DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK tourist license

Jackie Leung

Reactions
Hi all,

I'm planning a trip to the UK in the summer.

What's the newest regulations for drone flying? Do I need a license just do take some scenic shots around the country?

Cheers

Yes your drone has a camera so not classed as a toy, please more info needed like what drone, cheers Len

@Jackie Leung you will need a operator ID and a Flyer ID go on the UK CAA website and look under drones and it will all be explained there

Reactions: twickers14
that's great ,enjoy your visit

Hope you enjoy your visit and are able to use your drone to its full but be aware that many tourist attractions are subject to restrictions on taking off from and landing on their property. Typically these are National Trust and English Heritage properties including open countryside areas. Many stately homes and local attractions have also implemented the same restrictions.
There are plenty of areas to over fly and enjoy but do your homework thoroughly and do not just "chance it".
From my quiet corner of the Welsh border country
Flying Shroppie

I also am planning a trip to the UK this summer (I'm a Brit who became a US citizen in 2009). I am thinking about the possibility of taking my Mavic Air 2 to get some aerial shots of my home region (parents still live in the area). Can anyone talk about what is involved in getting the drone through TSA, customs, etc. I will be flying from Indianapolis to New York, and then on to Heathrow, London (American Airlines and British Airways). Any insights on this would be welcome. TIA

OK. Firstly to register the operator and drone the site is here:-
Depending on drone you may need to register both or just one. Depends on the weight.

You'll definitely need an operator ID and might or might not need a Flyer ID depending on the drone.

Its the same site and system for a tourist and all done through there.

Online, quite painless and even with the test takes about 15 mins max.

Then make sure you're familiar with the UK drone laws and also where you can/cant fly.

Absolutely no not EVER rely on DJIs inbuilt Geo to see where its legal to fly - its woefully inaccurate and misses out most areas.
Also be very cautious of 3rd party apps for the same reason.

Get and use the official National Air Traffic Services "DroneAssist" app. This is the only proper authoritative data source for where you can and cannot fly so should be the one relied on.
Altitude Angel (who provide the backend) also have a website where the same information can be seen:- Registering a drone or model aircraft | UK Civil Aviation Authority.

Definitely don't rely on other software to see where to fly.

Some places like National Trust <spit> and others wont allow you to *operate* from their property (ie take off, land or control from). Some like NT also falsely claim its illegal to fly OVER their land. Its not. Provided the rest of the rules can be followed to regarding VLOS etc its perfectly legal.

Reactions: old man mavic
I have both a operator ID and a pilot ID from Norway (which has the same rules as the UK). Can I fly with these IDs in the UK or do I have to obtain british IDs?

no you will need to go on the CAA web site and obtain them for the UK £10 for a years operator ID ,and flyer ID free and lasts 5 years

OK. Thanks for your reply. I'll do that. I just saw that all other rules are exactly the same as here in Norway so I wondered. No big deal anyway.

its not just about the rules its because we are no longer in the EU, if you go on the CAA website it will tell you if the Norwegian rules are the same as ours, and whether or not you need to have a separate UK Op ID and Fly ID

Just reporting back that I ended up taking my Mavic Air 2 as planned and did get some footage of my home area. However, British Airlines somehow couldn't manage to get my checked luggage to me during the whole 10 day trip (it arrived back in Indianapolis several days after I returned home to the USA), so I was without my charger and was only able to use the 3 batteries I had charged. Moral of that story is keep your charger with your hand luggage. :) Also, put AirTags in all of your checked baggage...that way you can keep track of where it is even when the airline can't.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada