DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK Insurance

Bibs

Reactions
I've just checked with my home insurance and the Mavic isn't covered (The AA). Any recommendations for insurance in the UK please?

I'll be using the Mavic for pleasure, but will be getting my CAA approval and moving to business use in the near future.

I've just checked with my home insurance and the Mavic isn't covered (The AA). Any recommendations for insurance in the UK please?

I'll be using the Mavic for pleasure, but will be getting my CAA approval and moving to business use in the near future.
I have just bought my loss/damage insurance from Photography & Digital Camera, Camcorder & Drone Insurance | Photoguard
There is also an option to purchase Public Liability Insurance for up to £1 million but I have already purchased this from FPV.org which covers up to £5 million for approx £15 for the year.

Reactions: Loz
Same as above, I've gone with Photoguard (as I have my camera gear insured with them as well)

Doubt any home insurance policy would cover business use. I know mine doesn't for camera gear, let alone a drone.

Public liability cover (which is mandatory) for PFAW/PfCO holders is completely different to hobby insurance.
The two will nor transfer accross I'm afraid and once you get your PfCO you will need to take out liability cover for commercial use.
You will then have a choice of Liability only or Liability and Hull (aircraft) cover. You will also be able to insure your accessories and ancillary equipment as well but obviously at a premium.

I guess they would if it was a mechanical failure and you opted for that cover!

This is perfect. Been looking for something like this for ages. Not bothering with the DJI refresh now either!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Do they cover run-aways and operator error?
They do not cover drones/UAV's full stop unless it is their Pro Flexicover which is meant for professional use. But then they exclude any commercial activity cover for UAV's?!
Also, unless you have arranged bespoke cover with them, they specially exclude any kind of third party liability in connection with Unmanned Aerial Vehicles.
Taken from their policy wording for Public Liability.
What is NOT covered....
Quote:
7. Any liability for bodily injury, loss or damage:
a) To Your employees or members of Your family or household or to their property
b) Arising out of or in connection with Your trade, profession or business, or assumed under contract other than that of
photographer or an assistant in the production of photography or filming
c) Arising out of the ownership, possession, use or occupation of land or buildings
d) Arising out of the ownership, possession or use of motorised vehicles, yachts or motorised waterborne craft, airborne craft of
any description, animals or firearms and weapons, drones or Unmanned Aerial Vehicles.

Last edited:
They do not cover drones/UAV's full stop unless it is their Pro Flexicover which is meant for professional use. But then they exclude any commercial activity cover for UAV's?!
I only took this policy out yesterday, and was advised that my drone was covered to £1000. I have the documents, and it appears I'm covered up to £2000. am I missing something?
photoguard by David Black, on Flickr

I only took this policy out yesterday, and was advised that my drone was covered to £1000. I have the documents, and it appears I'm covered up to £2000. am I missing something?
Yes, you have accidental damage to your drone (subject to maximum of £2,000) but you have no public liability cover.
So if it crashes and you injure someone or damage something you are not insured.

Reactions: Wissel
Yes, you have accidental damage to your drone (subject to maximum of £2,000) but you have no public liability cover.
So if it crashes and you injure someone or damage something you are not insured.
Yep, was just about to reply (you edited your original post whilst I was checking my policy).
We were at crossed purposes and you're right, no public liability (so I'll join a club for this).

When I read your original reply, I thought you meant drones are not covered at all (and panicked lol). It was the accidental damage I wanted as (just I personal opinion) I'm not putting my trust in DJI and Mavic is new, unproven tech.

Yep, was just about to reply (you edited your original post whilst I was checking my policy).
We were at crossed purposes and you're right, no public liability (so I'll join a club for this).

When I read your original reply, I thought you meant drones are not covered at all (and panicked lol). It was the accidental damage I wanted as (just I personal opinion) I'm not putting my trust in DJI and Mavic is new, unproven tech.
Ahhh...understood.
Yeah, I jumped the gun as I only looked at their base policy first and it is only the FlexiMcThingy Policy that gives cover for UAV's (but then obviously not for Public Liability or commercial use). So this would mean you would not get paid out for damage to your drone if you were using it for a job etc.
It appears to be hobby only cover for UAV's.

Reactions: Wissel
On the subject of Public Liability insurance, it seems the two main providers in the UK are either FPV UK or the BMFA.

Which would people recommend?

Reactions: Jerry

Hi,

Do you mind me asking approximately how much the premium is for this cover..

I'm with FPV UK for PL..

Reactions: mikeroycollins
Hi,

Do you mind me asking approximately how much the premium is for this cover..

I'm with FPV UK for PL..

Not at all.

My policy also covers my cameras (£10k) and everything is also covered when left in a locked vehicle. I pay £23 per month.

Thanks.

Btw, I read your policy differently.. Those clauses are all exclusions so they may mean that you will not be covered at all if it is accidentally damaged if the total value of the UAV and attached equipment exceeds £2,000. I don't think that there's anything in there that should make you think it is insured for £2,000, the policy schedule will define values covered. Might be worth a phone call!

Yes, I also read it as saying that you're exlcuded from claims related to a drone.

I'm not bothered about insurance for theft, I just want cover for damage/loss and public liability insurance. UK based too. Any ideas?

Also, unless you have arranged bespoke cover with them, they specially exclude any kind of third party liability in connection with Unmanned Aerial Vehicles.
Taken from their policy wording for Public Liability.
What is NOT covered....
Quote:
7. Any liability for bodily injury, loss or damage:
a) To Your employees or members of Your family or household or to their property
b) Arising out of or in connection with Your trade, profession or business, or assumed under contract other than that of
photographer or an assistant in the production of photography or filming
c) Arising out of the ownership, possession, use or occupation of land or buildings
d) Arising out of the ownership, possession or use of motorised vehicles, yachts or motorised waterborne craft, airborne craft of
any description, animals or firearms and weapons, drones or Unmanned Aerial Vehicles.
I contacted them by phone prior to purchasing the Insurance and they confirmed that hobbyist drone operators ARE covered.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian