DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Two and a Half Years and Still Learning - Yaw vs POI Mode

EricJT

Reactions
One of the things I have struggled with over the years is taking landscape video that as you yaw 360 degrees around the M2P's vertical axis.....doing it slowly and smoothly can be challenging even when dialing down the yaw sensitivity and using stick extensions.

A couple of weeks ago, I started using the POI intelligent flight modes and figured out the power of the POI mode for landscape video. Once you have set your central point, you can when flying decrease the radius of the orbit, alter the altitude, and yaw the drone to look at whatever angle you want for the video....all in real time. This results in an ultra-smooth 360 degree video pan, free of yaw speed inconsistencies from my trying to control the yaw manually from my SC.

I suspect this has been discussed somewhere before, but thought I would share my experience.

I hadn't seen that yet, but I think it's a great tip. Interestingly, even though the M2's have sensitivity setting I've found them to be less useful than those with the Gofly app.

Also, while it might be counterintuitive and stick extensions seem logical (I have some for my M2), I also have SHORTER sticks for my Mini 2 and find that the lowered position of my thumbs with the short sticks give me more control than the extensions do. Seems illogical, but that's my experience. I haven't found the same shorter sticks for the M2 yet. Interesting, no?

I hadn't seen that yet, but I think it's a great tip. Interestingly, even though the M2's have sensitivity setting I've found them to be less useful than those with the Gofly app.

Also, while it might be counterintuitive and stick extensions seem logical (I have some for my M2), I also have SHORTER sticks for my Mini 2 and find that the lowered position of my thumbs with the short sticks give me more control than the extensions do. Seems illogical, but that's my experience. I haven't found the same shorter sticks for the M2 yet. Interesting, no?
The shorter sticks is interesting....I find with my SC's stick extensions and using the side of thumb to yaw, my essential tremor poses a smoothness challenge. Hence the POI outward facing circle solution I discovered.

Reactions: Barbara
The shorter sticks is interesting....I find with my SC's stick extensions and using the side of thumb to yaw, my essential tremor poses a smoothness challenge. Hence the POI outward facing circle solution I discovered.
Try flying without sticks for a time and see what happens. I know one YouTube guru suggests that. The benefit to no sticks is that without the leverage you gain resistance, which some people try to build in with various devices.

FWIW I am a "thumber", not a "pincher" and find it difficult to hold onto the controller and pinch the sticks at the same time. I imagine if there was a way to support the controller without holding onto it, that might change my ability to pinch. So lowering the sticks change the way the muscularity in my thumbs work. So shorter sticks, even no sticks might be an option.

One of the things I have struggled with over the years is taking landscape video that as you yaw 360 degrees around the M2P's vertical axis.....doing it slowly and smoothly can be challenging even when dialing down the yaw sensitivity and using stick extensions.

A couple of weeks ago, I started using the POI intelligent flight modes and figured out the power of the POI mode for landscape video. Once you have set your central point, you can when flying decrease the radius of the orbit, alter the altitude, and yaw the drone to look at whatever angle you want for the video....all in real time. This results in an ultra-smooth 360 degree video pan, free of yaw speed inconsistencies from my trying to control the yaw manually from my SC.

I suspect this has been discussed somewhere before, but thought I would share my experience.
This video helped me a lot.

Reactions: 4006448
Interesting. I too have to deal with essential tremor and have tried various methods to get around it and achieve smooth flight/video. Stick extensions, using the pinch technique and a lanyard or mounted on a tripod. Not ideal but it works.

I've used active track, on moving and stationary objects, but I've not yet tried POI. As shown in the video above, active track works really well, letting you control the drone pretty much as you want all while staying focused on the target object and achieving a smooth video. It tends to fail if your target is not one of the software preferred objects (Boat/car/person).

After reading your post, and re-reading the manual on POI, I can see that this could be a very useful technique. I never considered an "outward facing" circle. I can see using the GPS method for selecting the center of the circle (subject)..... Must go out and try this.

there is no way i can fly my mavic and shoot smooth video better than mission planned video, but thats me

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AASHIANAPC