DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unable to bypass NFZ?

BLuTO

Reactions
I was on a commercial shoot yesterday, at a location near a Class-C airport. I have flown at this location several times over the last few weeks, always around the same time of day. I always take the proper precautions and always receive tower clearance before I fly. Keep in mind, I am a FAA licensed UAS Part 107, Pilot.

This flight was just like the rest...However, the story goes like this...
- Received my tower clearance. (I use the KittyHawk App, to receive my LAANC authorizations)
- Powered up the drone.
- I then Received the NFZ warning in the DJI app. (I received this before and was able to "sign my life away" saying I'm 100% responsible and what not. I got the Pin from DJI and all was well.)
- This time I was UNABLE to bypass it! I shut down everything, restarted, and again, not able to bypass.
- It dawned on me that I was launching from a slightly different location that may have been aprox 1/4 mile closer to the actual airport, than previous flights.
- I quickly ran back to my "Usual" launch sight. (Time was of the essence seeing my ATC authorization was time sensitive.)
- I powered up, received the NFZ warning, again it didn't work. I then began troubleshooting.
- I switched between Sport, to Positioning and Tripod modes. AND BINGO! I missed my window of light so ultimately I was screwed.

So in conclusion, I was able to take off in "Sport Mode" but was unable to take off in Positioning Mode. Could this be the case? Or was it actually the 1/4 mile distance that made this work? I received ATC approval at the "closer to the airport" GPS location, so why would DJI ground me?

Is there something I'm missing? Is there a way to register yourself with DJI as a licensed pilot, so you don't receive the NFZ complications? As a licensed pilot, I don't ever want to jeopardize that obviously. I always do per-flight checks and am always aware of my airspace. I know I needed clearance, so I received it. Then DJI screwed me. Is there a way for DJI and LAANC to communicate? What caused this?

Now I am forced to re-shoot. Due to this error, (if it is one) which means more money and time, and I can't bill the client for this "attempt."
Any thoughts?

First off WELCOME to the forum.

DJI has different Levels of NFZ. The farther ones are "Self Unlock" which means you can "sign your life away". The closer your get to the airport it becomes a RED zone and for that you have to contact DJI and request a Custom Unlock. Here's the DJI page that helps describe different zones/areas:

Self Unlock vs Custom Unlock DJI FlySafe
Self Unlock
vs
Custom Unlock

Sometimes things happen and we have to suck it up and accept it. You should always have a Back Up plan... just in case. We carry a non DJI aircraft as a backup and we have "work arounds" in place for other such situations. The fact that it was a different location than you had flown before puts the responsibility on your shoulders for flight planning.

I would definitely spend more time preplanning and getting things "Going" well ahead of the critical moment next time. I've been in your shoes (they hurt my feet) and I chalk it up as a learning experience and try to not REPEAT the same mistakes twice.

I was on a commercial shoot yesterday, at a location near a Class-C airport. I have flown at this location several times over the last few weeks, always around the same time of day. I always take the proper precautions and always receive tower clearance before I fly. Keep in mind, I am a FAA licensed UAS Part 107, Pilot.

This flight was just like the rest...However, the story goes like this...
- Received my tower clearance. (I use the KittyHawk App, to receive my LAANC authorizations)
- Powered up the drone.
- I then Received the NFZ warning in the DJI app. (I received this before and was able to "sign my life away" saying I'm 100% responsible and what not. I got the Pin from DJI and all was well.)
- This time I was UNABLE to bypass it! I shut down everything, restarted, and again, not able to bypass.
- It dawned on me that I was launching from a slightly different location that may have been aprox 1/4 mile closer to the actual airport, than previous flights.
- I quickly ran back to my "Usual" launch sight. (Time was of the essence seeing my ATC authorization was time sensitive.)
- I powered up, received the NFZ warning, again it didn't work. I then began troubleshooting.
- I switched between Sport, to Positioning and Tripod modes. AND BINGO! I missed my window of light so ultimately I was screwed.

So in conclusion, I was able to take off in "Sport Mode" but was unable to take off in Positioning Mode. Could this be the case? Or was it actually the 1/4 mile distance that made this work? I received ATC approval at the "closer to the airport" GPS location, so why would DJI ground me?

Is there something I'm missing? Is there a way to register yourself with DJI as a licensed pilot, so you don't receive the NFZ complications? As a licensed pilot, I don't ever want to jeopardize that obviously. I always do per-flight checks and am always aware of my airspace. I know I needed clearance, so I received it. Then DJI screwed me. Is there a way for DJI and LAANC to communicate? What caused this?

Now I am forced to re-shoot. Due to this error, (if it is one) which means more money and time, and I can't bill the client for this "attempt."
Any thoughts?
Were you connected to the internet? I had this happen when I didn't have my wifi hotspot on on my phone so my Smart Controller didn't have an internet signal.

Were you connected to the internet? I had this happen when I didn't have my wifi hotspot on on my phone so my Smart Controller didn't have an internet signal.
I was connected via cellular data. Knowing I was getting LAANC approval. I have to be self reliant. I did not want to count on any local WiFi or Cell Phone Hot-Spots.

Reactions: Filipok and BigAl07
First off WELCOME to the forum.

DJI has different Levels of NFZ. The farther ones are "Self Unlock" which means you can "sign your life away". The closer your get to the airport it becomes a RED zone and for that you have to contact DJI and request a Custom Unlock. Here's the DJI page that helps describe different zones/areas:

Self Unlock vs Custom Unlock DJI FlySafe
Self Unlock
vs
Custom Unlock

Sometimes things happen and we have to suck it up and accept it. You should always have a Back Up plan... just in case. We carry a non DJI aircraft as a backup and we have "work arounds" in place for other such situations. The fact that it was a different location than you had flown before puts the responsibility on your shoulders for flight planning.

I would definitely spend more time preplanning and getting things "Going" well ahead of the critical moment next time. I've been in your shoes (they hurt my feet) and I chalk it up as a learning experience and try to not REPEAT the same mistakes twice.

Thank you for this info. I'm disapointed that this is new to me. This was certainly a learning experience. I agree that I wasn't given enough pre-flight check time. Directors are directors. I felt confident seeing that this "location" (the massive winery) wasn't new to me, and that the short 300 yards. Really wouldn't make that big of a difference. Anyway. You live, you learn. I'm excited to get back in the air.

Thank you for this info. I'm disapointed that this is new to me. This was certainly a learning experience. I agree that I wasn't given enough pre-flight check time. Directors are directors. I felt confident seeing that this "location" (the massive winery) wasn't new to me, and that the short 300 yards. Really wouldn't make that big of a difference. Anyway. You live, you learn. I'm excited to get back in the air.
How can you ‘not have enough pre-flight check time?

I don’t care who the director thinks he is, I point out I am the PIC, I am responsible for the safety of the flight and unless I am satisfied with pre flight, the aircraft doesn’t go airborne.

I have said it before to jumped up directors and I would say it to Spielberg!

I do not sacrifice safety for anybody.

I have a set pre, during and post flight checklist written into my ops manual and it is always followed - even if I’m doing a recreational/test flight.

Have you tried Litchi ? I use it pretty much full time now being there are no NFZ restrictions , no signing your life away to be able to fly your drone . It will notify you if you are approaching or in a NFZ but will not keep you from flying .

Reactions: panoramia
As a first time drone owner (M2Pro) one would think this may not be relevant. I learn something new each time I visit.

Thanks BLuTO for posting the issue.

Have you tried Litchi ? I use it pretty much full time now being there are no NFZ restrictions , no signing your life away to be able to fly your drone . It will notify you if you are approaching or in a NFZ but will not keep you from flying .
Did you perhaps mean NLD as Litchi will not bypass NFZ's...

This is why I sold my DJI and got a Autel EVO there is no air police on my R/C when I turn it on.....Good luck the next time......

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots