DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK regulations for visitors

Skerrabrae

Reactions
Depending on how lockdown processes evolve, I'm considering spending a few weeks over the summer in N. Wales. I'm a US citizen holding a Part 107 so I'm fairly familiar with the laws in the US but still new to UAS in general.

I'm aware the CAA requires a Flyer ID and Operator ID for drones over 250g. My question is, is this applicable only to UK citizens/residents?

The following local regulations seem to indicate that all drone operators, without conditions of residency, are responsible to pass a CAA test and register their drone.

I have no problem taking the test and registering/labeling as the laws require. Just need to determine whether this would even apply. If so, would I be able to register the same drone that I have registered under Part 107 here? If I recall, Part 107 registration requires the drone is not registered in another country so not sure how that works. Granted I do have a DJI Mini 2 which falls under 250g with nothing attached to it.

Searching if anyone else has experience in this scenario.

Good questions. I'm often wondering what the regs are for those of us who enjoy visiting other parts of the planet. On the short list are Mexico, France, Spain, Australia and Israel, though that list could be easily expanded.

Good questions. I'm often wondering what the regs are for those of us who enjoy visiting other parts of the planet. On the short list are Mexico, France, Spain, Australia and Israel, though that list could be easily expanded.
Start your research here... I do believe that in Mexico you must be a resident... any way, check this out:

Start your research here... I do believe that in Mexico you must be a resident... any way, check this out:
Actually, Mexico is one of those countries that if you're under the magic 250 gram limit and flying recreationally you're pretty much ok as long as you stay away from the specified places (and keep a couple thousand pesos on your person somewhere just in case). I've already researched Mexico. Similar to the US and other countries in some regards, but some of their laws limit almost everyone except Mexicans and the rules extend beyond residence, but require CITIZENSHIP! I used to live in Mexico (2012-2013), loved living there for the most part and can tell you it can be very quirky in many regards.

Reactions: Thomas B
Hiya, the rules apply to anyone flying a drone, including visitors. Registration/or qualification in your own country are irrelevant unfortunately - unless you live in the EU as we are adopting the EU rules whilst we transition out of Europe.

Lastly, I highly recommend not booking anything travel wise to the UK for 2021 (especially if you’re travelling from the US as we won’t allow US citizens into the country due to high infection rates over there). Lockdowns are likely to continue sporadically well up to September as the roll out of vaccines is likely to take that long. We should have been in Florida for a three week holiday, but travel out of the UK to the US is banned, so instead of sun and Star Wars we’re having sleet and misery as we’re about to go into full lockdown for at least another month.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Brian I
That information is about to be out of date. The law changes on December 31st.

3459279A-21E6-4F40-850B-72DED8128745.jpeg

Thank you for the The Drone Code chart. I was aware 2021 is bringing changes so that is a convenient summary of those changes.

If I fly in the UK, I realized I would need to be aware of and abide by any weight, operating area, and separation regulations. Thanks for clarifying I also need to abide by the registration requirements.

As you mentioned, this may be a moot point for 2021 anyway. I suspect I am being optimistic with these vaccine rollouts. Logistically this is a large challenge that will still be well underway come summer.

I suspect I am being optimistic with these vaccine rollouts. Logistically this is a large challenge that will still be well underway come summer.
Yeah, speaking to my doctor on Monday I‘m projected (as a healthy 47 year old) to have my vaccine between July and August ?‍♂️ That’s if all goes to plan, and I can’t say I have much faith in the government right now - and I work for them!

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
Depending on how lockdown processes evolve, I'm considering spending a few weeks over the summer in N. Wales. I'm a US citizen holding a Part 107 so I'm fairly familiar with the laws in the US but still new to UAS in general.

I'm aware the CAA requires a Flyer ID and Operator ID for drones over 250g. My question is, is this applicable only to UK citizens/residents?

The following local regulations seem to indicate that all drone operators, without conditions of residency, are responsible to pass a CAA test and register their drone.

I have no problem taking the test and registering/labeling as the laws require. Just need to determine whether this would even apply. If so, would I be able to register the same drone that I have registered under Part 107 here? If I recall, Part 107 registration requires the drone is not registered in another country so not sure how that works. Granted I do have a DJI Mini 2 which falls under 250g with nothing attached to it.

Visitors have the same requirements as the UK people regarding registration and test:

Takes a few minutes to do and label is nothing special, a sticky label is fine.

The UK is adopting the EASA drone rules from Jan 1st which are everywhere online. Just in case:
Will likely be updated Jan 1st but basically 400ft, line of sight etc. UK you are allowed to fly in controlled airspace.

You don't register a specific DRONE in the UK, you get a flyer ID and operator ID. The drone must be labelled but there's no record of what the drone is, serial etc so its not going to affect your FAA - just remove the label when you get home.

Snowdonia is a great place for drone flying - amazing scenery.
One safety tip though, its in part of the UK low fly range (Mach Loop) so you can on weekdays expect jets at 150ft and 500kts in the valleys. There is a MoD low fly phone number (or even RAF Valley for the local jets) where you can check if active.
Download offline maps if you need them - there's almost no useful phone signal in many places and be aware of winds.

One word of caution - the psychotic running Wales is treating the place like his own private thiefdom modelled on North Korea. There maybe random draconian restrictions brought in for no reason with no warning. Not a huge issue - if he does that hope across to England which is saner and spend your money there. Thats what most of us iN Wales are doing!

I can't see above if anyone has noted this but under the new regulations then you DJI Mini2 (and the original Mini) will need to be registered. This is because it has a camera. All drones regardless of weight with a camera must be registered. The rules apply to all drone flyers in the UK regardless of where they live. You can easily get the required registration via the DMARES website however. I think the registration is still £9.00 per annum. Specifically, what you will need for the Mini is an Operator ID. This gives you the registration number that is attached to the aircraft when flying it.

Last edited:
I can't see above if anyone has noted this but under the new regulations then you DJI Mini2 (and the original Mini) will need to be registered. This is because it has a camera. All drones regardless of weight with a camera must be registered. The rules apply to all drone flyers in the UK regardless of where they live. You can easily get the required registration via the DMARES website however. I think the registration is still £9.00 per annum. Specifically, what you will need for the Mini is an Operator ID. This gives you the registration number that is attached to the aircraft when flying it.
Yes. It’s mentioned several times, including the table of who needs to do what I posted.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S