DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK SSSI blanket drone ban - ridiculous!

To offer some closure...NE has now agreed that there are no bird features on the SSSI I contacted them about and therefore it's consent was not necessary.. maybe helped by the fact I wasn't intending to operate from within the SSSI.

Reactions: Gobuchul and zocalo
Hi all,

I am a complete novice, having bought my Mavic Pro 2 in February 2020 in advance of travelling to Thailand to shoot some of the fabulous locations there. I decided to leave my drone at home following Dubai passing the buck as to whether I could stay 3 nights, without intending to fly my drone, and not risk it being confiscated by them. Then Covid 19 prevented any further practice at flying my drone.

On getting my drone, I immediately registered and took the theory test here in the UK; all good. Although a hobbyist, I have full insurance cover for over £1m public liability etc. (needed for the planned trip to Thailand) and I genuinely wish to fly legally and responsibly at all times.

I have, and use, the AirMap, Drone Buddy Pro and Drone Assist apps. I also have Sky Wise and I am registered to receive drone related updates.

So all good! Where could I possibly go wrong? Well I too live on the Northumberland Coast and agree with other posters about the ridiculous blanket bans on flying a drone. I have only this week learnt of the existence of SSSIs and discovered my drone flights on the beach at Cresswell are, for some reason not permitted and whether flying my drone near/around Bamburg Castle legally, I find impossible to check. I have found car parks either end of the castle which do not fall within the designated SSSI’s and CCA have no restrictions. So provided that I comply with the drone code, no problem, except I cannot find out if these areas are within the Bamburgh Castle Estate (in which case permission is expressly refused).

Apologies for this long post, but I just cannot understand the logic and fairness of these SSSIs blanket bans. I totally get the possible distress that a drone could cause to birds and other wildlife. I also understand Bamburgh Castle having had incidents where drones have caused damage to their (listed) property. But ……. my drone flying above fauna and other plants, does not cause any damage and, as previously pointed out by others, potential distress to animals is seasonally dependent. When flying my drone, I am required to be registered, have passed a theory test and comply with the drone code at all times.

Dog owners, on the other hand, do not need any of the above, or equivalent, and are free to let their pets run free through such fauna and nesting birds and disturb/worry/attack other animals, with the only reliance being placed on their being handled by responsible owners; which the vast majority being just that.

As a responsible drone pilot, I feel that I and other drone pilots, are being treated unfairly and discriminated against. Is there any organisation/group to which we may subscribe to promote and protect our rights?

As a responsible drone pilot, I feel that I and other drone pilots, are being treated unfairly and discriminated against. Is there any organisation/group to which we may subscribe to promote and protect our rights?

Not as such, the closest we have are organizations like the BMFA that acts primarily as a kind of umbrella organization to regional flying clubs, rather than a political lobbying body. The BMFA does engage in some lobbying however, and has had some success in that area, but it's questionable how much weight it would have compared to commercial interests and the UK's Pilot Union, BALPA in any official decision making process.

That said, membership does still offer some pretty nice perks for drone pilots, so I'd recommend you check them out if you haven't done so already.

Not as such, the closest we have are organizations like the BMFA that acts primarily as a kind of umbrella organization to regional flying clubs, rather than a political lobbying body. The BMFA does engage in some lobbying however, and has had some success in that area, but it's questionable how much weight it would have compared to commercial interests and the UK's Pilot Union, BALPA in any official decision making process.

That said, membership does still offer some pretty nice perks for drone pilots, so I'd recommend you check them out if you haven't done so already.
Hi Zocalo, many thanks for your prompt and very helpful reply.

I have located a BMFA affiliated club near me and have emailed them for more information about joining. I have also looked up the BMFA and found out about the things they have done to represent the drone flying community.

I am thinking of doing a great deal of careful research and to begin asking the relevant local authorities, and organisations, such as who has actually set out designated SSSI's, their rationale, detailed justifications and authority to place blanket discriminatory bans on the flying of drones along the almost entire UK coastline.

Living near the fantastic Northumberland coastland, I wish to enjoy my right to engage in my hobby, as a drone pilot, in a responsible way, without un-necessary and un-justified hinderance. Whilst I do not question say the Farne Islands being SSSI designated, I will question the designation of say, Cresswell Beach and many other dubious locations as being of SSSI. I will request of them, what is the specific reason for the designation, what fauna or birds / animals inhabit that location and whether it can be reasonably closed to drone pilots throughout the year; particularly when potentially more damaging activities are permitted without restriction.

Once I have begun the above, I intend to create a website so that progress, or otherwise, can be posted and fellow drone pilots may email me to share their views, advise of other questionable locations etc.. I will advise when this has been done. However, whilst I understand the frustration, I cannot support ignoring current rules and regulations, no matter how banal and ridiculous; because it is such behaviour that can be used to add to the argument for yet more restrictions and regulations.

Just want to point a couple of things out — I live in southport and we have miles of SSSI covering our beaches to the north and south.

I am a wheelchair user (paralysed - cannot walk at all) but I also have PfCO. I cannot get on the beach but regularly see people wandering about on it with their dogs and quite often with cameras on tripods shooting the lovely sunsets.

I am not allowed to fly my drone over the empty miles of Southport sand due to SSSI — even with my common sense approach due to being a licensed drone operator - but people can go where they like on foot.

Reactions: Geordie
Hi Jamiele,
I appreciate your contribution. I emailed Natural England and attach that email and their very helpful prompt reply. I am not sure if you have contacted Natural England regarding flying your drone over the sand dunes at Southport? If you have, it would be really good to share their response, otherwise, you can always contact them.

Good luck!
Just want to point a couple of things out — I live in southport and we have miles of SSSI covering our beaches to the north and south.

I am a wheelchair user (paralysed - cannot walk at all) but I also have PfCO. I cannot get on the beach but regularly see people wandering about on it with their dogs and quite often with cameras on tripods shooting the lovely sunsets.

I am not allowed to fly my drone over the empty miles of Southport sand due to SSSI — even with my common sense approach due to being a licensed drone operator - but people can go where they like on foot.

Attachments

• Email to Natural England.pdf
    90.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Reply Natural England.pdf
    151.9 KB · Views: 27
I've only had my Mavic Pro a few days and have really been enjoying it.

I have completed the flyer test and registered it.

I live on the Northumberland Coast and thought I had been following all the rules and guidelines from the drone code. However, today I discovered that there is a complete ban on flying a drone from or over a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI). This means the majority of the UK coast, which isn't a "built-up" area is out of bounds. Basically all of the NE coast is a SSSI.

So you can water ski, jet ski, fish, dive, sail, kite surf, land yacht, ride a horse and paraglide but you can't fly a drone.

Absolutely ridiculous.

I will continue to fly and follow the drone code but will be ignoring the SSSI ban.
I've only just logged to this forum. I have exactly the same problem as you - I live in Northumberland and am just starting an aerial video business. I got the A2 C of C and was looking forward to getting some great shots of the coastline. I went up to Bamburgh really early to catch the sunrise over Bamburgh, but was told I couldn't fly the drone or film because the area was in an SSSI, and the land owners would not allow it.

I've tried everyday I can think of to do this, and the whole coastline is the same.

As you say - absolutely crazy !

Have you managed to get any further forward ?

cheers

Hi all,

I am a complete novice, having bought my Mavic Pro 2 in February 2020 in advance of travelling to Thailand to shoot some of the fabulous locations there. I decided to leave my drone at home following Dubai passing the buck as to whether I could stay 3 nights, without intending to fly my drone, and not risk it being confiscated by them. Then Covid 19 prevented any further practice at flying my drone.

On getting my drone, I immediately registered and took the theory test here in the UK; all good. Although a hobbyist, I have full insurance cover for over £1m public liability etc. (needed for the planned trip to Thailand) and I genuinely wish to fly legally and responsibly at all times.

I have, and use, the AirMap, Drone Buddy Pro and Drone Assist apps. I also have Sky Wise and I am registered to receive drone related updates.

So all good! Where could I possibly go wrong? Well I too live on the Northumberland Coast and agree with other posters about the ridiculous blanket bans on flying a drone. I have only this week learnt of the existence of SSSIs and discovered my drone flights on the beach at Cresswell are, for some reason not permitted and whether flying my drone near/around Bamburg Castle legally, I find impossible to check. I have found car parks either end of the castle which do not fall within the designated SSSI’s and CCA have no restrictions. So provided that I comply with the drone code, no problem, except I cannot find out if these areas are within the Bamburgh Castle Estate (in which case permission is expressly refused).

Apologies for this long post, but I just cannot understand the logic and fairness of these SSSIs blanket bans. I totally get the possible distress that a drone could cause to birds and other wildlife. I also understand Bamburgh Castle having had incidents where drones have caused damage to their (listed) property. But ……. my drone flying above fauna and other plants, does not cause any damage and, as previously pointed out by others, potential distress to animals is seasonally dependent. When flying my drone, I am required to be registered, have passed a theory test and comply with the drone code at all times.

Dog owners, on the other hand, do not need any of the above, or equivalent, and are free to let their pets run free through such fauna and nesting birds and disturb/worry/attack other animals, with the only reliance being placed on their being handled by responsible owners; which the vast majority being just that.

Hi - I have exactly the same issue. I've got the A2 C of C and Im wanting to do aerial video as a business (I'm in Northumberland too). I had the same problem with Bamburgh, and the SSSI bans make it impossible !

Have you managed to get any further with this ?

Thanks

Hi - I have exactly the same issue. I've got the A2 C of C and Im wanting to do aerial video as a business (I'm in Northumberland too). I had the same problem with Bamburgh, and the SSSI bans make it impossible !

Have you managed to get any further with this ?

Thanks
I talked to them about issues in Yorkshire...big wheels turn slowly so you'll eventually get someone to talk to and discuss suitable times and dates for your work

I talked to them about issues in Yorkshire...big wheels turn slowly so you'll eventually get someone to talk to and discuss suitable times and dates for your work
Thanks - Did you have a specific contact that you could let me have ? I've called a few people, but haven't managed to get anyone to let me go ahead

Thanks - Did you have a specific contact that you could let me have ? I've called a few people, but haven't managed to get anyone to let me go ahead
I went on the Natural England website iirc and used the contact us option.
That will then be referred to a local office I believe.

I've only just logged to this forum. I have exactly the same problem as you - I live in Northumberland and am just starting an aerial video business. I got the A2 C of C and was looking forward to getting some great shots of the coastline. I went up to Bamburgh really early to catch the sunrise over Bamburgh, but was told I couldn't fly the drone or film because the area was in an SSSI, and the land owners would not allow it.

I've tried everyday I can think of to do this, and the whole coastline is the same.

As you say - absolutely crazy !

Have you managed to get any further forward ?

cheers
Hiya. I work for the Department of Environment Food and Rural Affairs. Natural England is one of our ‘arms length’ bodies. Can I ask who told you you couldn’t fly? Don’t worry, I’m not going to share this any further than this forum. PM me if you prefer.

Also - No promises here, but to anyone having issues I’m prepared to try and help. We can often get things done quicker internally. If you need info on when and where you might be able to try I’ll happily ask from the inside to see if we can get an answer quicker.

Reactions: Hiwayman
Hiya. I work for the Department of Environment Food and Rural Affairs. Natural England is one of our ‘arms length’ bodies. Can I ask who told you you couldn’t fly? Don’t worry, I’m not going to share this any further than this forum. PM me if you prefer.

Also - No promises here, but to anyone having issues I’m prepared to try and help. We can often get things done quicker internally. If you need info on when and where you might be able to try I’ll happily ask from the inside to see if we can get an answer quicker.
Great offer... thank you...(no issues at the moment I'm pleased to report 😊).

Reactions: Lastrexking

Hi -Thanks for the reply. Any help would be great !

Initially, it was a member of the public who said I wasn't allowed as it was within an SSSI plus the landowner wouldn't be happy. I immediately looked up the information on Natural England and what i read indicated the same.

I've only had my Mavic Pro a few days and have really been enjoying it.

I have completed the flyer test and registered it.

I live on the Northumberland Coast and thought I had been following all the rules and guidelines from the drone code. However, today I discovered that there is a complete ban on flying a drone from or over a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI). This means the majority of the UK coast, which isn't a "built-up" area is out of bounds. Basically all of the NE coast is a SSSI.

So you can water ski, jet ski, fish, dive, sail, kite surf, land yacht, ride a horse and paraglide but you can't fly a drone.

Absolutely ridiculous.

I will continue to fly and follow the drone code but will be ignoring the SSSI ban.
I'd probably react the same as you, in your situation. Keep your flights short and stay unobserved. Then leave as quickly as possible. Get in, take your vid or photos and get out! Stay safe my friend.

Hi -Thanks for the reply. Any help would be great !

Initially, it was a member of the public who said I wasn't allowed as it was within an SSSI plus the landowner wouldn't be happy. I immediately looked up the information on Natural England and what i read indicated the same.
In my case it made a difference when I confirmed I wasn't flying off the SSSI, simply flying over it.....but that will depend on the nature of the SSSI

In my case it made a difference when I confirmed I wasn't flying off the SSSI, simply flying over it.....but that will depend on the nature of the SSSI
Also timing would be a factor. If it's a nesting site, then you will almost certainly have more luck getting permission to fly if you make your application outside the period where there would be breeding birds or chicks present.

In my experience if you're asking for permission to do something it helps if you demonstrate that you've done your homework by stating what the issues are and what you intend to do to ensure that you are not going to cause any issues in the initial request. If you can make whoever is dealing with it feel that all they need to do is rubber stamp the approval without any chance of it blowing up in their face then they're more likely to do so and move onto their next task.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54