DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK parliament Inquiry on Drone use closes 12th April 2019-Respond now.

Link to UK Parliament page for those that don't want to hunt for it.

Note that this isn't a questionnaire - you'll need to write your submission freeform and submit it in MS Word format. If you're planning on doing this I'd recommend thinking about what you want to say first, do an outline, flesh it out, then do a few edits across multiple days (sleeping on stuff is good!). Ideally get someone to proofread it for you as well.

Reactions: Point Zero
Link to UK Parliament page for those that don't want to hunt for it.

Note that this isn't a questionnaire - you'll need to write your submission freeform and submit it in MS Word format. If you're planning on doing this I'd recommend thinking about what you want to say first, do an outline, flesh it out, then do a few edits across multiple days (sleeping on stuff is good!). Ideally get someone to proofread it for you as well.
That's very good advice. Thank you

Following up on the above, this is what the committee is actually seeking comments on:
  • The ethical implications of civilian drones on citizen privacy and safety in the UK;
  • The effectiveness of built-in drone safety features, such as tracking and monitoring capabilities, in mitigating the risks of civilian drones;
  • The effectiveness of anti-drone technology in mitigating the risks of civilian drones;
  • The economic opportunities arising from the growth of drone technology;
  • The success, or otherwise, of regulatory frameworks for civilian drones and what should be covered in the forthcoming ‘Drones Bill’;
  • The plans for registration of civilian drones in the UK;
  • The current state of drone safety education and research in the UK; and
  • International comparators with exemplary drone-interference prevention policies.
Seems to be a pretty broad remit, so we've got a good chance to air all our views on things like responsible piloting, the upcoming registration/competency test, clarifications over overflying private land viz. landowner's rights vs. CAA control of airspace, deployment of anti-drone tech and potential for collateral damage if deployed without clear communication to potential drone pilots in the area, the expense of a PfCO for those that might just want to monetize a few images from hobby flights on YouTube, the vast array of potential commercial opportunies, etc.

I'm also thinking a good chance to raise all the various concerns we discuss here, starting with the "it's always a drone, but there's never any actual evidence made public" and the bad PR of our hobby/business that results; yes, I'm sure there are some legit drone incidents, but it seems there are a lot more unsubstantiated/unproven incidents. Related to that, a few posters here have reported being verbally abused by members of the public for flying drones since Gatwick, so more public awareness of what drones can/can't do might be useful, especially re. privacy. I recall there being some confusion amongst police forces over whether or not they could force a photographer to delete images from stills cameras (they can't), so I'd expect similar enforcement confusion here unless adequate communication with the police is provided.

They're also after some example legislation from other countries they can draw from, so posting any examples of other national legislation that is fair and balanced here for people to use as points of reference in their responses in the hope of keeping things as liberal as possible might be a good idea. I don't expect any changes to the new airport NFZs or altitude/proximity requirements, but we might be able to get something similar to the various "Photographer's Rights" guides out there that specifically covers drone usage.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54