DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK power stations

Karl2951

Reactions
Anyone have any knowledge of flying close to coal/gas powered power stations?
I can't find any specific rules and they don't appear on any no fly zones.
If you class the perimeter fence as the outermost structure, is staying beyond 50 metres of that Ok and within the rules???

I'd say you'll be fine mate, just use some common sense.

At worst, you may pick up some interference.

I fly over power cables and pylons all the time at the farm, no issues to report :)

I'd say you'll be fine mate, just use some common sense.

At worst, you may pick up some interference.

I fly over power cables and pylons all the time at the farm, no issues to report :)

There is a big difference between flying over power lines and flying near a power plant!!! Not for the sake of interference, but for the sake of legality.
Here in Canada, those types of places are restricted airspace. I can't imagine that the UK is any different. However, I don't actually know the rules.

Yeah, he did say +50m beyond though :)

And hence my 'exercise common sense' bit too eh Thumbswayup

I have been looking all afternoon and can only find nuclear plants as being restricted zones, leaving me to think that coal plants fall under the normal 50 metres rule.

It's a tough one.
I did find this though on TechAdvisor website page about "where to fly drones in the UK and Abroad".
Under the section "UK no fly zones" it says:
"Of course, there are some areas you cannot fly at all, such as near airports, power stations and military bases".
You really better be certain (100%, have it writing that you are legally allowed to fly there) because the authorities don't take ignorance as a good excuse.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Captain_Rick