DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ultra sonic module data error what does it mean

BU51GET

Reactions
I am fairly new to the drone scene and am flying a Mavic Air. I feel a little worried that on a recent flight on RTH I saw a message flash up “ultra sonic module data error contact customer support”. I saw it flash up but you know warning messages or on screen for such a short time you don’t really have long enough to read it. It was only when I played back flight history I was able to read it clearly. Thoughts please?

The Ultra-Sonic part of your Mavic does the ground sensing (vertical). Two questions before you go further:
1) Have you mounted anything onto the bottom of the Mavic? (I got this error when I used a protection plate like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hensych®-C...&sr=8-19&keywords=mavic+pro+gimbal+protection ).
2) Are you seeing any flashing Amber / red LED's at the back of the Mavic - and if so, do their flash sequence align with any error condition mentioned in your flight manual??
[I'm a Mavic Pro pilot - so sorry if this is completely different on the Mavic Air ...]

Thanks so much for your fast reply!
I have nothing mounted on the undercarriage and I cannot remember if any amber lights were flashing. I have not flown since as I was in distress haha. A little background for you. I was flying on an overcast day on a fairly elevated position at least 1000 ASL. It’s a quiet place in the Pennines in NE England. The weather started as overcast but in a very short time low level mist rolled in and I lost sight of the drone. Couldn’t see or hear it so panic set in. I hit RTL it seemed an eternity before it made it to launch point. Maybe the poor visibility hindered it seeing the ground and thus sent the message?I plan to fly today in a different spot and will report any repetition.

Not sure about the Mav' Air, but I do know that if my Mav Pro is not a happy bunny, it does show it through the Amber/Red LED's on its back-end.
The Mav' Air does have some status light flashing which can help [ Mavic Air Status Indicator Light Guide | Aerial Guide ] . It is very possible that the mist upset the ultrasonics, as the water-vapour would absorb/disperse the sound-waves and not provide a clean radar return from the ground. Return To Home [RTH] would have used GPS to get the drone back to you, and depending on how far away it was at the time, and how high you had set the RTH altitude - that would have taken time. The drone will rise to height, make its way back to overhead the RTH point, then descend. It's in the final stages of the descent that the ultrasonics are usually there to assist you to finish the precision landing.
Let us know, but I think a clear day will see a better result ...

Reactions: BU51GET
Not sure about the Mav' Air, but I do know that if my Mav Pro is not a happy bunny, it does show it through the Amber/Red LED's on its back-end.
The Mav' Air does have some status light flashing which can help [ Mavic Air Status Indicator Light Guide | Aerial Guide ] . It is very possible that the mist upset the ultrasonics, as the water-vapour would absorb/disperse the sound-waves and not provide a clean radar return from the ground. Return To Home [RTH] would have used GPS to get the drone back to you, and depending on how far away it was at the time, and how high you had set the RTH altitude - that would have taken time. The drone will rise to height, make its way back to overhead the RTH point, then descend. It's in the final stages of the descent that the ultrasonics are usually there to assist you to finish the precision landing.
Let us know, but I think a clear day will see a better result ...

Thanks very much, I feel reassured as it seems most likely this was weather related. Having read so many posts of drones doing their own thing and sometimes being lost I was concerned there may have been something which could cause it to fly off on its own accord.

Incidentally, I was in the Macclesfield area in Cheshire no elec pylons in the immediate area so no known magnetic forces etc.

I will take note of the different colour codes on the Mavic Air as clearly they mean something! Never read instructions how to fly, I just watched some you tube videos, like many, I just wanted to get airborne after doing the compass and other settings in the go for app. Thanks again.

You only see so many posts about fly-aways, because this is where people come for answers, but - if you research drone fly-aways and watch those YouTube videos, you'll see that a lot of the times, it's because of pilots doing something they shouldn't, or the aircraft not being prepared properly before flight. You'll also see that fly-aways are not as common as you think ... DJI drones are really complex pieces of electronics, and therefore, it's important to understand what they can and can't do ... It's also going to become more important from this time next year when we'll all need CAA registration. The Drone Code says that "Every time you fly your drone you must follow the manufacturers instructions". This is so you don't damage someone by dropping your drone on them ... Understanding how it works means that e.g. even if you can't see the Mavic in the mist (poetic!) you'll know that it's on its way back when you have pressed the RTH button. Have fun and fly safe ...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851