DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK PfCO course advice

Rob-UK

Reactions
Hi.

I have been saving to do a PfCO course to enable me to get a CAA license for commercial drone flying.
With the changes coming in November around online safety tests and changes in classifications I am wondering if I should wait and see what materialises, or plough on with the course and hope that any changes in November make an allowance or recognition for those that have the existing PfCO and license?

Obviously dont want to waste £££ unnecessarily but equally dont want to wait for no reason, when the changes might create an influx of people wanting to take the/a course. Keen to start earning from my MV2 Pro. Thanks for any advice. Rob

Hi Rob,

I’m in exactly the same position. I got made redundant at the end of June and planned to take time out for travel but also wanted to do a PFCO course during my time out. Given the forthcoming changes I, like you don’t know which way to jump.
Hopefully someone will have some good advice as is usual on this forum. Martin

Reactions: Rob-UK
Ok my two hapennyworth. From June 2020 it look like the distinction between commercial and non commercial operators in the UK will be erased, rendering your professional qualification of dubious vale. There is next to no enforcement because of the forthcoming November rules and this 2020 change. I evidence this be wise around me there are perfectly decent estate agents and roof boys operating and advertising without any reference to qualifications. Wedding photographers on the other hand seem to be qualified? But marine drone photographers are generally not. Where does that leave us - I think my suggestion would be to be careful where you spend your hard earned money. This is not to encourage you either to break the law, nor to unnecessarily advertise your prescence to the authorities by ringing them up and asking naive questions. I am a non commercial hobbyist - just an observer

Reactions: Rob-UK
Thanks Gents for your input.
Being that I hope to do commercial work, quite often in built up areas or around large numbers of people, and that I want to get going asap I have decided to bite the bullet and go for it. I'm going to cross my fingers that there will be some kind of recognition of those who have the PFCO from the CAA. Time will tell I guess!

Good luck Rob,
I'm still om the fence but may well end up doing the same, June next year is a long time to wait in the hope this gets clarified.
I agree that there will almost certainly be a requirement for some form of PFCO type training to be allowed to fly in more populated areas, lets hope that the legislation becomes more risk based than the current commercial / recreational view, it would then enhance the benefits of holding a PFCO if you would be allowed to work within closer proximity to people and property based in the enhanced training recieved.

I've lifted this from the Drone Pilots of Scotland Facebook group. They are not my words but those of a company that have just been granted NQE status for teaching and assessing PfCOs:

This is a long post but trust me it needs to be to try and clarify the complicated rules that will apply with the introduction of CAP1789

I’d just like to try and clarify what the effects of the new regs. published in CAP 1789 are likely to be. With particular attention to commercial operations and the current PfCO.

Firstly, it’s a long and complicated document and some of the detail has still to be agreed with the CAA so there are still some unanswered questions. We are due another update in November this year but for now this is what we know -

If you wish to operate a drone commercially between now and the 1st of July 2020 you will need a PfCO, no other options are available, if you don’t have one you will be acting illegally and subject to prosecution.

Your PfCO will still be valid for 1 year from the date of issue and the CAA have stated that you will be “Grandfathered In”. This means you will be granted a new “Operational Authorisation” within the new Specific category which will be identical to the current permission, (PfCO) but with the commercial aspect removed as it’s no longer necessary. In simple terms, you carry on as you would now with a PfCO.

OK, but if I don’t do my PfCO now, can I operate commercially from the 1st of July next year?

Yes you can, but in reality you’re going to struggle.

At some time in the future the drone manufacturers will start making drones that comply with the requirements needed to fly in the Open Category, broken down into five classes. This is detailed in CAP 1789. They will need “CE” approval and markings relevant to their class. For example, in order to achieve approval to operate in Class C1 the manufacturers have to ensure they are made and perform in a way that if they collide with a human head, the energy transmitted will be less than 80 joules, they have a maximum speed of 19m/s (42.5mph) and are designed and constructed so as to minimise injury to people. The standards also cover other aspects such as noise limits, height limits and requirements for remote identification and geo awareness systems.

That’s for some time in the future as these drones don’t exist yet, but what about the drone I own now?

You will only be able to use an existing, (“legacy”), drone with a maximum take off weight of less than 500g, (e.g. a DJI Spark), and the pilot will need to be tested for competency. The level of competency hasn’t yet been decided by the CAA so we can’t say what kind of training or assessment you’ll need.

You will be able to fly commercially an existing, (“legacy”), drone with a maximum take off weight of less than 2Kg, (e.g. a DJI Mavic or Phantom) but only down to a minimum horizontal distance of 50m from people. The new rules for flying “close to people” (30m, or 5m in “low speed mode”), will apply to future drones that are compliant with the specific product standard only. Before you fly you’ll need to complete your Certificate of Competency with an NQE. The exact nature of this training is still to be decided. Even if you want to fly a drone of this weight and not use it commercially you’ll still need to the Certificate of Competency unless you only fly it “far from people”.

The new regulations class “far from people” as “areas that are clear of uninvolved persons and not in areas that are used for residential, commercial, industrial or recreational purposes”. So this includes recreational parks, golf courses, towns, cities, villages etc., etc.

For something like a current DJI Inspire 1 or 2 or similar, (mass of more than 2kg and less than 25kg), you will be restricted to flying only far from people unless you’ve completed your new equivalent to a PfCO which allows you to fly in the Specific Category.

That’s sounds very complicated !! Yes it is, and that’s the very simplified version !!

Let’s try and break that down by type of drone into some easy to understand guidance.

If I have a current Mavic or Phantom and want to fly at all, that’s commercially or not, somewhere there’s likely to be people or closer than 150 metres to buildings etc., can I?

Yes, but you’ll need to do your Certificate of Competency first with an NQE or you could do your PfCO now which will be converted to an Operational Authorisation next year when you apply to renew.

If I have a current Inspire and want to fly as above, then what are my options? The current Inspire cannot be flown at all in a congested area from the 1st of July 2020 without an Operational Authorisation. If you do your PfCO now it will be converted into an Operational Authorisation when the time comes. If you do nothing you can’t fly this drone in a congested area full stop.

Don’t forget that regardless of the requirement for a PfCO or new Operational Authorisation you will still be required by law to have insurance for any commercial flight, (EC785/2004). The big insurers will demand that you prove your level of competency, a PfCO currently does this. They haven’t said yet what they’ll accept but you’ll need to do something that’s recognised or you won’t get insurance. No insurance, no commercial flight, it’s the law!!

Regarding Flight Restriction Zones, Danger, Prohibited and Restricted areas and TRAs that will be up to the CAA, not EASA and so far there is no indication that they’ll change the current rules so it’s still permission required before you fly inside, no exceptions.

There’s a lot more detail in the legislation and further clarification is expected later this year but for now that’s as uncomplicated as I can make it!!

And let’s not forget BREXIT!! We’re assuming that the new regs. will come in as forecast but no guarantees!

Hi Dale,

Thanks for the post, there's some great information in there.

I suppose my main quandary is that I don't have a specific business plan for a PFCO. Instead my interest in taking the course is for the enhanced level of training, skills, permission, and potential access to fight areas that would otherwise be off limits to a recreational pilot, but not specifically for business purposes, although the ability to sell my product without repercussions would also be a welcome advantage.

If I understand your post correctly, holding a PFCO / Operational Authorisation will potentially become more beneficial after the new regulations as the emphasis becomes more risk based than the current reason for flight model.
This makes me even more interested in pursuing the qualification now rather than later, however :-

Would a PFCO holder still have all their enhanced permissions if a flight was for recreational purposes? and if so would they still require commercial insurance for said recreational flights? How would it be proven either way?

Thoughts anyone?
Thanks in advance

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji