DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK Rules are too complex... a total mess to fly

ianmeg

Reactions
As a hobbyist in the UK I find the new (current) rules are a mess. And worse still there is no one source that explains it clearly. They all skirt over certain topics or they contradict or confuse matters. Or they'll try to explain one set of rules and ignore the others. One source will say you can fly over people, another says you can't.

- Open v Specific
- Class of drones (c0, C1 etc)
- Categories of flying (A1, A2 A3)
- What exactly having the A2 CofC qualification actually allows you to do practically
- Hobbyist v Operating for money
- Needing permission from CAA v not needing it
- Flying over/close people v being unable to
- What distances are applicable for what things
- What's "congested" and what isn't and can you actually fly in them

It is a total minefield and totally off putting whenever not obeying them can get you in trouble with the law. Reading the official publications is too complex and complicated and the drone safe site and such are watered down and explain things in a watered down fashion.

Does anyone else get put off by how complex flying is?

@ianmeg ,no disrespect my friend ,but actually the rules are more straightforward than they were before ,the trouble with government speak, is you need a degree in gobbledygook to understand some of it ,i could write a 3 page assay, just trying to explain the minutia of what the rules actually mean ,sorry if you find it all to much ,maybe thats the idea to put people off flying a drone ,but of course that will not stop those who have no regard for the law ,and will just carry on anyway ,till they get caught ,and its thanks in no small way to those type of people ,that we now have the rules

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Pietros and BigAl07
@ianmeg I am pretty sure you can find a UK drone site that explains it in normal english. It is no better anywhere else actually @old man mavic hit the nail on the head government regulations are written in overly complex language that is hard to understand

Reactions: old man mavic
There is no doubt that the rules and regs can seem overwhelming no matter what Country.
The best thing to do is put Common Sense as Number 1 # on your list.

Than you just have to take each flight at a time, many times you will have to walk away , if you are set on flying in that area, you just start to seek approval methods, and if you cant get it ask on the Forum or use some dedicated apps.

it will get easier.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain

I agree there are ambiguities with the rules but one way of looking at it is that if someone has good intentions by studying them and obtaining the correct licenses and can still be confused then there isn’t much hope of a none enthusiast being any more knowledgable. In other words apply common sense. I’ve just watched an interesting video on You tube of a guy flying in the Lakes area. I was intrigued where his launch site was but kindly obliged by showing his skills in hand catching -with his car right next to him at the edge of a road! He, and You tube, totally oblivious of the ‘road rule’.

Reactions: ianmeg
Now imagine, you start flying in other countries, new rules and regulations every time. Unless you stay in Europe, due to the EU-Regulations, the framework is the same everywhere.
And as a tip from someone who works a lot with legal text: In the beginning of each law, there is defined what is what and who is who. So if you read "this does not aply to recreational use..:" you only have to check what is defined as recreational use. The more you get into it, the better you understand.
The big problem is, that a lot of people simply repeat what someone somewhere has been shouting. A good example there is, that some people think that you cannot take pictures on the street anymore, because you violate the dataprotection act. What they don't know, that does not apply for strictly personal use, so as an amateur on holliday, no problem at all.

I must admit that the regs CAN seem pretty confusing and I have passed my a2cofc. Genuinely, if you want the least amount of hassle and with no real worry about separation distances and C class ratings etc and also forgetting about the implementation on all of the regs at the end of next year......get a mini 2 (or 1). I even you it for commercial work and it is incredible without any of the worry!

While some rules do get put in place due to "those type of people", let us not forget that "rulemakers" make their living "making rules". It is what they do. If they run out of rules to make, they are no longer useful and thus could be deemed useless. ;)

I agree there are ambiguities with the rules but one way of looking at it is that if someone has good intentions by studying them and obtaining the correct licenses and can still be confused then there isn’t much hope of a none enthusiast being any more knowledgable. In other words apply common sense. I’ve just watched an interesting video on You tube of a guy flying in the Lakes area. I was intrigued where his launch site was but kindly obliged by showing his skills in hand catching -with his car right next to him at the edge of a road! He, and You tube, totally oblivious of the ‘road rule’.

I'm going to look even more stupid now then, by asking what the 'road rule' is.

If you find a quiet rural road and launch your drone from, say, the roof of your car, is this not ok? (Obviously provided there are no passers by or cars beside you)

EDIT - I have read the Drone Code (dronesafe.uk) and the Register Drone pages on the CAA's website and nowhere can I find mention or an explanation of distances from people/buildings when it comes to take-off and landing.

These pages will give you a good overview with graphics re: distances that you can fly once you're airborne, but not during take off or landing,

The sites also seem to only provide info re: flying in the A1 or A3 Open category but nothing about A2. It almost seems like they are being watered down for stupid people like me yet don't provide enough info to cover other key aspects of flying i.e. take off/landing.

Last edited:
The distances to people for take-off and landing are the same as to flying. Both actions are considered to be an integrated part of the flight.

Reactions: ianmeg
Don't worry... you're absolutely not stupid for asking this question as it is confusing ref these regs. All I can say and as per my previous post, if you get yourself a mini or better still a mini 2 you can pretty much fly anywhere (sensibly and without endangering anyone etc). It really boils down to separation distances and with these sub 250g drones that is pretty much non existent. An example is that I can take off and use my mini 2 from my garden flying over my farmers field. I CANNOT do that with my air2 because of my neighbours and people who may be walking within 50m of the drone and buildings etc and that's with an a2cofc. Also, If you ever need advice call drone safe or UAVHUB... they are both excellent for clear advice.

Reactions: old man mavic
Well, in order to legally fly a drone with a mass above 249 grams you need to have a license, and to get that license you need to take a course and pass a test, and after having done that I think that all these rules and regulations will become clear to you. If not you probably will not be able to get the license :-(

Basically the A2 qualification allows you to fly drones upto 4 kg in A1 circumstances but keeping at a "safe distance" from people, without A2 qualification drones over 900 gm must only be flown inthe A3 category i.e. drones upto 25 kg in open fields and away from people, buildings etc.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird