DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Two guys in the same area flying within 5 miles of airports

Raptorman

Reactions
Like many of you I've been watching videos about the Mavic including video shot from them. In my little corner of the world near Salt Lake City Utah I've seen video from two different people flying within the 5 mile exclusion zone of an airport. In the first case B4UFLY indicated he was within 5 miles of 2 airports and a helipad. In the second case he was within 5 miles of an airport and 3 helipads.

I commented on the videos and informed them of the problem so my guess is they are newbies and were unaware of the rules. It also suggests that the DJI Go app's geofencing isn't 100% accurate or perhaps there are problems with the way it's operating so that they are being permitted to fly where they should not.

When I first commented on the first video I said "That location is within 5 miles of the Provo airport and Spanish Fork-Springville airport as well. Don't be that guy!" and a number of folks replied that the geofencing would prohibit his flight if it was illigeal. I then looked closer with the B4UFLY app and made a second comment "The FAA app, B4UFLY, clearly indicates not one but three nearby airports: Utah Valley Medical Center (Helipad, 3.08 miles), Provo Muni (3.85 miles) and Spanish Fork-Springville (4.32 miles). In order to be permitted to fly he would have to contact all three airports to get permission. The DJI Go app may well have allowed it, but the FAA has a 5 mile exclusion zone and he was within it with 3 different registered airports (2 airports and 1 helipad). I live in the SLC area and fly a DJI Inspire 1 drone and would prefer that my right to fly not be eliminated. The approach path for runway 31 at Provo Muni is within a couple miles so a basing turn from the east would be right over the golf course." -- the next day the folks that had said it was OK had deleted there posts.

We have been expecting a new round of newbies getting into drones with the Mavic and that some would have little knowledge or concern for the rules and it surely looks like that's happening. That two separate guys in nearly the same area would have Mavic's at this time is perhaps a bit surprising, even more that they would both publish video showing themselves breaking the rules.

Brian

Like many of you I've been watching videos about the Mavic including video shot from them. In my little corner of the world near Salt Lake City Utah I've seen video from two different people flying within the 5 mile exclusion zone of an airport. In the first case B4UFLY indicated he was within 5 miles of 2 airports and a helipad. In the second case he was within 5 miles of an airport and 3 helipads.

I commented on the videos and informed them of the problem so my guess is they are newbies and were unaware of the rules. It also suggests that the DJI Go app's geofencing isn't 100% accurate or perhaps there are problems with the way it's operating so that they are being permitted to fly where they should not.

When I first commented on the first video I said "That location is within 5 miles of the Provo airport and Spanish Fork-Springville airport as well. Don't be that guy!" and a number of folks replied that the geofencing would prohibit his flight if it was illigeal. I then looked closer with the B4UFLY app and made a second comment "The FAA app, B4UFLY, clearly indicates not one but three nearby airports: Utah Valley Medical Center (Helipad, 3.08 miles), Provo Muni (3.85 miles) and Spanish Fork-Springville (4.32 miles). In order to be permitted to fly he would have to contact all three airports to get permission. The DJI Go app may well have allowed it, but the FAA has a 5 mile exclusion zone and he was within it with 3 different registered airports (2 airports and 1 helipad). I live in the SLC area and fly a DJI Inspire 1 drone and would prefer that my right to fly not be eliminated. The approach path for runway 31 at Provo Muni is within a couple miles so a basing turn from the east would be right over the golf course." -- the next day the folks that had said it was OK had deleted there posts.

We have been expecting a new round of newbies getting into drones with the Mavic and that some would have little knowledge or concern for the rules and it surely looks like that's happening. That two separate guys in nearly the same area would have Mavic's at this time is perhaps a bit surprising, even more that they would both publish video showing themselves breaking the rules.

Brian

You are correct. If they had been jacked up by the FAA, their laughable excuses would not fly - so to speak, that is. ;-)

If they were FAA certified as part 107 UAS airmen, the restrictions are less sever. The 5 mile rule is no longer in effect, but the pilot must observe airspace classifications (which are much less stringent than the 5 mile rule.) Specifically, smaller airfields are not generally considered controlled airspace by the FAA if you are certified.

I got a notice that the second guy had responded to my comment and thankfully he was apologetic and said he'd download the B4UFLY app. Some folks are open to getting on with the program, some people are not.

Brian

This is definitely a concern as they keep "dumbing down" the drones so really anybody can fly and with all the sensors they will keep getting more difficult to crash. You will keep seeing new people in the hobby and more and more rules will get broken. And when they are so small and can fly so far the inevitable will sooner or later happen. I think with the technology it will just breed more and more irresponsible pilots. I might be mistaken but I wouldn't be surprised to see more and more limits being forced on us, such as geofencing. Might be wrong but reading some of the people and their antics I think it is just a matter of time.

Last edited:
If they were FAA certified as part 107 UAS airmen, the restrictions are less sever. The 5 mile rule is no longer in effect, but the pilot must observe airspace classifications (which are much less stringent than the 5 mile rule.) Specifically, smaller airfields are not generally considered controlled airspace by the FAA if you are certified.

Haven't heard from the first guy but the second guy came back with an apology and it's pretty clear he was unaware of the rules. I pointed him in the right direction and one can only hope that he's one less person to worry about.

Brian

The rule is if you are a hobby flyer you may notify the tower of your flight plans.

Public Law 112-95, Section 336 requires model aircraft operators to notify the airport operator and air traffic control tower (if one is located at the airport) prior to operating within 5 miles of an airport.

SOURCE:Fly for Fun

If you have a #333 or Part 107 then the rules are different. If you are certified you know what to do.

Now lets stop the fighting here. Discussion is welcome, arguing is not. Consider this the official warning Thank you.

Brian
I agree that there are many newbies. Many of my friends purchased the Mavic as well without any background in flying. They all do not know that there is more to flying than just treating it like a toy. This is when they make mistakes and spoil the hobby for us.

However it is also not 100% their fault. The drone market has made it seem like getting a drone is simple and easy and you can fly them anywhere. People who are new wont think about it crashing or flying near airport. All they want is to capture nice photos of themselves from the air.

In my opinion, each country's drone group should strongly advocate educating newbies on flying, and also on the consequences of irresponsible flying.

That way we all fly safe and can continue with our hobby.

Reactions: Slim.slamma
What's fun is my whole town shows as a "call before you fly" zone because a local farmer had a grass strip on his land. (WA17, you can fly from it in Microsoft FSX!)

But he sold the house a couple of years ago and the new owners haven't maintained the field. There hasn't been a plane in or out of the field in years, and if a plane did try to land there it'd probably flip over due to lack of maintenance on the field -- you can see what rough shape it's in on Google Maps.

Yet it's still listed as an active airfield in all of the drone apps and on charts...

Reactions: Slim.slamma
But he sold the house a couple of years ago and the new owners haven't maintained the field. There hasn't been a plane in or out of the field in years, and if a plane did try to land there it'd probably flip over due to lack of maintenance on the field -- you can see what rough shape it's in on Google Maps.

The rule is if you are a hobby flyer you may notify the tower of your flight plans.

Public Law 112-95, Section 336 requires model aircraft operators to notify the airport operator and air traffic control tower (if one is located at the airport) prior to operating within 5 miles of an airport.

SOURCE:Fly for Fun

If you have a #333 or Part 107 then the rules are different. If you are certified you know what to do.

Now lets stop the fighting here. Discussion is welcome, arguing is not. Consider this the official warning Thank you.
I'm new to this sport as well. What exactly is the "official warning" in regard to?

I'm new to this sport as well. What exactly is the "official warning" in regard to?
There were post deleted you don't see and that refers to those involved Michael .

So is people like Casey Neistat and everyone else that flies in the city contacting all those little heli pads in B4UFLY or just saying screw it and flying anyway?

Reactions: Drestin Black
Can someone please clarify if you still have to call airports with your 107?

So is people like Casey Neistat and everyone else that flies in the city contacting all those little heli pads in B4UFLY or just saying screw it and flying anyway?

I've got no hate for the guy, and I'm not a whistle blower, but I am SO surprised he hasn't been contacted (or worse) by the FAA yet.

I'm not sure Casey is aware that there are any rules about flying drones. Only half-kidding, given how flagrantly he violates both rules and common sense safety considerations.

As for Part 107, find info linked here.

Reactions: scott rand
Yeah, sorry this thread got hijacked -- did not intend for that to happen.

So, in summary, there are somewhat different rules depending on if you are a hobby flier or are working under Part 107 etc. Most of the video's being posted on YouTube about the Mavic Pro in the last few days have been from newbies that not only just got the Mavic but also there first drone and as such they are overwhelmingly hobby fliers and thus subject to the more stringent rules in regard to flight near airports.

And as I mentioned in one of the posts we have been a little worried that an influx of newbies would result in a new round of unaware pilots doing things that could get them and us into trouble. Thankfully, of the two people that I posted warnings about there flying one of them responded quickly indicating he was unaware and that he'd not do that again -- frankly, I feel great about having helped that guy take the first step towards being a more conscientious pilot.

Sadly, the conversation took a detour but hopefully we are back on track. And again, for those on here that are new to drones, there are rules about flying within 5 miles of airports and a useful tool to know where these are is the FAA app B4UFLY which is available on iOS and Android. It is far from a perfect app I should mention, in fact it is one of the worst apps I've ever had to deal with, but it is what we are supposed to use. The pro's in the group will refer to sectional charts etc but unless you have knowledge and experience in the use of such charts the better option for hobby fliers is the B4UFLY app, crappy though it is.

Brian

I'm not sure Casey is aware that there are any rules about flying drones. Only half-kidding, given how flagrantly he violates both rules and common sense safety considerations.

As for Part 107, find info linked here.
And he should be fined for not having a part 107 as well as other rules he's breaking. Since his main form of income are his videos, by rule, he needs to pass his Part 107 to be able to make money using his drone(s).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121