DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trying to Decide ...

SpudX

Reactions
No, not whether or not I will go with the 2S (I will), but which controller I will go for. This will be my first drone, and my main use will be for photography. Now I am trying to decide whether or not the smart controller would be best for me or if I the standard controller would be 'enough'? If I go with the standard, I would use it with my iPhone 11 Pro Max. My main concern is if I happen to buy a standard and then find later on that I would prefer the pricier option. Would much rather get it 'right' the first time. Thoughts? Opinions? I will likely wait a few days before responding so that I can get a handful of opinions. Would enjoy hearing from you, especially if your main use is photography, as well.

Thanks in advance, and thank you for your advice and patience with my questions as I enter into the DJI family.

I've been very happy with the standard controller and my Samsung S10 phone or Samsung tablet. I just don't see significant advantages to the Smart Controller that would justify the cost. And I'm aware of at least one Youtube video that suggests that there are problems using the Smart Controller with the Air 2S.

Also, I'd suggest opting for the Fly More Combo, if only for the additional two batteries. Is it even possible to get the basic drone package or the combo with the Smart Controller instead of the standard?

Reactions: SpudX and ckoerner
I'm quite happy with the Smart Controller and the Air 2S. There's just something satisfying about the bigger, brighter screen and not having to fool with cables between my phone and the standard RC.

It is expensive.. I do know that the fly app 1.4.2 didn't work at all with the SC, but it was easy to regress to 1.4.0 which works fine. DJI will work the bugs out. I find the range is good between the drone and the Smart Controller, but the range between the standard controller and drone is even better. Still staying within visual rules there's range to spare with the Smart Controller. I've seen the recent negative reviews of the Air 2S with the Smart controller, but can find other reviews that state it works fine. My experience is fine.. but I also understand the included controller is just fine too. It depends on what you want in terms of ease of use and screen size and brightness. I have no regrets with my purchase, but if I hadn't experienced the SC I'd likely be just as happy with the standard issue.

Reactions: SpudX
I have both controllers and am a photographer / filmmaker. I prefer the smart controller. It has a wheel which allows me to smoothly zoom in and out. I can do this with the standard controller, but not as smooth. I also really appreciate the brighter, larger screen. The price tag is tough to swallow, but if I had to do it again, I would buy it again.

Thanks for sharing!

No, not whether or not I will go with the 2S (I will), but which controller I will go for. This will be my first drone, and my main use will be for photography. Now I am trying to decide whether or not the smart controller would be best for me or if I the standard controller would be 'enough'? If I go with the standard, I would use it with my iPhone 11 Pro Max. My main concern is if I happen to buy a standard and then find later on that I would prefer the pricier option. Would much rather get it 'right' the first time. Thoughts? Opinions? I will likely wait a few days before responding so that I can get a handful of opinions. Would enjoy hearing from you, especially if your main use is photography, as well.

Thanks in advance, and thank you for your advice and patience with my questions as I enter into the DJI family.
I have no experience with a smart controller, but I am thrilled as heck with the regular controller for any and all still and video photography I do with my Mavic 2 Pro. I use an iPhone Pro Max 11 but prefer to use my Apple iPad 9.5 inch for a bigger screen.

Would much rather get it 'right' the first time.
I would say that getting it right the first time in photography is not going to happen. My suggestion is to stay with your phone. Keep in mind that you can only select the shot you want, expose as best you can and then frame. If you are just going touring on your screen then maybe you might need a brilliant image, but otherwise familiarity with the location should do fine. You can't take too many shots. They're practically free. You are never going to see on your screen what you will eventually see in your video.

I'm quite happy with the Smart Controller and the Air 2S. There's just something satisfying about the bigger, brighter screen and not having to fool with cables between my phone and the standard RC.

It is expensive.. I do know that the fly app 1.4.2 didn't work at all with the SC, but it was easy to regress to 1.4.0 which works fine. DJI will work the bugs out. I find the range is good between the drone and the Smart Controller, but the range between the standard controller and drone is even better. Still staying within visual rules there's range to spare with the Smart Controller. I've seen the recent negative reviews of the Air 2S with the Smart controller, but can find other reviews that state it works fine. My experience is fine.. but I also understand the included controller is just fine too. It depends on what you want in terms of ease of use and screen size and brightness. I have no regrets with my purchase, but if I hadn't experienced the SC I'd likely be just as happy with the standard issue.
1.4.2 is compatible and works just fine with the Smart Controller....Just has to be downloaded and installed manually

Define "Manually". I keep getting update notices on the sc, and when I download it the cameras don't work. when I revert back to 1.4.0 they work again. Thanks.
Maybe this is how you are doing it? But anyway, you have to point the SC's browser to the DJI download site and get the Fly app SDK that way. Once you have it downloaded, open it and it will install ....I do suggest clearing all the recents and the cache in the SC so it is as clean as possible. I have 1.4.2 working on the SC and it is just fine

I'll try that. Thanks. You'd think the alert from DJI through the SC would download the proper version... but it doesn't. At least not so far.

Maybe this is how you are doing it? But anyway, you have to point the SC's browser to the DJI download site and get the Fly app SDK that way. Once you have it downloaded, open it and it will install ....I do suggest clearing all the recents and the cache in the SC so it is as clean as possible. I have 1.4.2 working on the SC and it is just fine
I assume you meant Android APK. Tried that, tapped download and nothing happened. Let the SC update the app automatically, cameras failed again, so went back to 1.4.0.

Last edited:
I assume you meant Android APK. Tried that, tapped download and nothing happened. Let the SC update the app automatically, cameras failed again, so went back to 1.4.0.
Yes, APK, sorry...Did it actually download the file?.... I suggest doing a "reset to factory" through the settings menu of the SC...then re-try the update? No problems with 1.4.2 on my SC so It must be compatible

I have both, the standard controller that comes with the A2S and the SC. They both have there purpose and both work great.

I take the standard controller when I go to tougher flying spots where I feel there could be a chance of dropping it or whatever and take my smart controller when I’m in a more predictable comfortable environment.

Hands down the smart controller is definitely the way to go if you have the money to spend/invest.

I also have a Mini 2 so I’m comfortable and have no complaints with the standard controller, it’s the same as the A2S.

If you have the extra cash, go for it, you won’t be disappointed[emoji818]️No update issues no lag issues as some have mentioned, love my SC!

Yes, APK, sorry...Did it actually download the file?.... I suggest doing a "reset to factory" through the settings menu of the SC...then re-try the update? No problems with 1.4.2 on my SC so It must be compatible
When I touch download the APK nothing happens… no download…

I've seen a few Youtube videos that suggest that the Smart Controller isn't as responsive as the standard controller. Regardless, I don't think there's an Air 2S package that includes the Smart Controller. So you might as well just get the Fly More package and see if the standard controller is enough for you. And if it isn't, you can spend the $750 for the Smart Controller. Just to be clear, there isn't an Air 2S package that DOESN'T include the standard controller.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851