DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UAS pilots do get caught and fined

theDRONEranger

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Yes, UAS pilots do get caught and fined. Just when we thought no one ever gets caught. The FAA does follow up on many reported incidents. Not all, but many . . .

Interesting link: 70 FAA Enforcement Actions Against Drone Pilots Revealed [2012-2020]

I believe we have all seen some pretty far out claims to illegal fame on the forum. The best thing we all could do is abide by the rules and encourage safe and responsible operations always. Acting in an irresponsible or illegal manner only hurts the overall industry via more rules. Do NOT condemn another, but rather give guidance, be polite, respectful, and courteous. If in doubt as to the legality of an action, research so you know! Ask others here, on the forum, for the source documentation. There are many here who shine in that respect.

Did I miss something? I do that more often these days.
Where in that mass of info does it show fines collected from private pilots. I did see something that reads”proposed”.

Where in that mass of info does it show fines collected from private pilots. I did see something that reads”proposed”.
I wondered about the same thing. I do recall reading about the Skypan and Philadelphia Guy incidents. The fines were pretty stiff to send out a warning. I'm still not sure the masses understand how regulated drone flying has become. There are a plethora of ads on Amazon targeting kids and adults with nothing said about the regulations governing drone flights.

There was a forest fire here a few years ago. No Fly Zone established for the aircraft dealing with the flames. Someone was playing with their drone and shut the whole operation down. The someone was actually caught and the FAA got involved. They did not issue a fine at all even though the person was caught in the act.
That may be why there isn’t that kind of fine information in the article.
They just let the someone’s get away with it.

My understanding is that proposed fine often is settled for less. Akin to a criminal pleading to a lesser offense in court.

An attorney in Florida by the name Jonathan Repprecht just put out a very comprehensive news letter about this very subject. He also has put out many other news letters that are very informative. He is an attorney that works a lot with drone pilots and also represents them if the need arises. I don't have a specific link to the news letter, but if you Google his name it's and go to his website it's very easy to find. I highly recommend that anyone that wants to keep well informed about the law regarding flying a UAS in the US sign up for his newsletter. It's free and is full of really good relevant information.

Yes, UAS pilots do get caught and fined. Just when we thought no one ever gets caught. The FAA does follow up on many reported incidents. Not all, but many . . .

Interesting link: 70 FAA Enforcement Actions Against Drone Pilots Revealed [2012-2020]

I believe we have all seen some pretty far out claims to illegal fame on the forum. The best thing we all could do is abide by the rules and encourage safe and responsible operations always. Acting in an irresponsible or illegal manner only hurts the overall industry via more rules. Do NOT condemn another, but rather give guidance, be polite, respectful, and courteous. If in doubt as to the legality of an action, research so you know! Ask others here, on the forum, for the source documentation. There are many here who shine in that respect.
100% agree on the giving guidance; yet that seems to not go very far. We do see many more pilots posting video's and even stating they themselves have gone on very extended flights (well beyond VLOS) knowingly flaunting the rules - because they think they can.

The moderators / admins have a tough job just dealing with everything else on the forum - yet to keep allowing such posts to remain and perpetuate that attitude is not good for the community. Maybe the admins / moderators are acting behind the scenes that we do not see and hopefully so. If that is not happening - then Houston - WE have a problem.

It gets old beating the dead horse of VLOS. We're called the VLOS police and worse by some here when we're just trying to help. Yes, we all sometimes get snarky from a bad hair day (if you have any - not me) and that can play a role.

VLOS and some other rules are 100% CRAP - I'll say it. Yet, as part of the drone nation; we sign up for those rules here in the US and overseas pilots for their respective countries. Many of the over the top rules like VLOS were created because of incidents that caused such action. We see that in every day life with driving a car, etc. Openly thumbing your nose at the rules is an issue this forum and pilots need to address. As such, we drone pilots need to figure out a better way of letting NEW and old drone pilots of the rules, TRUST Test in the US and the tests in overseas countries that ARE REQUIRED, and being very aware / cognizant that OUR actions can do hurt the whole community. Some will never learn or follow the rules, that is life - not restricted to drones.

We are seeing A LOT of NEW and many younger pilots in the forum and flying drones because they are COOL & FUN. If they don't know the rules or that there are so many to follow - how do we educate them if they never make it to this or other forums. I can honestly say that if I was a teenager and got a drone and the packaging / marketing said it could fly 5 miles away - guess what - that drone would be in the air heading 5 miles away. Same holds true for adults as well - that is very evident here and on YouTube.

Maybe it starts with the drone manufacturers like DJI, Autel, Yuneec, Hubscan, etc. - by NOT stating the drone can fly 5-7 miles straight out and other "buy me" marketing ploys. Even putting some of the basic drone rules that apply across the board may be a start - yet how many actually even read the owners manual - few, again as you see here on the forum.

Just throwing all this out there for your valuable comments / ideas so the WE AS A COMMUNITY work to reach almost all drone pilots to make the AWARE. Once aware, then it is up to them to comply or face the music if and when caught, lose their drone in a crash, etc.

Simple solution for the real drone community fliers:-
When a drone (any drone that can fly higher & or further than 100m) is purchased the store must register it with the licensed remote drone pilot who will be flying it (similar to registering a car). This will stop 95% of the rogue drone operators who carelessly & recklessly flaunt the drone flying rules. Hence, much less flying restrictions going forward & maybe even some loosening of current restrictions.

Reactions: KI5RLL
100% agree on the giving guidance; yet that seems to not go very far. We do see many more pilots posting video's and even stating they themselves have gone on very extended flights (well beyond VLOS) knowingly flaunting the rules - because they think they can.

The moderators / admins have a tough job just dealing with everything else on the forum - yet to keep allowing such posts to remain and perpetuate that attitude is not good for the community. Maybe the admins / moderators are acting behind the scenes that we do not see and hopefully so. If that is not happening - then Houston - WE have a problem.

It gets old beating the dead horse of VLOS. We're called the VLOS police and worse by some here when we're just trying to help. Yes, we all sometimes get snarky from a bad hair day (if you have any - not me) and that can play a role.

VLOS and some other rules are 100% CRAP - I'll say it. Yet, as part of the drone nation; we sign up for those rules here in the US and overseas pilots for their respective countries. Many of the over the top rules like VLOS were created because of incidents that caused such action. We see that in every day life with driving a car, etc. Openly thumbing your nose at the rules is an issue this forum and pilots need to address. As such, we drone pilots need to figure out a better way of letting NEW and old drone pilots of the rules, TRUST Test in the US and the tests in overseas countries that ARE REQUIRED, and being very aware / cognizant that OUR actions can do hurt the whole community. Some will never learn or follow the rules, that is life - not restricted to drones.

We are seeing A LOT of NEW and many younger pilots in the forum and flying drones because they are COOL & FUN. If they don't know the rules or that there are so many to follow - how do we educate them if they never make it to this or other forums. I can honestly say that if I was a teenager and got a drone and the packaging / marketing said it could fly 5 miles away - guess what - that drone would be in the air heading 5 miles away. Same holds true for adults as well - that is very evident here and on YouTube.

Maybe it starts with the drone manufacturers like DJI, Autel, Yuneec, Hubscan, etc. - by NOT stating the drone can fly 5-7 miles straight out and other "buy me" marketing ploys. Even putting some of the basic drone rules that apply across the board may be a start - yet how many actually even read the owners manual - few, again as you see here on the forum.

Just throwing all this out there for your valuable comments / ideas so the WE AS A COMMUNITY work to reach almost all drone pilots to make the AWARE. Once aware, then it is up to them to comply or face the music if and when caught, lose their drone in a crash, etc.
Solution(at least they won’t be able to say they didn’t know the rules.) for the USA: You must enter your TRUST completion code into this device before you can launch within the USA. Your device will not arm without this code.

Mike

Solution(at least they won’t be able to say they didn’t know the rules.) for the USA: You must enter your TRUST completion code into this device before you can launch within the USA. Your device will not arm without this code.

Mike
Won't work. The codes are not stored in any database, (not even at the site you tested at), so there is no way to confirm that your code is/was valid.

Won't work. The codes are not stored in any database, (not even at the site you tested at), so there is no way to confirm that your code is/was valid.
They would obviously have to have that setup. It is not that it won’t work; it is that it needs other things done as well in order for it to work. Purchasing a firearm used to be simple and now it is a hassle because they made new laws. That is an extreme example of what they can do to enforce the rules if they want to.

Mike

2nd paragraph (quoted below) literally says that fines are given in ’most cases’. It doesn’t say how much, but I’ve seen from $1500 to $100,000. One of the more famous cases was This one fined $100,000.

‘Civil Penalties. In many cases, FAA prosecutors choose to impose a civil penalty (fine) as opposed to taking certificate action. This occurs frequently in remote pilot enforcement cases (see enforcement data below). FAA Order 2150.3C Change 6 outlines the framework for FAA prosecutors to determine the specific dollar amount per FAR violation to issue.’

Mike
I didn't have to do that for my Mav3 or my AutelEvoLite+. They both booted up and linked fine, except the DJI needed me to login to my email accnt.

all sounds good, but the market is never going to advise that their drones cannot be legally flown higher than 140 metres, or so far away that it is not clearly visible. How many do you think they will sell, if they do that? the big selling point is the distance that they can fly, and transmit viewable video back ....

Wow, that is really scary and informative at the same time. All that money for minutes of fun, that is really astounding. I just passed my test today and reading this reinforces my character for a good drone pilot. Thanks for a well put together advisory, wow!!

Wow, that is really scary and informative at the same time. All that money for minutes of fun, that is really astounding. I just passed my test today and reading this reinforces my character for a good drone pilot. Thanks for a well put together advisory, wow!!
NOTICE that the statutes cited are 107. The enforcement actions appear to be against 107 certified pilots, NOT RECREATIONAL.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S