DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK Rules

Pedwards

Reactions
I'm a member of FPV and therefore have not registered with the CAA, as per their rules. I do seek clarification on the following;

'Members will not need to register as an operator with the CAA system'

The above quote is from the CAA website, but it only says about the operator. Do memebers of organisation not required to register still need the pilot registration?

If your UAV weighs in at more than 250 grams, then yes - you do need to sit & pass the 'Flyer Registration' test. FPV will register you as an Operator as part of their membership scheme, and charge you the £9 fee as an addition to your annual membership fees. That is, unless you have passed some competency test run by FPV, that is recognised by the CAA as an equivalent or better. The CAA explanation is here ... Drone and model aircraft registration | UK Civil Aviation Authority

You can do the Flyer reg' test on the CAA website ...

Reactions: Pedwards
I believe the CAA test and registration is currently good for the rest of Europe as well, pre-brexit. At least the CAA test is free, unlike Transport Canada.

I believe the CAA test and registration is currently good for the rest of Europe as well, pre-brexit. At least the CAA test is free, unlike Transport Canada.
Not quite correct in regard to the UK paul242 - There is a Europe-wide regulation coming into force in July 2020 and at that point, our current UK CAA registration scheme will dove-tail into that EU scheme. Also - it's not free ... Our 'Operator registration' fee is £9.00 p.a. to operate a drone, or multiple drones. The 'Flyer registration' that is required for you to fly the drones you operate, is obtained by passing a multi-choice on-line test, but that is free of charge.

Is it clear what visitors to the UK would need to do to fly a sub 2kg drone like a MP model while there ?
Still need to register / do the online test ?

If so, THIS is where the MM will come into it's own as a travel drone, just follow the rules and fly.

Edit, found one page . . .

Do The Drone Laws Apply If I Am Visiting The UK?
Yes they do. If you plan on visiting the UK with your drone then the UK drone rules will apply.

That doesn't directly address the registration issue, as it's under the general rules listed . . . if a drone is under 250g, obviously it is exempt, so would there be a need to register ? Take test ?
Obviously the test would show knowledge of UK drone rules.

Last edited:
That doesn't directly address the registration issue, as it's under the general rules listed . . . if a drone is under 250g, obviously it is exempt, so would there be a need to register ? Take test ?
Obviously the test would show knowledge of UK drone rules.
If the drone is under 250g (Mavic Mini for example), then the UK operator does not have to hold either an Operator registration number - or a Flyer registration number. As you correctly state, however, there is still the requirement to stick to the CAA regulations regarding where & how the UAV is flown. While you can take the 'Flyer' registration test f.o.c. on the CAA website, you can get just as much from studying the reference material here: The Drone and Model Aircraft Code | UK Civil Aviation Authority
and/or the Dronecode .pdf document that can be downloaded from here: Drone code - Dronesafe

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Is it clear what visitors to the UK would need to do to fly a sub 2kg drone like a MP model while there ?
Still need to register / do the online test?

My interpretation is that visitors to the UK need to take the test and pay the fee if they have a drone over 250g that they wish to operate while visiting the country. The registration site also seems to support this since it allows for registrant addresses located outside the UK. If travelling as a family group; pick one adult as the "operator" and all potential pilots will then need to take the competency test - a single £9/fee for as many drones as you care to bring.

The expectations of the law are that all drones flown in the UK are to have their Operator's ID number affixed via a label and that pilots are expected to be able produce their Flyer ID when requested to do so by suitably empowered officials. AFAICT, "officials" is basically the police since they have been tasked with enforcing this, although I would guess that would include other security services and transport police. I've not seen any indication that this formally extends to random members of the public, including council workers, park authorities, and the like, although producing your ID would be a pretty reasonable way to defuse any situations that might arise if you are flying legally.

Note that it's very much written and enforced as a license to *fly*. If you are just transiting through the UK and don't intend to operate your aircraft while here then there doesn't seem to be any need to register - e.g. you won't be challenged to produce any drone registration documentation if you get your bags checked at immigration.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada