DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

tupidly pushed the limit of my drone

Status
Not open for further replies.

elfatih

Reactions
I stupidly pushed the limit of my drone and its battery, because it wasn't too far from me.

It got to 10%, reported "critical battery", and auto-landed in the bushes on a hill. I did not see it go down, but I do have 13 seconds of video of the auto-landing starting (saved on the DJI Go App).

It also is reporting the last position on the DJI Go App, which hopefully is accurate.

I couldn't go look for it today because this happened just after sunset. By the time I got over to the location, it was pitch dark and I gave up until tomorrow.

There is just about zero chance that someone else will find it. It appears to be in a location in the hills in a residential area where people rarely venture. If the location is accurate, I can probably hack through the bushes tomorrow morning and see if I can find it.

Here are my questions:

1) What does the DJI Phantom 4 do when it critical-battery-auto-lands and then finds itself in bushes. Does it attempt to fly off somewhere else? When does it give up and shut itself off?

2) Is there any way to get the DJI Go app to give me the exact GPS coordinates, rather than just the picture on a map? I was able to see it on a hybrid map, which I can use to walk there tomorrow. But GPS coordinates would be best.

3) Given that the DJI Go App has video of it starting to auto-land, is there a pretty high chance that the "red arrow" on the display is its actual position?

Any other suggestions?

please

It won't fly off anywhere, and depending on your settings it might hover just above the 'geound' until the battery really runs out.
You'll find it at the last GPS location.

I1) What does the DJI Phantom 4 do when it critical-battery-auto-lands and then finds itself in bushes. Does it attempt to fly off somewhere else? When does it give up and shut itself off?
It will shut off once the battery gets to the pre-programmed state in order to prevent 100% discharge.

Any other suggestions?
Just the very obvious one... follow the recommendation of being _back_ to home point at _30%_... not a distance away at 10% when it is dark. Simply a loss waiting to happen.

just above the 'geound' until the battery

And 3 minutes before you posted this thread you started a thread with this..​
I'm new to drone flying and Mavic 2 Pro is my first DJI drone and by far the best.
I've been using DJI Naza M in two of my custom builds and have been satisfied with it but Mavic 2 is a huge leap forward

I'm reading this forum for the past few weeks and already got some useful information.
Hope to get in touch with some local DJI drone flyers for some recreational pastime

Cool Chicken.gif

10% on the M2 can still get you 10k ft in calm air. You need to hold the throttle up to counter the auto land descent. I recommend everyone enable voltage display on the main screen. At 3.30v you have about 30 seconds left.Screenshot_20181122-134224_YouTube.jpeg

Reactions: TR Ganey and Aumoe
2) Is there any way to get the DJI Go app to give me the exact GPS coordinates, rather than just the picture on a map? I was able to see it on a hybrid map, which I can use to walk there tomorrow. But GPS coordinates would be best.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer - Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
If you post a link to the report it gives you, I can go into it and find your last recorded position .

It won't fly off anywhere, and depending on your settings it might hover just above the 'geound' until the battery really runs out.
You'll find it at the last GPS location.
I had the same thing happen .It went down in very tall thick smamp weeds . i had to almost step on it to see it . It will be exactly where the line on the gps map ends . You will find it .

1. New to drones.
2. Cost USD$1.5k
3. Flying after sunset.
4. Not flying is an open space but with hills and bushes when OA won't be effective due to low light.
5. Ignored 30% low battery warning to return home but continued to fly until 10% critical battery level.
It didn't cross your mind to be a little cautious until your are more familiar with your expensive investment?

1. New to drones.
2. Cost USD$1.5k
3. Flying after sunset.
4. Not flying is an open space but with hills and bushes when OA won't be effective due to low light.
5. Ignored 30% low battery warning to return home but continued to fly until 10% critical battery level.
It didn't cross your mind to be a little cautious until your are more familiar with your expensive investment?
Unfortunately in this day and age common sense is the least common of all senses ;)

When the battery prematurely failed on my MA the last image enabled me to find my drone. Looking closely at the direction of shadows helped me pinpoint it relative to other objects. However, in the last seconds before it landed it seemed to lose satellite lock and drifted left, so it may be 10ft or more from where you think it might be.

Wow.
Looks like you had a great time.
Nice vid!

Sorry guys this one got away from me but taking care of it .
Sorry but no need for this thread so I am closing it .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR