DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK Drone insurance

Johnnyaibo

Reactions
My home insurance covers the Mavic for 2000GBP and 2Million Public liability so I found out today, so all good

Do take care about this exclusion though:

'electrical or mechanical breakdown'

You are covered for an accident, say you flew into a tree for example.

You are not covered if you suffer a motor failure and the aircraft falls to the ground...

So in the unfortunate situation where you are contemplating a claim, do be very careful how you phrase it :)

Also be aware of this general exclusion:

"motorised vehicles, aircraft, boats, boards and craft designed
to be used on or in water, caravans and trailers, and the parts,
spares and accessories of any of these"

There is a definition for 'motorised vehicles' which does allow r/c models to be covered, but there is no similar definition for 'aircraft' so at face value nothing that is capable of flight is actually covered...

Ponder if anyone has purchased UAV insurance seperatly to there home insurance.....

Barclays Premier also cover you for accidental damage or loss of your drone and liability

Also be aware of this general exclusion:

"motorised vehicles, aircraft, boats, boards and craft designed
to be used on or in water, caravans and trailers, and the parts,
spares and accessories of any of these"

There is a definition for 'motorised vehicles' which does allow r/c models to be covered, but there is no similar definition for 'aircraft' so at face value nothing that is capable of flight is actually covered...

I claimed off my 'Personal Possessions' element on my home insurance that covers your possessions anywhere in the world from all risks. When I lost my mavic over Dover, I couldn't even produce the old Mavic but it was treated as a "Lost High Definition Video Camera Quadcopter". They treated it like a camera and paid up.

Most Personal Possessions insurance policies should cover it, unless they have a specific clause excluding model aircraft, but even then you might be able to argue the toss with them that it's not a model aircraft at all (what is it a model of?). It's a quad copter video camera. As mentioned above though, if the clause excludes 'anything capable of flight', that's more specific and would probably exlude it....

Cheers

Ian

YouTube / Ian in London

Reactions: Mike357 and mavic53
Someone on another thread stated that Barclays does not cover drones when they called to specifically ask.

Claims on home insurance will of course lead to increased premiums in the future

--

For Drone insurance, the only company that I found that will cover UK residents for the UK and worldwide for Theft / Loss / Acc Damage is BackMeUp.co.uk

For Liability Insurance, either FPVUK.org or the BMFA seems to be the common choice.

There is one other company I am looking at for when I am due to renew in August, they are called Photoguard

--

If anyone is looking to go with BackMeUp.co.uk it is £7.99 / month - Cancel/Renewal anytime (e.g. cancel in the winter months if you wish)
You can get £5 off if you use the referral code: POWERS074 when taking out a policy with them.

Someone on another thread stated that Barclays does not cover drones when they called to specifically ask.

Claims on home insurance will of course lead to increased premiums in the future

--

This is true! My premium went up by around £100 at renewal..... But, that's the same as 12 x £8 monthly payments on the backmeup policy. .... Let's hope I don't make another claim :)

Ian

YouTube / Ian in London

It specifies Civil Liability Insurance of £25mm- how is this different from Public Liability insurance?

The British Model Flying Association > Insurance > Insurance FAQ's

I can't find any information which breaks down the difference - Civil Liability seems to be a term that covers different types of insurance such as proffessional / business / public liability. From reading the BMFA site in full it is apparent that their liability cover will cover you if your drone / plane / heli / glider etc etc goes out of control and causes damage to property or injury to a person. You don't have to be flying from a club airfield but obviously you would have needed to take reasonable care following guidelines (the rules) as with any type of insurance for it to remain valid.

--

For Drone insurance, the only company that I found that will cover UK residents for the UK and worldwide for Theft / Loss / Acc Damage is BackMeUp.co.uk

For Liability Insurance, either FPVUK.org or the BMFA seems to be the common choice.

There is one other company I am looking at for when I am due to renew in August, they are called Photoguard

--

If anyone is looking to go with BackMeUp.co.uk it is £7.99 / month - Cancel/Renewal anytime (e.g. cancel in the winter months if you wish)
You can get £5 off if you use the referral code: POWERS074 when taking out a policy with them.

Good call - I was just about to do the DJI refresh thing.as my home insurance wont cover drones .. but it is a hassle doing their video and it costs more than this deal for the year.

Signed up with your referral code - so that is £5 for you!

If anyone wants to hit me up for a £5 off my referral code is...

WHEELER076

Reactions: RaRaRasputin
My Home Insurance cover my Mavic too. However, the condition is that it's covered as long as I'm not using it at the time!! So in other words, It's covered for theft and accidently breaking it when I'm not flying.

I got another insurer to cover it properly. Can't remember the company but it was covered under a Photography equipment policy. Only exclusion was that it needs to be recovered for them to honour the claim. So I have a gps tracker fitted too.

I got another insurer to cover it properly. Can't remember the company but it was covered under a Photography equipment policy. Only exclusion was that it needs to be recovered for them to honour the claim. So I have a gps tracker fitted too.

Sounds like Photoguard if it's in the UK.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas