DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Turning Off obstacle Avoidence.

ZUCSTA

Reactions
So, After continuing problems with CPU and A few problems with with sun etc, I decided To turn off my obstacle Avoidence.
What I found was A higher Std Speed plus longer Flight times.
I fly the beaches alot and my RTH is set High enough to avoid any surrounding abstacles.
Has anyone else noticed how much power the sensors suck up?

Stands to reason that if you turn off OA you would get better battery life, as for speed it's in the manual, flight without OA is like the old ATTI mode but with GPS lock.

Stands to reason that if you turn off OA you would get better battery life, as for speed it's in the manual, flight without OA is like the old ATTI mode but with GPS lock.
Atti mode from my understanding is ATTI mode is no GPS lock otherwise it's Not Atti mode. Can u refer me to the manual where it "obviously" says you gain more speed?

Atti mode from my understanding is ATTI mode is no GPS lock otherwise it's Not Atti mode. Can u refer me to the manual where it "obviously" says you gain more speed?
Obstavle avoidance only works with speeds at or below 22 MPH, so when it is enabled the Mavic restricts the speed to that. When you turn it off your top speed increases to around 32 MPH. I’m going to have to try turning mine off more often now and see how much longer flight times I get. -CF

Is there a trade off between turning off OA in "P" mode vs simply switching your controller to sport mode other than faster speed in sport mode?

I think #Bernie707 the flight characteristics will be the same, however a simple flick of the side switch is quicker/more convenient.

Is there a trade off between turning off OA in "P" mode vs simply switching your controller to sport mode other than faster speed in sport mode?
Sport mode has more agressive expo settings as well as higher top speed.

Reactions: Simmo
How do I disable Obstacle Avoidance on the Mavic Pro?

upload_2018-5-30_17-12-2.png

First menu option in Visual Navigation settings.

I am with @ZUCSTA on this and leave it off all the time. I prefer to have the extra speed and I find the false OA's when turning into the Sun to be a nuisance. I try not to be silly enough to fly into to things.

Cannot say I have noticed extra endurance, apart from there being anecdotal belief that 30mph is a sweet spot for ground range. But as flight at this speed with OA active is not possible, it cannot be compared directly. I suppose someone could do two flights at 20mph with OA off and then on and report findings.

My standard M.O. is to fly with OA selected Off in P mode, rather than operating routinely in S mode to force OA off. I like to keep the S mode performance gains up my sleeve for when I need them. It gets really windy where I live and it is not uncommon for the wind to overwhelm my Mavic in P mode and it drifts downwind. A quick toggle to S and/or a descent gets me back in control. It may have changed but airdata.com used to only derive calculated winds in P mode and not in S which was a further reason to stay out of S.

Edit - S mode allows for greater pitch than P mode. Cannot recall the exact angle. So into a strong headwind the Mavic can reach its respective pitch limit for the selected mode even though it is stationary in space (or blowing away downwind). This is why you need to use S mode to proceed upwind into a strong headwind, even though actual GPS speed is well below the 22 mph achievable with OA active.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242