DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trying to understand FAA rules

allears

Reactions
I'm a beginner considering buying a Mavic Air 2. I've been reading up on FAA rules and am not sure I understand them.

I live in a small town with a municipal airport right in the middle. My house is in a zone E2, even though it's not next to the airport or near the flight path. On the maps and apps I've tried, the ceiling shows as '0'.

Does this mean I'll be unable to fly in my back yard, even if I request a LAANC permission? My aim would only be short flights well under 100' just to learn to control the drone.

I guess my basic question is, do the ceiling indications on the map indicate absolute limits, or can I apply for permission to fly for recreational purposes?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

You won't be able to fly in that zone but you do have areas around you that you can with LAANC approval. A short drive and you won't even need that. I've started using this little map to find areas to fly. I'm not far from you (Corning) and it's pretty well wide open here.

I'm a beginner considering buying a Mavic Air 2. I've been reading up on FAA rules and am not sure I understand them.

I live in a small town with a municipal airport right in the middle. My house is in a zone E2, even though it's not next to the airport or near the flight path. On the maps and apps I've tried, the ceiling shows as '0'.

Does this mean I'll be unable to fly in my back yard, even if I request a LAANC permission? My aim would only be short flights well under 100' just to learn to control the drone.

I guess my basic question is, do the ceiling indications on the map indicate absolute limits, or can I apply for permission to fly for recreational purposes?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
As a recreational pilot, you cannot fly in an area where the max altitude is 0', nor can you get a waiver.

If you had your Part 107 certification you could apply, in advance, to fly for a specific purpose. It is not immediate like LAANC. You would need to submit a request to FAA Drone Zone at least several days before you planned to fly. If granted, you would be instructed to call the local control tower before you take off and after you land. You would also need to unlock the zone in DJI Geo Zones prior to your flight or your drone won't lift off.

I had to go through all of this to video a golf course near a small regional airport where the max was 0' (I am Part 107 Certified). Could not get approval for a whole week in one request. Had to request as individual days.

Wish the news was better. You will need to find an area where the max altitude is not 0'. These will show in the grid as you expand outward from your location.

Reactions: umanbean
Sorry that you won’t be able to fly out of your backyard, but the good news is this: you appear to be a conscientious flyer who is interested in flying in accordance with FAA rules. Safe and happy flying!

Reactions: Papa Beach
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird