DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK registration and exams

These little drones don't seem very dangerous, and so far the record has shown this to be the case. I think they are over-reacting. I'm still waiting for the first terrorist use of one. Then you'll see hysteria.

It will be a ill conceived and hastily put together, by a bunch of suits, most of whom will probably not even know what a drone is even if one crashed into then whilst playing polo, let alone ever used one, it will be a complete shambles, serving only to cause inconvenience and cost genuine drone users, whilst doing nothing to stop the rogue drone pilots who will completely ignor it and carry on as normal

Reactions: 4wd
According to today's BBC News, drone owners will be required to complete a test at time of purchase. Does this mean it won't be retroactive, I wonder? I'm assuming now would be the best time to buy a drone before the legislation comes in.

It will be a ill conceived and hastily put together, by a bunch of suits, most of whom will probably not even know what a drone is even if one crashed into then whilst playing polo, let alone ever used one, it will be a complete shambles, serving only to cause inconvenience and cost genuine drone users, whilst doing nothing to stop the rogue drone pilots who will completely ignor it and carry on as normal

"There is no time frame or firm plans as to how the new rules will be enforced and the Department of Transport admitted that 'the nuts and bolts still have to be ironed out'."

Ironing out nuts and bolts? Sounds like typical government thinking.

Yeah, which means it'll take three years, be out of date before it's even launched and cost the tax payer £25 million quid.

Reactions: Londroner
I agree with the concept, but as stated by many the result will be an ill thought government brain fart. I personally feel the way forward is to tax drones, enforce liability insurance on users and electronic tagging. I have no issue with any of these and fly to the current governance already.

The alternative is likely to be yet more 'No Fly Zones' and potentially a total ban.

Reactions: gnirtS
I agree with the concept, but as stated by many the result will be an ill thought government brain fart. I personally feel the way forward is to tax drones, enforce liability insurance on users and electronic tagging. I have no issue with any of these and fly to the current governance already.

The alternative is likely to be yet more 'No Fly Zones' and potentially a total ban.

Agree with all that. In principle its a good idea and far better than the alternatives now that the idiots have spoiled it for everyone. But i have no faith it'll be implemented fairly or sanely by the government.

Reactions: UAVMan
Agree with all that. In principle its a good idea and far better than the alternatives now that the idiots have spoiled it for everyone. But i have no faith it'll be implemented fairly or sanely by the government.
Maybe then it's groups like this that need to make their opinions known to the relevant departments now, before it's too late. We need to show that there are responsible, law-abiding drone flyers out there that aren't idiots and don't want to shut down airports or scare children and animals.

Maybe then it's groups like this that need to make their opinions known to the relevant departments now, before it's too late. We need to show that there are responsible, law-abiding drone flyers out there that aren't idiots and don't want to shut down airports or scare children and animals.
I think this angle has been explored many times, the problem is 'WE' as responsible'ish pilots are not speaking out about the idiots. We need to report bad pilots to protect our interests.

Reactions: Dw911 and Londroner
Even looking on this board alone shows a percentage of users are dont care about the rules (look at all the "how do i bypass a NFZ/altitude", "i flew 7 miles" and other type posts). The facebook groups are even worse as a ratio.

And as a whole id venture most mavic users dont use forums or the facebook groups. They buy it in a shop, they fly it, they never even consider there ARE rules etc. At least with a mandatory exam system these people can be educated.

Even looking on this board alone shows a percentage of users are dont care about the rules (look at all the "how do i bypass a NFZ/altitude", "i flew 7 miles" and other type posts). The facebook groups are even worse as a ratio.

And as a whole id venture most mavic users dont use forums or the facebook groups. They buy it in a shop, they fly it, they never even consider there ARE rules etc. At least with a mandatory exam system these people can be educated.
So true. As soon as you discuss the guidance and rules bad pilots (criminals) are happy to call you 'drone police'. Yet if I fly my drone over their house spying through the curtains they'll soon get on to the local plod.

I've spent 5-8k on drones alone in the last 3 years so if I get upset someone is about to make my investment worthless by not sticking to some simple rules then suck it up.

I want to see prosecutions and bans handed out across the media, they can start with the many pilots on YouTube.

[emoji35]

So true. As soon as you discuss the guidance and rules bad pilots (criminals) are happy to call you 'drone police'. Yet if I fly my drone over their house spying through the curtains they'll soon get on to the local plod.

I've spent 5-8k on drones alone in the last 3 years so if I get upset someone is about to make my investment worthless by not sticking to some simple rules then suck it up.

I want to see prosecutions and bans handed out across the media, they can start with the many pilots on YouTube.

[emoji35]
What the hell!!

[emoji35]

Again agree with all of that. The only way i can see to stop more and more draconian restrictions that affect everyone is a severe clamp down on the rule breakers to make an example of them. At least this new legislation should put it on a sound legal footing that will allow for potentially criminal charging of people who refuse to comply. Currently its mainly a civil matter with little or no enforcement. If you can start throwing ANO charges at them it'll get costly, rapidly.

*IF* nothing is done i can just see more and more restrictions to the point the sensible people cant even operate anywhere usefully.

(I dont like the term pilot as theres nothing pilot related about operating a mavic or later phantom. You're an operator but in terms of aviation skills and knowledge, exactly zero are required. And that is part of the problem).

Reactions: UAVMan
Again agree with all of that. The only way i can see to stop more and more draconian restrictions that affect everyone is a severe clamp down on the rule breakers to make an example of them. At least this new legislation should put it on a sound legal footing that will allow for potentially criminal charging of people who refuse to comply. Currently its mainly a civil matter with little or no enforcement. If you can start throwing ANO charges at them it'll get costly, rapidly.

*IF* nothing is done i can just see more and more restrictions to the point the sensible people cant even operate anywhere usefully.

(I dont like the term pilot as theres nothing pilot related about operating a mavic or later phantom. You're an operator but in terms of aviation skills and knowledge, exactly zero are required. And that is part of the problem).
Lol yes the term pilot is a little misleading... Even operator is tenuous.

I don't think i have any issues with new regulations being implemented as long as they have a real purpose. I only fly as a "consumer" / hobbyist for the moment and i have made sure i am aware of the current rules and regulations, they aren't very hard to grasp.

I will have an issue with new regulations if the government try to create an involuntary fund raising event with the main purpose to line their pockets.

I suppose we will have to wait and see, this won't happen for years :D

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS