DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

TSA vetting - what will cause you not to pass the vetting process

onespeed

Reactions
Looking at the requirements for the part 107 license process:

Must be vetted by the Transportation Safety Administration (TSA)

So how clean does your record have to be to be approved by the TSA?

Based on information provided, a check of the terrorist watch list and a criminal background check.
Rejection for the criminal background check seems to be a TSA call, and they don't publish specifics, but can be appealed.

Well, by law the TSA MUST publish their policy in title and code. That's like the US Courts not posting what is and is not legal.
The TSA must, and is obligated [under law] to provide a detailed list of the qualifications and DISQUALIFICATIONS regarding a background check for all public to see at any time, prior to their application for a Commercial Drone License.
This whole thing about the TSA doing it on a "call it as we see it" basis is not a proper, legal or ethical procedure.
I have looked high and low, and i can not find anything from the TSA on this matter.
Furthermore, I sent the TSA an email regarding this very concern, and this was their reply:

"Thank you for contacting the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Contact Center.

After careful review, we have determined that your inquiry falls outside TSA's jurisdiction.
How? I asked you what convictions can disqualify me from obtaining a Commercial Drone License? After all, you are the people who do the background check and vetting and make the final decision! Yet you aren't allowed to give me a list of what crimes can disqualify me; saving me the headache of studying for hours on in, taking the test, paying nearly $200, and waiting weeks to find out that i cant get my license after all?
Or, you could merely publish the cans and cant's online for people to read, and if my conviction is listed then I won't waste my time and money.

When you apply for a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Operation and Certification of Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (sUAS) remote pilot certificate, the FAA forwards your information to TSA for vetting. TSA does not directly interact with applicants. Once vetting is complete, the FAA may issue the certificate."
MAY issue you the certificate... is the key word here. No promises....

If you have additional questions on the FAA's rules or the sUAS application process, please visit www.faa.gov/uas.
Went there, did that... NOTHING regarding the qualifying criteria regarding a background check
TSA Contact Center.

Funny, they wont tell you in advance whether or not you'll pass the vetting.
INSTEAD: you have to take the test, spend $170, and wait and see. If you are denied by the TSA... You don't get a refund. and you lost your money. FACT. Seems almost like they set this scam up deliberately. I am concerned because I have a Felony Domestic Battery from 2009, and I am going into business as a real estate videographer. I am hoping that the vetting process is the same as it is for manned pilots, as I have found the qualifications and there's no mention of my type of conviction in the list.

Also.. WHAT DOES IT MATTER IF I AM USING MY DROME FOR BUSINESS PURPOSES? What is the difference?
I still bought the drone from a store, i still fly it, it still take pictures! Yet, if I want to use it to earn money, I have to apply, go thru a background check, and pay money??!! Who is the nut job that thought of this?!

Isn't anyone suing the TSA???

A terrorist isn't going to apply for a commercial drone license; they aren't weeding out the bad guys here!

Last edited:
Looking at the requirements for the part 107 license process:

Must be vetted by the Transportation Safety Administration (TSA)

So how clean does your record have to be to be approved by the TSA?

When you pass your test applying for your certificate, somewhere along the line someone has to determine who you are (show your driver's license at the testing center). That is basically the "vetting" for a certificate. This could be done through the website IRACA at a testing center, a CFI could do this on line, or it could be done at an FAA office. You're overthinking this.

Last edited:
I disagree.
The FAA clearly states that the TSA will perform a criminal background check, (vetting) and... based on ones’ criminal record, they may (or may not) approve him or her for a license. However, the TSA fail to state what specific types of crimes will disqualify a person from obtaining TSA approval; It’s not just trafficking, murder, or kidnapping; apparently, it’s at their discretion. And that’s pretty shady. The FAA has a list online of offenses that will stop you from obtaining a manned pilots license. Yet, the TSA does not for a drone license, and they’re the ones doing the vetting. Go figure! For someone who has a criminal background and is trying to make a go of the drone business, I don’t feel that I’m overthinking this at all; I’m merely looking for answers... answers no one seems to have. Not even the TSA and the FAA themselves.

I disagree.
The FAA clearly states that the TSA will perform a criminal background check, (vetting) and... based on ones’ criminal record, they may (or may not) approve him or her for a license. However, the TSA fail to state what specific types of crimes will disqualify a person from obtaining TSA approval; It’s not just trafficking, murder, or kidnapping; apparently, it’s at their discretion. And that’s pretty shady. The FAA has a list online of offenses that will stop you from obtaining a manned pilots license. Yet, the TSA does not for a drone license, and they’re the ones doing the vetting. Go figure! For someone who has a criminal background and is trying to make a go of the drone business, I don’t feel that I’m overthinking this at all; I’m merely looking for answers... answers no one seems to have. Not even the TSA and the FAA themselves.

I could tell you as a commercial pilot and certified flight instructor what I previously posted is all that is done. As a CFI I have to take a TSA training segment when I renew my CFI that briefs us on the law and the requirements to check a student's ID upon the beginning of flight training or before going on IACRA to complete any certification application TO INCLUDE verifying a individual who passes a 107 exam. It also briefs us on reporting and suspicious activity.

Foreigners go through a different process.

This is from AOPA and breaks it down.

Guide to Remote Pilot Certification - AOPA

"If" the TSA does any direct background check it is not indicated in FARs 107 or 61 and is not apparent in the application process. FAR 61.18 does address a "threat assessment" and the denial or revocation of a certificate based on this.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand the disagreement.
A CFI has zero ability to check anyone's criminal background, other than what is available on the internet to everyone.
They have no special access regarding any of this.

TSA does, and does so in this process.
I think he's right.
The TSA should publish a list that delineates what convictions are allowable for successful background checks, and what are not.

A CFI has zero ability to check anyone's criminal background, other than what is available on the internet to everyone.

I think he's right.
The TSA should publish a list that delineates what convictions are allowable for successful background checks, and what are not.

Show me where and when (in the FARs) the TSA does a background check of an airman's application?

Last edited:
OK - I'll stand to be corrected.

I took it as if an individual has to go out on their own and get cleared, my bad

"A confirmation email will be sent when an applicant has completed the TSA security background check. This email will provide instructions for printing a copy of the temporary remote pilot certificate from IACRA"

Last edited:

I think he's right.

I have done numerous criminal background checks for pre employment purposes's. The freedom of information act makes it possible for anyone to walk into any court house and ask for everything they have on any individual. From speeding tickets, bankruptcy, to murders and divorces. If I can do it, I am sure the TSA or anyone else can do it too. It is all public information. Unless it was a minor, then that record MIGHT be sealed by the judge that handled the case.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
I understand that, and I mentioned it in my post:
"other than what is available on the internet to everyone."

A CFI has no special access to anything about an individual.
The TSA does.

I understand that, and I mentioned it in my post:
"other than what is available on the internet to everyone."

A CFI has no special access to anything about an individual.
The TSA does.
I didnt say internet. Records are not all on the internet. I said I walk into the court house and read the court records. ANY court records. I am not CFI, TSA or anything else for that matter.

Whatever.
Not my intent to quibble.
Most of this stuff is available through whatever means.

TSA has a lot more access.
CFI's do not.

Every person in the united states has exactly the same ability to check someones criminal record. Even prisoners.
It doesn't matter their workplace or title. Thats all I am saying. All it takes is a phone call. Period.
Thats why most parents try and try to keep their young adult children from getting a felony charge.
Felony's arent easy to get, you really have to do something stupid. but having a felony record is VERY costly to live with when it comes to freedoms and such.

Every person in the united states has exactly the same ability to check someones criminal record. Even prisoners.
It doesn't matter their workplace or title. Thats all I am saying. All it takes is a phone call. Period.
Thats why most parents try and try to keep their young adult children from getting a felony charge.
Felony's arent easy to get, you really have to do something stupid. but having a felony record is VERY costly to live with when it comes to freedoms and such.

What you are saying is incorrect, and you can't nuance it by changing terms.
"Criminal records" are not "TSA vetting."

In this case TSA vetting is what is done, and that process is potentially much more detailed and involved that what is a "criminal record" check.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ