DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK Drone users look likely to take drone test

that's because some idiot shut down an airport awhile back. It is only a matter of time before it will happen in the US.

You can bet the 'idiots' won't be taking any tests.

I will. You too, probably. But, as you say, the idiots will ignore this. And the worrying thing is, it’s not just kids. There are very experienced drone users who STILL publish videos over cities / towns / people and motorways, who state that ‘laws are meant to be broken’. So, eventually, we shall all have to fly at designated sites, no exemptions. Goodbye to amazing photographs and enjoyment. Because of the few, not the many.

I will. You too, probably. But, as you say, the idiots will ignore this. And the worrying thing is, it’s not just kids. There are very experienced drone users who STILL publish videos over cities / towns / people and motorways, who state that ‘laws are meant to be broken’. So, eventually, we shall all have to fly at designated sites, no exemptions. Goodbye to amazing photographs and enjoyment. Because of the few, not the many.

_20171126_100153.JPG _20171126_100208.JPG Screenshot_20171126-095941.png

There are THOUSANDS of drones out there. Even many that aren't idiots won't bother.
It's almost totally unenforceable. The police have a shortage of resources for tackling far more important things.

There are THOUSANDS of drones out there. Even many that aren't idiots won't bother.
It's almost totally unenforceable. The police have a shortage of resources for tackling far more important things.
UK dealers will probably need to see evidence of your certication.
It will be remarkably easy to circumvent.
If you were wanting to fly drugs into prison or drop nerve gas on central London you will be completely stuck.

There are UK laws and tests for driving cars. These don't stop people driving without a license, insurance, MOTs etc.
It's futile.

The US brings in a test (or was it just DJI ?), so the UK follows.

Listed is one incident, well documented in the news and on forums, here on Mavic Pilots included . . . the rest ?
99 this year (so far), 62 last year, and 29 in 2015, roughly looking at perhaps double each year ?
How much has drone ownership increased ?

Yes, that is still a concern, but how many of these drone near misses are real or imagined ?
There have been plenty of arguments either way about just how much a pilot can actually see and identify a drone flying under flight conditions, speed of plane, size of drone, background camouflage of drone to ground, cockpit activity (rarely look out windows !), it brings to mind this posted pic put up here by another member recently . . .

drone_id.jpg

I honestly think geofencing like DJI does here in Australia would stop most of the issues near airports, can't even start motors near the main controlled airspaces here ( I just had to test how efficient the system was).
Also the apps with NFZs etc are brilliant, I always check before even planning a flight or heading to a site.

Reactions: Myha and MacIak
Personally I don’t mind sitting any test, but how can this be policed and monitored, if little Jimmy gets a Mavic Pro for his 13th birthday.
We have all seen the videos on YouTube of irresponsible flying, and it was only inevitable this would happen in the UK.
I think certain drones should only be sold to people at least 18 years of age.

Reactions: OzoneVibe
Never mind the almost impossible task of policing such a rule, how and where do they expect the thousands of people who already have a drone are going to go to get 'tested'?
Typical Government knee jerk reaction not being thought through properly.

Reactions: Myha and Ping^Spike
Never mind the almost impossible task of policing such a rule, how and where do they expect the thousands of people who already have a drone are going to go to get 'tested'?
Typical Government knee jerk reaction not being thought through properly.

Probably have to sit an online test and print out a certificate :eek:

So they have absolutely no idea who took the test..... sounds stupid enough for them to take that option. Hope it doesn't turn into a money making scheme.

Reactions: Myha and Youser
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123