DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unable to start propeller manually

afarkas

Reactions
Unable to start propeller manually by pointing the sticks down and in or down and out.
Can this be caused by the fact i changed the left stick orientation?
(go up is pull, go down is push)

Can this be caused by the fact i changed the left stick orientation?
Yes.

Does it work as expected when you switch back to Mode 2?

Reactions: afarkas
Yes.

Does it work as expected when you switch back to Mode 2?

I will try tomorrow.
But will not fly.
Im affraid of that stick mode... have flown years of flight simulations with standard stick, even in real plane once, all life working with loads of machines where "Pull" means "Up" and now suddenly comes Mavic with a universe upside-down :D
(Why is that that way BTW??? : -D )

How custom? Is "Pull left" for "Go Up"?

If I recall, the factory configuration has elevation on the left stick.
I have no need or want, but I’m pretty sure you can set it up so pull left can be for “ go up”.
Look under custom setup of the controls.
Being that I have the use of one hand only, I set up my controller so the most used positions ( forward/back, Left/Right turn) are on the right side.

Last edited:
OK, so i tested an when i switch back to MODE2, it starts the propellers... with my custom settings does not.
In fact my custom settings is like MODE2, but the throtle up and throtle down are reversed...

(go up is pull, go down is push)

As someone who flew airplanes for work, I too wanted this configuration when I got my first drone because these are the normal actions needed when in a fixed wing aircraft. But, I opted to learn the reverse muscle memory because it was the standard for the drone community.

OK, so i tested an when i switch back to MODE2, it starts the propellers... with my custom settings does not.
In fact my custom settings is like MODE2, but the throtle up and throtle down are reversed...
Do the motors start if you push both sticks up and to the inside (or outside) corners?

I will try tomorrow.
But will not fly.
Im affraid of that stick mode... have flown years of flight simulations with standard stick, even in real plane once, all life working with loads of machines where "Pull" means "Up" and now suddenly comes Mavic with a universe upside-down :D
(Why is that that way BTW??? : -D )
Actually, it is not reversed if you think of the left stick as the throttle, not the yoke in a plane. When you push the throttle, you are increasing rpms and therefore altitude, and when you pull you are decreasing rpms and therefore decreasing altitude.

Reactions: Steve Murray
I wonder if the motors would start if you push left stick up and in and right stick down and in while using your custom setting. Have you tried that?

Reactions: MS Coast
I wonder if the motors would start if you push left stick up and in and right stick down and in while using your custom setting. Have you tried that?
yes, i did. they do not start...
There is one more point in this - Will they stop in emergency if i make the stop gesture with the sticks?
Im not going to try it :D :D :D but would like to know...

Actually, it is not reversed if you think of the left stick as the throttle, not the yoke in a plane. When you push the throttle, you are increasing rpms and therefore altitude, and when you pull you are decreasing rpms and therefore decreasing altitude.
well, in airplane the altitude do not change with the rpms... and i personally do not consider the airplane throtle stick equal to the dji left stick as djis left stick controlls the direction... i consider djis left stick as the yoke in airplane, because it controlls the vertical direction

but anyway, i have worked with crane, with bulldoser, with caterpillar dosers, with manitou engines and all kind of different engines... and everywher "PULL" mens "(pull) UP" ...

just a world-wide spread habit...
:)

yes, i did. they do not start...
There is one more point in this - Will they stop in emergency if i make the stop gesture with the sticks?
Im not going to try it :D :D :D but would like to know...
You could start the props in mode 2 and just let it idle on the ground, change the setting to your custom setting, and try the both sticks down and in to see if the motors stop.

Personally, in all the time I have been flying, I have never stopped the motors with the down and in movements. I just hold the left stick down and when the MP detects it is not descending the motors stop. EDIT: I am using the default mode 2.

Last edited:
You could start the props in mode 2 and just let it idle on the ground, change the setting to your custom setting, and try the both sticks down and in to see if the motors stop.

Personally, in all the time I have been flying, I have never stopped the motors with the down and in movements. I just hold the left stick down and when the MP detects it is not descending the motors stop.
im going to try this. thanks

well, in airplane the altitude do not change with the rpms... and i personally do not consider the airplane throtle stick equal to the dji left stick as djis left stick controlls the direction... i consider djis left stick as the yoke in airplane, because it controlls the vertical direction

but anyway, i have worked with crane, with bulldoser, with caterpillar dosers, with manitou engines and all kind of different engines... and everywher "PULL" mens "(pull) UP" ...

just a world-wide spread habit...
:)
Airplane altitude does change with power setting. If you increase power, the plane climbs unless you make other control inputs. You have to add down elevator trim if you want the increased power to increase speed instead of altitude. And it’s pretty obvious that decreasing power will result in a loss of altitude.

Reactions: HighlandsVideo
Airplane altitude does change with power setting. If you increase power, the plane climbs unless you make other control inputs. You have to add down elevator trim if you want the increased power to increase speed instead of altitude. And it’s pretty obvious that decreasing power will result in a loss of altitude.
Yes, but onky minimally, as a side effect. The purpose of throtle stick is not to change the vertical direction... For that there is an other dedicated stick...
By the way, how does that work in a real helicopter? Have never try...

As Drbobk has allready stated you are mistaken afarkas, the throttle is the primary control for altitude, the elevator is the primary control for pitch attitude with a secondary and short lived effect on altitude.

Your setup has the throttle action reversed when compared to convention, although this is better suited to you it is not the way aircraft are normaly setup

It might take longer to explain than I have patience, but this might help Effects-of-controls | Civil Aviation Authority of New Zealand

Unfortunately, the comparison between real flight controls and drone controls is a non-starter as there are too many differences. However, if you trim an aircraft for level flight and then add power, it WILL climb unless you hold altitude physically. The opposite is also true, reduce power and she will descend. The problem as noted by another person is that the "throttle" on the controller also controls heading and that's why the comparison just doesn't work.

Reactions: MS Coast
I have to admit that I'm still inclined to think the dynamics and movement of the Mavic drones are MAGIC. Four propellers and somehow it can move directly up/down, it can move directly left/right, it can move directly forward/back and it can also TURN left and right. MAGIC.

Reactions: HighlandsVideo
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett