DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Un-needed emergency landing activated

rscheff

Reactions
Yesterday (8/8/21) I flew 6 missions created through Dronelink. I was trying to fly an Orbit mission with a fully charged battery. I rcvd. a msg. saying that the mission could not be flown because contact with the aircraft could not be made. I tried re-starting the mission a couple times but it would not work. I started to bring the drone back when I suddenly rcvd. the sound of drone RTH. The problem was my RTH is set to 140 feet and I was at approximately 50 feet alt. and 100 feet away. The drone started to land right where it was, which would be on top of a car. I hit the RTH button to stop descent but it would not stop. I tried taking over the controls and I struggled to keep control of the drone. I was trying to gain altitude and fly back to me in an empty spot of parking lot. I just barely made it back and just missed crashing into a moving car. I tried looking at my flight logs and out of 6 logs 2 could not be read by "Airdata". Also one 12 minute mission created with dronelink was not even recorded. What would caused DJI fly to go into emergency land mode with a fresh battery. Of the flight logs I could read there was only 2 records with a normal landing at 30%?

I won't hazard a guess on your DroneLink problems but will on your RTH immediately descending. You may have been closer than your estimated 100 ft. Within 20 meters (66ft) the Mini will not climb to your set RTH altitude, it will land as it should. Best see your manual for RTH procedure and overrides.

Reactions: Saladshooter
Yesterday (8/8/21) I flew 6 missions created through Dronelink. I was trying to fly an Orbit mission with a fully charged battery. I rcvd. a msg. saying that the mission could not be flown because contact with the aircraft could not be made. I tried re-starting the mission a couple times but it would not work. I started to bring the drone back when I suddenly rcvd. the sound of drone RTH. The problem was my RTH is set to 140 feet and I was at approximately 50 feet alt. and 100 feet away. The drone started to land right where it was, which would be on top of a car. I hit the RTH button to stop descent but it would not stop. I tried taking over the controls and I struggled to keep control of the drone. I was trying to gain altitude and fly back to me in an empty spot of parking lot. I just barely made it back and just missed crashing into a moving car. I tried looking at my flight logs and out of 6 logs 2 could not be read by "Airdata". Also one 12 minute mission created with dronelink was not even recorded. What would caused DJI fly to go into emergency land mode with a fresh battery. Of the flight logs I could read there was only 2 records with a normal landing at 30%?
RTH / homepoint issues are discussed here ALL the time. Searching threads may help in that regard.

Making sure your RTH / homepoint is where you are is a key thing to note when flying. Getting up and out in some spots is a recipe for disaster like you found out. Waiting a few seconds for RTH / homepoint to happen close to you is advisable. If you're in open spaces, simply turning on the RC / drone and not taking off can catch the GPS signal and provide a homepoint where the drone is sitting. No props moving so very little battery loss is involved. Most time, I have to get it 25-75 ft in the air to receive homepoint - but that is straight up from my take off point, not already out on a mission.

What are your RTH settings? That can make a huge difference between saving your drone or losing it, if not set within good parameters.

Can't comment on dronelink - don't use it, so maybe someone else who does can chime in.

I am working with DJI on this issue. It appears to be an issue between the location flown and losing connection with the drone and using Dronelink. Two issues are being looked at as of now. One: There was no flight log created or what was created was damaged and this appears to be true with any flight created with Dronelink. This not supposed to happen according to DJI but I have given them all my flight logs for that day. The basic question is: Why did DJI Fly initiate an emergency landing with a fully charged battery. DJI has requested that I try to recreate the issue, in a safe place, but I cannot. The issue is not, directly, related to the RTH. I have been using the same 140' height for 2 years without issue. I also have lost connection with the drone many times and it has always done what has been entered as an order, "hover in place". I was advised that their senior analysts are working on it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54