DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unacceptable audio w/external mic RC Pro -Screen Recording

BlairAir

Reactions
Anyone had good results doing screen recordings on the RC Pro? I have been though 6, count 'em! microphones and have yet to get any voiceover that doesn't sound like the mic gain is set a 10,000. Absolutely horrendous. Let me back up a bit:

Got the RC Pro in early December. Within a day I discovered RC Pro does not have an onboard mic. as we had with the V1 Smart Controller. That was annoying but I figured easy enough to overcome. First few mic's were USB-C wired ones, pretty basic. But sound was unacceptable. Stepped up to a few wireless designs, no audible improvement. One issue is there are no input side volume controls that I can find on the device. Just "Media Volume" -this includes Developer Options which I enabled.

Now we are in the $75-150 Mic category on the last few, and the sound is identically horrible, again sounds like gain is cranked beyond all reason. Note that all of these mics sound almost identical, and used on other android devices I have, they sound perfectly acceptable for voiceover on a screen recording.

Has anyone else dealt with this, or has anyone had acceptable mic input signal doing screen recording?

I thought I remember years ago an APK that was a digital mixer and allowed gains to be adjusted, EQ etc.

Might be worth hunting down as the current settings are unacceptable and any ability to change them in Android is well hidden or unavailable. Heck if I need a volume booster for Evo 2 Pro "Smart" Controller then why not an input gain reduced for DJI'S "Pro" controller, right? 🤔

Reactions: bonzo
I use a Zoom H1n recorder with my DSLR gear and Videos.
Has Auto level, Limiter, Lo cut, volume control and other functions.
Would something like that work?

I use a Zoom H1n recorder with my DSLR gear and Videos.
Has Auto level, Limiter, Lo cut, volume control and other functions.
Would something like that work?
Thanks Michael... Those are nice. I'm sure it would work, in terms of audio quality..But why on earth do I need to merge an audio track, JUST to get similar results to running the default Android screen recorder on my Note 20 Ultra as I used to with the RC-N1controller & phone, and with the v1 Smart Controller. I know! Because the RC Pro has "pro" in the title, there's no way DJI would let you make a simple screen recording with embedded audio track that I can easily share. I would need to buy that, spend an hour or two figuring out how to merge and sync audio reliably, then take quick screen recordings, move them to the PC, merge the audio, then upload it. Not the end of the world, and not a big deal, but the previous method was:
record. upload. done. Something I can not find a way to do with RC "Pro"

Did you ever figure out the audio issue? I haven't tried it yet myself but for shoots I do I run multiple cameras that are far apart and we stop and start recording at different times so the traditional "clap" in front of the camera is just going to create headaches in post... The obvious solution is TimeCode why DJI hasn't come up for internal timecode is beyond me. With the Mavic 2 and an iPad I have been able to record audio timecode then just replace the cached video/audio with the full res video. I'm hoping I can do the same thing with the RC pro.

Anyone had good results doing screen recordings on the RC Pro? I have been though 6, count 'em! microphones and have yet to get any voiceover that doesn't sound like the mic gain is set a 10,000. Absolutely horrendous. Let me back up a bit:

Got the RC Pro in early December. Within a day I discovered RC Pro does not have an onboard mic. as we had with the V1 Smart Controller. That was annoying but I figured easy enough to overcome. First few mic's were USB-C wired ones, pretty basic. But sound was unacceptable. Stepped up to a few wireless designs, no audible improvement. One issue is there are no input side volume controls that I can find on the device. Just "Media Volume" -this includes Developer Options which I enabled.

Now we are in the $75-150 Mic category on the last few, and the sound is identically horrible, again sounds like gain is cranked beyond all reason. Note that all of these mics sound almost identical, and used on other android devices I have, they sound perfectly acceptable for voiceover on a screen recording.

Has anyone else dealt with this, or has anyone had acceptable mic input signal doing screen recording?
Yes! We also produced a new video on it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000