DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UAV FORECAST - SATS LOCKED?

It is saying there are 12 sats in view of your device of which it has locked to 10 of those 12 sats. There are many GPS/GLONASS satellites all around the earth, you only see the ones in your location of the world.

It is saying there are 12 sats in view of your device of which it has locked to 10 of those 12 sats. There are many GPS/GLONASS satellites all around the earth, you only see the ones in your location of the world.
Ah ok I completely understand now. That makes sense. Thanks for the reply, much appreciated

When it's red, my DJI app in camera view says use with caution unable to hover? What does this mean? I'm a new user trying to find some answers because I'm scared to fly it with it saying that :/

When it's red, my DJI app in camera view says use with caution unable to hover? What does this mean? I'm a new user trying to find some answers because I'm scared to fly it with it saying that :/

I find the drone itself is usually better at locking satellites than UAV Forecast app.

If the drone is having trouble getting enough sats locked, pick it up and hold it in the air. Or step out from under the dense trees.

I think you will find that the number of Sats visible and Sats locked are completely theoretical in the UAV forecast app. I do not believe that it even tries to find Sats with your device. Besides, it is virtually impossible to lock on to 10.2 Sats.

Reactions: Tentoes
The app message you are asking about is poorly worded.
It's advising that if the drone is not getting good GPS location data from satellites, the drone will still hover, but without horizontal position holding.
Currently, this is confusing users because the recent app version is giving a false warning that the drone is not getting GPS data even though it is.

Reactions: Xedius
Inside my house when I fire up the app, it immediately shows a given number of locked satellites. My phone doesnt even have a built in gps. I'm sure its knows your location, time of day, satellite rotation and spits a number out from that data.

Inside my house when I fire up the app, it immediately shows a given number of locked satellites. My phone doesnt even have a built in gps. I'm sure its knows your location, time of day, satellite rotation and spits a number out from that data.
The UAV app isn't seeing any sats.
It's attempting to predict the number of GPS sats you could expect in your location at that time.
It's explained in their FAQ: UAV Forecast
But the information it gives is of no use as wherever you are on earth you will always have more GPS sats in your sky than you'll need.

The other useless data field in the UAV forecast app is Kp Index.
Their explanation is misleading.
No drones have ever been affected noticeably by flying in high Kp Index conditions.
It can safely be ignored in your flight planning.

Reactions: Xedius and Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS