DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK Mavic going to Mexico

Wayleebird

Reactions
Hello

Off to Mexico 1st week in August flying with Thompson. I think I read somewhere that you have to pay 10% of the drones value to take it in?
Staying at the Moon palace any suggestions where to fly?

Thanks

Wonder how they came up with that. Sounds like a rule made up by a corrupt customs officer [emoji61]

Reactions: Clinton1
I flew in Mexico with no issues whatever. Just take all your Mavic gear in your carry on, not checked. I taped my battery terminals. Be smart. Most people are cool and don't care.

DO NOT fly near ruins or pyramids, tempting as that may be, unless you have express permission.

I just got back from playa del carmen. No issues at customs, flew from my hotel pool/beach nobody cared, used a hidden takeoff point at the ruins at tulum where there are 'no drones' signs. No issues leaving. I carried the mavic on the plane as a personal item and as you know, it looks like a camera bag. I wouldn't volunteer any info about the mavic at the airports or anywhere else - it just invites a negative outcome. I would advise that when in doubt, hide your takeoff position. I would imagine most of the people that run into issues with authorities may be taking off in plain site in front of a crowd. I have heard about the fee you mentioned, but in other Central American Countries (Nicaragua), not Mexico.

I just got back from playa del carmen. No issues at customs, flew from my hotel pool/beach nobody cared, used a hidden takeoff point at the ruins at tulum where there are 'no drones' signs. No issues leaving. I carried the mavic on the plane as a personal item and as you know, it looks like a camera bag. I wouldn't volunteer any info about the mavic at the airports or anywhere else - it just invites a negative outcome. I would advise that when in doubt, hide your takeoff position. I would imagine most of the people that run into issues with authorities may be taking off in plain site in front of a crowd. I have heard about the fee you mentioned, but in other Central American Countries (Nicaragua), not Mexico.

Thanks good video, that has put my mind at rest a bit, what airline did you fly with?

Thanks good video, that has put my mind at rest a bit, what airline did you fly with?
United. Also visited the hard rock for a day and flew from their beach, also nobody cared. There was a fairly steady breeze the whole week and honestly, I don't think anyone even heard/saw it at tulum. Had high wind warnings on virtually every flight and mavic defeated it all easily- this thing is a beast. Enjoy -

Reactions: Wayleebird
It's ok as long as ipyou don't get caught or run into corrupt officials. It's illegal for a foreign operator to fly camera UAV in Mexico without permission. The penalty if I remember correctly is $20000. I had a phantom at the time I was traveling to Mexico but opted to leave it at home after reading some horror stories.

I flew in Mexico with no issues whatever. Just take all your Mavic gear in your carry on, not checked. I taped my battery terminals. Be smart. Most people are cool and don't care.

DO NOT fly near ruins or pyramids, tempting as that may be, unless you have express permission.
I'm off to Mexico soon and was worried about taking my Mavic , where there any problems ? I don't like the idea of sneaking things though airport security

IIt's illegal for a foreign operator to fly camera UAV in Mexico without permission.

Sort-of. Anyone (citizen, resident, tourist) is supposed to register their drone with SCT.

The penalty if I remember correctly is $20000.

I would doubt twenty thousand pesos, and certainly not twenty thousand US dollars. I don't actually find any information about fines. Where are you getting your information?

I paid nothing. Scanned checked luggage at customs. Shot over 20 gb worth of media. Was there last weekend.

I'm off to Mexico soon and was worried about taking my Mavic , where there any problems ? I don't like the idea of sneaking things though airport security

Don't sneak anything through. I travel to Mexico with my Mavic and have had no problems.

Consumer electronics are very expensive in Mexico. They don't want people bringing in fancy stuff for resale. Right now it's unclear when a Mavic counts as a "camera" for customs allowances, but you get a personal property allowance like you do anywhere else.

You're supposed to register your drone, but that involves several steps that I doubt most Mexican operators have done.

This might help: uavsystemsinternational.com/drone-laws-by-country/mexico-drone-laws/

Also don't be a d!!k like some and fly over people and cars... Police here will shoot your *** and criminals too when they see your expensive tech.

Good luck [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Reactions: stratos and Cancun
How is everyone flying at the Tulum Ruins? Considering you are about 500m from an actual DJI NFZ, and definitely inside the NFZ of an airport. Worst off, it's a military airport (Naval Air Base)! Great shots, but lucky to come back with your drone and not spending time in a Mexican prison.

How is everyone flying at the Tulum Ruins? Considering you are about 500m from an actual DJI NFZ, and definitely inside the NFZ of an airport. Worst off, it's a military airport (Naval Air Base)! Great shots, but lucky to come back with your drone and not spending time in a Mexican prison.
Technically its illegal to flow over any ruins in Mexico. Having said that, it is possible if you are willing to risk it. I got about 30mins of fly-time over the ruins at Tulum about a month ago. I went super early in the morning, before sunrise and walked along the beach to the ruins (instead of entering via the front gates). I found a hidden spot on the side of the ruins area to fly from. I got about 30mins of flight before being **** down by security. I had to pay the guard USD50 as a bribe...but it was worth it. You can see my footage here - ruins starts at circa 1.38

Technically its illegal to flow over any ruins in Mexico. Having said that, it is possible if you are willing to risk it. . . . walked along the beach to the ruins (instead of entering via the front gates). I found a hidden spot on the side of the ruins area to fly from. I got about 30mins of flight before being **** down by security. I had to pay the guard USD50 as a bribe...but it was worth it.

That's nice footage Mike, you had a great holiday !!
Pity about the fog over the ruins, but understandable considering very early morning, still very nice vision . . .

On the other hand, I see this sort of thing and foresee why countries might eventually ban drones being taken in, at least without very strict licencing, red tape, flights plans, fees payable, etc.
Flying in a country's NFZ (airport / naval air base no less), or cultural sites where banned, is probably something no footage is worth, at least to the hobbyist drone community as a whole.

I see you only joined yesterday, not sure how long you've had the drone, how much you've read about legalities of flying, and flying responsibly, etc.
Places all over are being shut down by local authorities to drone hobbyists as it is without giving them real ammunition.

How'd you get 30 mins flying battery change ?
Probably how security found you.

Technically its illegal to flow over any ruins in Mexico. Having said that, it is possible if you are willing to risk it. (followed by details of how you knowingly circumvented the law)

"Technically, it's illegal to shoot pandas in the face and feast on their succulent flesh. Having said that it is possible if you are willing to risk it."

Do you see any problem at all with saying that you know something is illegal then saying one can get away with it?

As MAvic_South_Oz points out, doing what you did (and, I'll note, having been caught) just increases the likelihood that I'll face problems as a foreign resident flyingn in Mexico.

Stunts like this could mean that the next time I fly near my house, which is near culturally-sensitive sites and right on the edge of a major airport and military base NFZ, I may come under increased scrutiny. It could mean that bringing my Mavic in through Cancún where none of the customs officers recognize me may become more difficult. It could mean that Mexico might simply declare it illegal for a non-citizen to fly in Mexico. There's nothing to stop a government from subjecting violators to confiscation of their aircraft or to criminal penalties.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada