DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trying to get some help Mavic pro Distance issues.

MWS

Reactions
I have posted on other forums and it seems no one wants to assist in answering my questions. So I now joined here, cannot believe the DJI forums are so non helpful. smh....

I bought my mavic less then a month ago, I have gotten comfy flying it out to farther distances now and I am starting to think mine is not working right. I live in a rural area in missouri with mostly farms and trees no tall buildings ortons of wifi city type living, more like country.

I have watched several videos and see guys flying from 10k ft to 17k ft out at approx 200ft up or more.

My Mavic has been completely updated to .900, controller, drone, batteries etc. I do not have service on the phone I use normally and have all radios off on it. I have used my cell and my tablet also to verify. I cannot fly at my home over about 800-900ft away before dropping transmission video feed. I can however fly the unit and return from the drop and gain video again. I did last weekend at my friends lake house fly around the lake over the lake to a distance of 3300ft before losing video feed. I have never in a normal area been able to exceed 900-1000ft distance in any area except the lake.

I contacted support just to get the typical response update your drone and controller and which unit is it even though I provided the serial number which I bought a policy on with them....can't believe they could not tell which craft it was from the serial. Either way it is what it is at this point I am waiting for a reply from them on distances etc so far they have not confirmed what is normal.

Can others here let me know if I have an issue? I bought it through Amazon and have a few days left to exchange it if this is not normal, I would assume I can switch the policy to the new one if it was within 30 days.

Thanks for the help you provide in advance.

Two things to consider:

1 - make sure the FLAT part of your antennas (not the tips) are pointed at your Mavic. If you look in the manual it tries to explain this but it doesn't sink in for most (me included) the first time around.

2 - trees. I have the same issue but not as bad as you. My house is surrounded by trees and rolling hills. With a stock controller I can get out to about 2,500 feet or so before my signal gets very dicey. BEFORE I learned that I was using the antennas improperly that distance was MUCH short - more like 900-1,500 feet on a good day. But either way - trees will absorb a lot of the signal. If you fly higher you'll get better clearance and a more direct line of sight between controller and Mavic.

Reactions: Gringorio
Trees are tall but only about 30-40 ft . I flight at 100-200+ ft up.

I have the antenna correct i do not lose signal for the drone i loose video. I am running the factory video settings.

I have the antenna correct i do not lose signal for the drone i loose video. I am running the factory video settings.
Try 400 feet up and see if that improves it.

Also, in the settings within the GO4 app... go into the HD settings and check the radio interference setting to see if you need to switch channels manually.

Are there ever trees between the remote controller and the Mavic? Or is there always a direct line of sight (with no obstacles in between)?

Do you know when this happened? Which firmware?
f02ba8c04d535936dce2e3b6c9e93266.jpg

Are there ever trees between the remote controller and the Mavic? Or is there always a direct line of sight (with no obstacles in between)?
If the trees are 30-40 feet tall and he's only flying at 100-200 feet then I'd expect that at some very short distance out the trees are between the controller and the Mavic.

Reactions: nhmavic
If the trees are 30-40 feet tall and he's only flying at 100-200 feet then I'd expect that at some very short distance out the trees are between the controller and the Mavic.
Hang in there... we won't have to suspect for long ;)

What height do you all fly at? Also to make note the drone will still fly with controller but the video feed drops.

The time I was flying over the lake I got only 3300 ft straight line of sight before video transmission dropped. I thought about grabbing another unit and testing it in the same area to see if it is the same and then return it. I just want to know I do not have any issues.

Are you able to fly to the longer distances with the standard 4k video stream? or to go far do you cut the stream to the 720p stream.

Tonight I will downgrade to .600 and see about distance difference.

There were rumors, so far uncorroborated, that power levels were dropped in the 700fw to deter long distance BLOS flight
Can not confirm - i did with .800 and .900 in EC country a little bit more than 5000m (3.1miles)

The time I was flying over the lake I got only 3300 ft straight line of sight before video transmission dropped. I thought about grabbing another unit and testing it in the same area to see if it is the same and then return it. I just want to know I do not have any issues.

Are you able to fly to the longer distances with the standard 4k video stream? or to go far do you cut the stream to the 720p stream.

Tonight I will downgrade to .600 and see about distance difference

MWS,

Any update with the downgraded FW?

I am having a similar issue with mine.

Paul

I think that we are seeing the begining of the flight distance limit being implemented.
First thru software, next thru the actual hardware as in the next version of Mavic, (and other future Phantoms/Inspires).

I bought another one last night flew it 3300 ft last night near my home still only .5 miles. before losing regular video transmission. This was on .400 firmware. I am updating the new one tonight to .900 and rechecking it vs the old one to verify if any improvement. but with .900 on the old one and .400 on new one i was only able to hit about 400ft further but the video was better and more stable on the .400 version also no disconnect of the app.

I will test both again tonight on firmware .900 and report.

Time to look at hacking the output levels in the remotes.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7