I would fear loosing LOS and radio somewhere flat 400' above myself. . . .HMMMM

It’s too long at 6+ minutes..... but here’s the edited flight.
This is about 2.5 miles south of my home.

Amazing!

Thank you for sharing.

Reactions: Thomas B
I talked to my pilot instructor and the leapfrog advice is wrong. Just set your max altitude to the height of the object and then add 400' to that AGL and you are good... I was hoping there was a better answer, whew...

I talked to my pilot instructor and the leapfrog advice is wrong. Just set your max altitude to the height of the object and then add 400' to that AGL and you are good... I was hoping there was a better answer, whew...
He’s not considering topography. The M2P and Zoom have a hardwired max altitude of 1600’ AGL. The mountain I looked over has it’s peak at 2200’ AGL. What others have termed ”leapfrog” works very well... have your instructor rethink it.
BTW, you still have to stay within 400’ of the ground below even though it would be easy to go to 3200’ using my method.

Reactions: New England Droning
He’s not considering topography. The M2P and Zoom have a hardwired max altitude of 1600’ AGL. The mountain I looked over has it’s peak at 2200’ AGL. What others have termed ”leapfrog” works very well... have your instructor rethink it.
BTW, you still have to stay within 400’ of the ground below even though it would be easy to go to 3200’ using my method.
All I asked him was did we have to do this leapfrog to get above an object that is greater than 400' AGL. What I was referring to is to ask this discussion what happens if you change the object you have to climb to a metal tower or a rock escarpment neither having landing places... I assume my mini2 has the same limitation as its big brother (I'm still learning) but it seems much safer to be able to change the ceiling using the sectional charts for the base AGL and adding the 400'.
Obviously, you are a lot braver than I am because I just hit a little wind and end up in a tree this weekend so bouncing off a rock wall or ending up in another tree would not be the outcome I would want to chance...
Good luck.

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60