DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Two questions regarding Mavic protection and landing pad

Kyle76

Reactions
I am looking at a Mavic Mini Fly More combo from Adorama that also includes a landing pad. If I don’t buy from Mavic directly, can I still purchase their protection plan? Also, is a landing pad helpful? Does the drone remember the pad itself or only the location from which it took off?

Reactions: lowellton and Slade
Does the drone remember the pad itself or only the location from which it took off?
The drone records the location of its home point using it's GPS receiver.
That's where it will return to on automated Return to Home (RTH) whether there is a landing pad or not..

Reactions: Kyle76
I am looking at a Mavic Mini Fly More combo from Adorama that also includes a landing pad. If I don’t buy from Mavic directly, can I still purchase their protection plan? Also, is a landing pad helpful? Does the drone remember the pad itself or only the location from which it took off?
If they’re an authorized re-seller you should be able to get the protection plan through them. I bought my MA2 Fly More combo from drdrone.ca , and I also bought the DJI care protection from them. They emailed me an activation code when they shipped it to me and I had 48 hours from aircraft activation to redeem the code. I activated the care agreement without any problems, and got an emailed agreement from DJI.

As for the landing pad, I didn’t get one and am fine without it. I would think it could be useful in certain landing conditions though, like sand or dirt.

Reactions: Jabace and Kyle76
I got my Mavic Mini the other day for my birthday via Amazon. When you run the app the first time it will ask if you want to buy the protection plan. You have 48 hours to do so. Cost is $39.00. Hope that helps Kyle.

Reactions: Torcan and Kyle76
I fly out in the country a lot, and with the cameras so low to the ground I worry about dirt, dust, etc getting onto and possible damaging the camera lens. My landing pad solution? A new flattenend cardboard box from Lowes: $.88 Small, light, portable, effective.

I also used reflective tape and stickers to add a unique landing pad effect [emoji846]
lol Maybe I did ok or it’s a mess?

The landing pad works well for me as I fly off grass, dirt and snow.

I also get bonus points from the grand kids when I can magically pack it into the small case ?

For me, since the mini doesn’t use an optical image of the RTH point for landing, I like to see how well I can hit the center of the pad when landing without too many jogs.

Hey, I’m old with OCD ?

As above, the Mini only uses GPS for landing location, it does not use the camera for a precision landing like more expensive DJI drones do.
I use the Flymore case to take off and land on. Does mean I can't rely on RTH to land on it automatically (as that's only accurate to about a metre from the takeoff point), but once it's near enough I cancel RTH and land manually.

Reactions: ff22 and Kyle76
I think that the landing pad is an essential piece of kit for all drone pilots. I have several different types and sizes. At some point you will no doubt fly from an area of rough terrain, sand, long grass etc and this is where they come into their own. The Mavic Mini in particular is very low to the ground so the pad gives protection to the camera and gimbal. They all fold and store easily in the back of your vehicle out of the way. Another thing that I have noticed is that the landing pad alerts people on foot with dogs etc that there are drone activities near by and they tend to give you a wide berth which is good from a safety point of view.

Thanks for the replies. I decided to go ahead and order the package that includes the landing pad as I'm sure I'll be flying at the beach and other sandy areas (my region here in NC is known as the Sandhills).

Reactions: ff22
Always use a Landing Pad, unless you’re taking off from concrete or hand launching. The propellers on the Mini are fragile and a lone twig or tall grass can cause damage. I use a large pad that coils up and weighs nothing. Happy flying?????

Thanks for the replies. I decided to go ahead and order the package that includes the landing pad as I'm sure I'll be flying at the beach and other sandy areas (my region here in NC is known as the Sandhills).

If you are flying from sandy areas, you might want to still research how to hand launch/land. Sand can still make its way into your drone even if you use a landing pad. Hand launching and landing the drone is a better way to protect it from those hazards.

Don't forget you can always use the flymore case as a takeoff pad- bit small for precision landing but you can hand catch with a bit of practice (open palm, keep fingers away from props!!!)

Reactions: hiflyer201
If you are flying from sandy areas, you might want to still research how to hand launch/land. Sand can still make its way into your drone even if you use a landing pad. Hand launching and landing the drone is a better way to protect it from those hazards.
When I get some experience, I’ll give this a try

Always use a Landing Pad, unless you’re taking off from concrete or hand launching. The propellers on the Mini are fragile and a lone twig or tall grass can cause damage. I use a large pad that coils up and weighs nothing. Happy flying?????
And don't take off from concrete as almost all concrete uses metal rebar and metal mesh which can seriously impact your drone's compass and possibly cause fly-aways.

I'm with the hand catch people all the way. Start the video before you launch and you'll never launch off of bare ground again..unless it's the middle of a paved street and one RTH is all it takes to let you know that's a real bad idea. Surprisingly it's not too hard to find a empty Pizza box almost anywhere but whatever...find something..anything.. anything except a piece of concrete that has re-bar in it :(

Reactions: dawgpilot
I got the Adorama package a few months ago. It included the Flymore, a Lowe backpack, landpad, sd card and maybe some other things. I THOUGHT that they did offer the Care Refresh insurance as an add-on cost. But I believe you can purchase it from DJI with like 48 hours (check that) of purchase?????

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60