DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Uncontrolled to Controlled

MassCoyote

Reactions
If I fly in an uncontrolled area and my drone touches a Controlled area, what happens? See image

Do I get a warning on screen? Does the drone just pauses in the air? Will it drop out of the air?

FWIW. LAANCE will not authorize flight in the Controlled area.

874304DD-074D-4B35-8F63-3A14BC7A9A29.jpeg

Yes you will get a message indicating you are near a restricted area

Reactions: MassCoyote
If I fly in an uncontrolled area and my drone touches a Controlled area, what happens? See image
Do I get a warning on screen? Does the drone just pauses in the air? Will it drop out of the air?
If you attempt to fly into a no fly zone, it's like hitting a soft, invisible wall.
You can fly along the wall, up or down, but not through it.

Just a point, be wary when getting involved with controlled zones. On here or the DJI forum there is a thread where a guy was flying in, I think, the Isles of Scilly. With the appropriate permissions he flew into and inside some sort of control or restriction zone but from memory couldn't get the drone out. I don't remember all the details or why he couldn't get the drone out but the drone ended up in the sea and was lost.

Last edited:
Nothing will happen to the drone if you fly into controlled airspace. You may get a warning displayed on the screen, but that's it.

If it's restricted airspace, it will simply not allow you to enter the area. It would be like running into an invisible wall. You won't be allowed to go any further.

One issue is that once you enter controlled airspace, you'll need LAANC approval. You can apply for that without being in the airspace. SImply draw the box large enough to include part of the controlled airspace you're going to fly in.

That way, you're legal.

Reactions: GFields
The running into something is the DJI software. If DJI has mapped the area as a restricted area that is where you run into the issue. If DJI has not marked the area, you can fly in and out of it without “issue”. I quote issue because you are in violation of the controlled space but the drone will not stop except when DJI has told it to do so. This can be an issue in the opposite direction. You might have filed LAANC and been approved but DJI wont let you fly because they have their own restrictions. The example referenced earlier was approval for a height that was exceeded by return to home which the drone found the “wall” DJI built and would not go further. DJI is trying to keep a drone with their name out of locations that can cause them to be in the news versus letting the pilot make the decisions. Some people need that, others are responsible and so you have this back and forth with the limits. Wide open spaces not a big deal but urban areas with lots of rules it can be a chore to keep up but there are tools that offer all of the relevant info. Thank goodness.

Reactions: MassCoyote
This is very interesting information. I will research this further. Thank you for getting it out there.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121