DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UAVForecast.com... a GREAT flying conditions site!!

LakeTravis

Reactions
Not sure why it hasn't occurred to me to mention this. A good friend of mine who does MUCH commercial stuff for Travel Channel, National Geo, Etc, swears by it.

I've been using the site UAVForecast.com for over a year. It gives GREAT info and conditions for the next several hours. I really like the cloud cover estimates, wind velocity/directions, number of satellites (including GLONASS). As you can see, you can set just about every parameter min and those that don't meet the min are highlighted in red. Best of all it is FREE, but I'm going to subscribe just to add my support, it's only $22 a year anyway.

Screen Shot 2016-12-14 at 3.56.57 PM.png

Last edited:
With battery life what it is on these things, why would anyone care about these things?
Considering predicted wind velocities at lower altitudes that I would ever fly at drone is senseless.
Way too many local variables to care about winds aloft, or forecasts above 500'.
When you get into cloud cover, visibility and wind estimates at extremely low altitudes in a limited time frame, you are guessing.
If the weather is good, fly the thing. If it isn't, don't. This isn't that hard, and requires almost no supporting info.

Reactions: Leigh
With battery life what it is on these things, why would anyone care about these things?
Considering predicted wind velocities at lower altitudes that I would ever fly at drone is senseless.
Way too many local variables to care about winds aloft, or forecasts above 500'.
When you get into cloud cover, visibility and wind estimates at extremely low altitudes in a limited time frame, you are guessing.

Not even sure what your point is and I don't recall saying anything about what's happening above 500', I don't go over 400' because I'm within 5 miles of an airport but have blanket permission to fly within the area. If I just want to fly to mess around and accumulate hours (which I do), I too don't care much about the weather. In fact, I've flown in 25+ mph winds just to see what it was like. However, I fly mostly to take videos and pictures, and I like "just right" conditions for that. If conditions are crappy (like they are right now), it's nice to know what they are forecast to be later in the day, or even tomorrow. For me, it has nothing to do with batteries, which I now have four of, it's a matter of finding the right flying conditions for photography purposes. No need to flame me because you don't agree or feel you need the level of information.

Reactions: Jengle
My point is that it is impossible to predict any weather under 500'.
Cloud cover, visibility and winds at ground levels are dependent on very localized terrain.
No weather service provides that, or is capable of it.
Regardless, good luck.

I've read your initial post more carefully, and it looks like a commercial.
Again, good luck, but "forecasts" in the drone airspace realm are ridiculous.

Last edited:
Considering I've been a general aviation pilot for over 45 years with thousands of hours as PIC, and relied on aviation weather terminal area forecasts as well as automated METAR reporting information from the airport I fly out of (the one less than five miles away), I couldn't disagree more--in fact, my life, and that of my passengers depends on it. But we can agree to disagree.

Cat11.jpg

Reactions: AAPhoto
I support you Lake! I have been using that app for 2 years now and it has been extremely accurate at most locations that I fly at. And the app is free with a 2 day forecast. I have recommended it to all of my clients and they love it.
Just remember to adjust the settings for your location and altitude. :D

Guys I just did a little cleaning in this thread .Post if you have something to add or move on . Think before you post. Thanks :)
Think.jpg

Very cool website! Thank you for sharing!

What's the visibility over Hippie Hollow, Lake?

LMAO... We do our best to stay at least a little ways AWAY from the park. I recall, rather fondly, that back in the 70's and 80's you could see just what you would expect... naked hippies--mostly younger and many quite attractive (oh what youngsters miss out on today) and though I wasn't a regular, friends of mine and I would go there on occasion and tan au naturale and meet lots of friendly herbified young women. Unfortunately, well... that was a LONG time ago and, equally unfortunately, most of those who hang out there now look like they were around back in the day and now they're much, much older, (as am I) and some are terrible wrinkled and many are overweight to downright obese--thankfully, I take better care of myself and DON'T look like they do. It's also now a haven for the LGBTQ crowd (NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT), but just not my speed. We do like to stop the boat about 100 yards from the swim area and float (using fun noodles) during hot days. One of my friends thinks he's funny when he gets a pink noodle, floats on his back and makes a rather phallic gesture with the noodle between his legs. It was funny the first few times!! :DThumbswayup

If you, or others, wish to learn more about Hippie Hollow Clothing Optional Nudist Park Lake Travis Austin Texas, you'll have to sign up for full access... warning though, can't unsee some things that might wish you could!

You're right, a long time ago, when Austin and surrounding territory was truly weird and you could hear the MoPac late at night. Lots of good still today! Happy Holidays!
You can still hear the MoPac late at night, it's just that it no longer sounds like a train!! Holiday greetings back at you, and everyone else. :rolleyes:
mopac-traffic.jpg

Many memories ago when Austin was truly weird. Still good droning along the river and dam. Happy Holidays!

KP index which is a global index of geomagnetic interference--I won't even fly if it is above 6, but you can read up on the index via the Web and decide for yourself
Travis thanks for reminding us all about the potential disastrous consequences, interference along the entire spectrum of electromagnetic communications, HIGH KP index #'s is proven to cause.
In fact some people, even on this list, have attributed some "fly-aways" to Solar Flares producing significant C.M.E.'s. Ask any Ham Radio enthusiast and you'll get immediate corroboration of the correlation.

Last edited:
Reactions: LakeTravis
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa