DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

U.S. Secret Service Visit

orionshooter

Reactions
My 16-year-old was the PIC this morning at Rehobeth Beach, Delaware. He had the Mini2 up about 10 minutes and was about 3/4 of a mile out to sea when a uniformed agent accompanied by local PD arrived at our launch site. Both were extremely cordial.

They asked if we knew about the temporary flight restrictions and when we told him we did not, they advised POTUS was in town and his summer beach house was less than a mile north of us on the beach.

I was amazed (and reassured) that they would be able to detect the aircraft but even more amazed at how quickly they were able to determine and respond to the launch site as well.

I hope all law-enforcement encounters go this smoothly. Lesson learned: Check the B4UFLY app before launch.

Interesting story with a good outcome. Yes, it is best to check for flight restrictions b4 launch. All things considered, it went well...

Cheers!

My 16-year-old was the PIC this morning at Rehobeth Beach, Delaware. He had the Mini2 up about 10 minutes and was about 3/4 of a mile out to sea when a uniformed agent accompanied by local PD arrived at our launch site. Both were extremely cordial.

They asked if we knew about the temporary flight restrictions and when we told him we did not, they advised POTUS was in town and his summer beach house was less than a mile north of us on the beach.

I was amazed (and reassured) that they would be able to detect the aircraft but even more amazed at how quickly they were able to determine and respond to the launch site as well.

I hope all law-enforcement encounters go this smoothly. Lesson learned: Check the B4UFLY app before launch.

You got lucky to say the least. Very well done all except not checking the AIRSPACE!!

See the screen shot below to see just HOW into the TFR you was flying . . . rehoathTFR.png

Here's a link that might be helpful going forward for you and your son:

THANK YOU for sharing your story and congrats on a good outcome. It's good to hear Drone Stories ending on a positive note :)

Good story about the experience with SS and remembering to check B4UFLY. Further comments and opinions withheld.

They must have had aeroscope set up in operation, probably 24/7 while that TFR was / is in place.
That DJI system allows for drone detection, drone location (live) and operator location to show up on their screen map.
Great they read the situation in the ground correctly (no real threat), and just requested your son to land and not fly again during the period (I guess).

They must have had aeroscope set up in operation, probably 24/7 while that TFR was / is in place.
That DJI system allows for drone detection, drone location (live) and operator location to show up on their screen map.
Great they read the situation in the ground correctly (no real threat), and just requested your son to land and not fly again during the period (I guess).
That is precisely the way it ended Mavic South. They assessed the situation pretty quickly and accurately. When my son told them I was retired LE - they both just chuckled.

I would have thought the DJI app would have given some warning or even not allowed take off. But like I said earlier - lesson learned.

Good story about the experience with SS and remembering to check B4UFLY. Further comments and opinions withheld.
Much appreciated vin - especially since I had it coming!

Reactions: BigAl07
You got lucky to say the least. Very well done all except not checking the AIRSPACE!!

See the screen shot below to see just HOW into the TFR you was flying . . . View attachment 150426

Here's a link that might be helpful going forward for you and your son:

THANK YOU for sharing your story and congrats on a good outcome. It's good to hear Drone Stories ending on a positive note :)
Well - I always did strive to hit the bullseye!

If I might make a suggestion to those who are not Part 107 holders...
Regardless of your goals as a drone pilot, may I suggest you study for the Part 107 even if you have no intention of taking the test and being Part 107 certified? You don't have to pay for a "course" if you don't care to. But download the FAA part 107 study guide. Take some of the free pre-tests which will show you what you already know and what you don't yet know.

Flying is lots of fun, but as the OP discovered this is not a game and a screw up of any type can be serious. And who knows... Once you get going with the study you might just decide to take the test and become a Part 107 pilot for the extra privileges (i.e. flying higher than 400' AGL near tall structures).

Last edited:
Being an Aussie and so having my total knowledge of the Secret Service and Presidential detail supplied by Hollywood I have to say I’m impressed with the laid back and real world manner with which they dealt with it all.

Great story with a good outcome and useful lessons learned

I'm impacted by that NFZ and believe it expires at 9 tonight.
That’s the info I’m getting from B4UFLY as well - skies clear at 2100 EDT.

Epilogue to the story is that we all got to see Marine One fly right over our vacation beach house at about 19:30 hours this evening. This was a very cool vacation indeed.

If I might make a suggestion to those who are not Part 107 holders...
Regardless of your goals as a drone pilot, may I suggest you study for the Part 107 even if you have no intention of taking the test and being Part 107 certified? You don't have to pay for a "course" if you don't care to. But download the FAA part 107 study guide. Take some of the free pre-tests which will show you what you already know and what you don't yet know.

Flying is lots of fun, but as the OP discovered this is not a game and a screw up of any type can be serious. And who knows... Once you get going with the study you might just decide to take the test and become a Part 107 pilot for the extra privileges (i.e. flying higher than 400' AGL near tall structures).
This is an excellent idea.

Reactions: bcfd29
Being an Aussie and so having my total knowledge of the Secret Service and Presidential detail supplied by Hollywood I have to say I’m impressed with the laid back and real world manner with which they dealt with it all.

Great story with a good outcome and useful lessons learned
To give you an idea of the tenor and tone of the visit, the very first thing the agent did as he got out of the patrol vehicle was to introduce himself and offer his hand to shake. In the old days, this was something we were told NEVER to do for tactical reasons.

Needless to say, my 16 year old was awed and impressed.

You live and you learn and you have an exciting story to tell.

I was down there 2 weeks ago and the TFRs are a pretty common thing in Rehoboth and even up near Wilmington. The Wilmington TFRs even effect Philadelphia airspace due to their proximity to each other.

if you can do it the Sunrises in Rehoboth and nearby Dewey Beach are spectacular.

Reactions: twickers14
I have a sunrise
You live and you learn and you have an exciting story to tell.

I was down there 2 weeks ago and the TFRs are a pretty common thing in Rehoboth and even up near Wilmington. The Wilmington TFRs even effect Philadelphia airspace due to their proximity to each other.

if you can do it the Sunrises in Rehoboth and nearby Dewey Beach are spectacular.
Like minds for sure - I have an early morning sortie planned to do just that.

I don't believe that you had a DJI drone at the time of launch because, you would have been grounded as I was that weekend.
My abode is not far from that beach.
You lucked out that time

I don't believe that you had a DJI drone at the time of launch because, you would have been grounded as I was that weekend.
My abode is not far from that beach.
You lucked out that time

Umm in post #7 the OP clearly states:

I would have thought the DJI app would have given some warning or even not allowed take off. But like I said earlier - lesson learned.

Reactions: @Rip and Okie

Go figure, when he is at his Rehoboth beach house, the no-fly radius is minuscule at 10 miles. When he is at his Greenville residence, it is a hard no-fly zone with a 20-mile radius...

His unannounced vacations/trips have cost me jobs!!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters