DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UAS/Drone materials for high school students

Maviac

Reactions
Friends,

I've been asked by an old classmate to give a talk on drones to the 11th grade class (180 or so kids) at my old high school while I'm down there early next year. Can anyone point me to any online materials about the operation of drones, regs, or whatever might be helpful? I do lectures 10-20x every year to lawyers on various legal issues and usually have some stock material, but I'm starting from scratch here.

Reactions: Mrmund
Go over FAA regs such as 400', not near airports, yield to planes/helicopters. Common sense stuff.

If it's something we debate, such as night flying, answer is no.

How about starting with basic Recreation regs like CBO standards
Resources like FAA website/dronezone
Registration.
Also how about how UAS work:
Compass calibrations
IMU
Barometer
GPS
RTH

How they interact, why it's important and how problems with those systems can cause crashes/fly aways

Reactions: DougMcC
Go over FAA regs such as 400', not near airports, yield to planes/helicopters. Common sense stuff.

Agree. Might also be good to be sure they understand that FAA considers drones over 250gm as aircraft and issue “tail numbers” to pro pilots and in an abbreviated fashion to hobbyists.
SAR activities would be a good topic too.

Yeah, I'm planning to cover that. I'm also going to cover licensing, etc. This is a discussion for mostly vocational track kids. Whom, if they play their cards right, will make a lot more money than I do as a lawyer.

Thanks folks. This is helpful. If anyone has any diagrams or info sheets those would be helpful too. My flight demo with be with my Mavic Air but a friend is letting me borrow his Inspire to show the class.

If you don’t mind me asking, how long is your presentation? Is it for a career day or a class like physics?

I'm more than glad to help any way I can. I have lots of presentations but they are geared towards Law Enforcement, Emergency Services, and Public Safety operations.

Let me know if I can help.

Friends,

I've been asked by an old classmate to give a talk on drones to the 11th grade class (180 or so kids) at my old high school while I'm down there early next year. Can anyone point me to any online materials about the operation of drones, regs, or whatever might be helpful? I do lectures 10-20x every year to lawyers on various legal issues and usually have some stock material, but I'm starting from scratch here.

Nice of you to do this, educating potential new drone generation correctly is important.

I'd offer insights into :

Drone types and flying - Photography / video, FPV, platforms customable for all sorts of commercial use.
Hobbyist cinematic and just the fun of it, FPV stunt and racing, use in law enforcement, SAR, agriculture, quantity surveying, mapping surveying, building / equipment inspections, photography with the incredible perspective from above.
Perhaps mention military use briefly, saying it is a whole different use of drones, but don't dwell on it, it's unlikely to ever affect their lives (hopefully).

Then lead it naturally into conducting all this safely, various FAA rules for commercial and hobbyist, reasons the rules are there, technology that can counter people not piloting drones to the rules and with common sense, etc.
Commercial liscene process, different systems like lannc, other ?
Mention many countries with advanced airspace legislation have similar rules for drones, but can vary slightly, and maybe give a few examples of vastly different places, so they can see how relatively free it is to fly within US airspace . . .

Good luck.

The big thing is that you may be presenting to kids who may or may not have by interest. If you go to far into the rules and regs, your not going to win the crowd. I’d be starting with telling them what it is you do with drones and what applications drones can be used for. Look at some of the great things being done world wide.
Talk about some of the miss use of drones and discuss the Implications of inappropriate use.
Highlight the basic rules about altitude and NFZs .
Discuss the evolution over the last 10 years of the multirotors, and look at what’s on the horizon.
I always like to tell the kids how the early hobbyists where able to finally develop a stable multirotors by using the components for the Nintendo Wii controller (electronic gyros).

Not sure how long you have, but that would be a reasonable talk to a broad range of kids of various levels of interest.
Happy to help out with any resources if you want more.

Since it sounds like you have a bit of time to prepare, you might consider reaching out to DJI. Here is a link to their 'Contact Us' page: DJI – Contact Us

I would attempt contact with their Marketing Department and maybe Media Inquiries as well. Let them know what you are doing, and see if they would be willing to send you some swag. I would guess they have all sorts of presentation materials as well.

I can just see the entire Junior class now strutting around with their school ID's attached to cool, DJI lanyards...

Reactions: BigAl07
Since it sounds like you have a bit of time to prepare, you might consider reaching out to DJI. Here is a link to their 'Contact Us' page: DJI – Contact Us

I would attempt contact with their Marketing Department and maybe Media Inquiries as well. Let them know what you are doing, and see if they would be willing to send you some swag. I would guess they have all sorts of presentation materials as well.

I can just see the entire Junior class now strutting around with their school ID's attached to cool, DJI lanyards...
Good idea. Thanks!

drone graph.jpg

toptal-blog-image-1507026292447-86ed5aeb5671cca3f6f7e06534e2db8c.png

brands.png

poll.png

Last edited:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members