DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Understanding Litchi Missions

EtronX

Reactions
I would like to state that the mission I have created here is only to understand how Litchi works, and the possibilities in the program. This is NOT a mission I intend to fly. I would just like to understand what is possible. The mission created is BLOS and therefore not legal to fly.

The height for the flight is set to 30m above ground. So the Mavic should follow the terrain. The starting point is 18m AGL. The top of the mountain is some 253m.

Mission Hub - Litchi

As I understand, this is a possible mission for the Mavic to fly. One will certainly lose contact with the drone as it flies on the other side of the mountain.Will it still continue on the mission?

Or to ask the question in another way. If you launch the Mavic on a mission using Litchi and turn off the RC just after the Mavic has begun the flight, will it RTH or do the mission?

Just curious :)

I may be wrong, but the height you set is above your take off point, not above ground level. The ac measures height barometrically, it does not know the actual height above ground.
There is a way using google earth to set your waypoints to above your actual ground level. There are plenty of posts on here how to do it,however I would be very wary about the accuracy.
Yes litchi will complete a mission even if signal lost,many people like this feature, but it is scary.
I do not know what happens if you turn off the controller, I suspect it is the same as lost signal and it completes mission, why not test it and report back.
I have flown 100+ missions without any problems.

Reactions: EtronX
I may be wrong, but the height you set is above your take off point, not above ground level. The ac measures height barometrically, it does not know the actual height above ground.
There is a way using google earth to set your waypoints to above your actual ground level. There are plenty of posts on here how to do it,however I would be very wary about the accuracy.
Yes litchi will complete a mission even if signal lost,many people like this feature, but it is scary.
I do not know what happens if you turn off the controller, I suspect it is the same as lost signal and it completes mission, why not test it and report back.
I have flown 100+ missions without any problems.

Thanks for the reply :)

I planned the mission in Google Earth, keeping the height set at 30m with reference to the ground at each waypoint. Then exported the file as .klm. In the Mission hub the starting height is 30m above the starting point. Then it varies throughout the flight.

I think I have to find a nice place where I can stand on a top and watch the flight LOS. Then experiment with turning the RC off, using the RTH, etc... But as you said: Scary stuff :cool:

Yes, the mission you posted is valid and will complete regardless of input from you or the RC, although 30m is a bit low. Remember that when signal is lost the speed and gimbal angle remain the same for the duration of the flight, or until you regain control. Yaw and elevation is uploaded to the aircraft. It is an exciting experience when you hear the words "Warning, signal lost" from the Litchi app, but it's awesome when you hear the aircraft coming back in the distance. It may or may not be "illegal" depending on where you are. It's certainly not good practice, but in the boonies I don't worry about that much. In a populated area I would not plan a mission like that. You actually will not lose contact for very long with the path you have.

Reactions: EtronX
Yes, the mission you posted is valid and will complete regardless of input from you or the RC, although 30m is a bit low. Remember that when signal is lost the speed and gimbal angle remain the same for the duration of the flight, or until you regain control. Yaw and elevation is uploaded to the aircraft. It is an exciting experience when you hear the words "Warning, signal lost" from the Litchi app, but it's awesome when you hear the aircraft coming back in the distance. It may or may not be "illegal" depending on where you are. It's certainly not good practice, but in the boonies I don't worry about that much. In a populated area I would not plan a mission like that. You actually will not lose contact for very long with the path you have.

I guess I just have to try :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost