DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unexpected Crash

drz12345

Reactions
I have been flying the Mavic Air without problems but in retrospect the landings were off by over 5 feet consistently. I would just have to manually land it. Today on precision take off the drone rose about two feet and shot back rapidly striking an object. I checked all parameters which were OK and tried again with same results. On a third attempt the drone struck the object so hard it cracked the rear rotor support. DJI is looking into this. Has anyone else had or is having similar problem? Thankfully it struck and object and not a person. The flight changed almost as soon as it lifted from the ground. All sensors were operating and the craft did not hover just flew backwards. Wind was not a factor.Be careful

Reactions: daasmangi
sounds like an interfierence issue, there was a post the other day where he took off and right away had 0 control and it crashed, did u get any warnings and what were your satelites, did u have full lock on at least 7 or more,i had an interfierince flight 2 times and it was scary, wouldnt respond and did things on its own

sounds like an interfierence issue, there was a post the other day where he took off and right away had 0 control and it crashed, did u get any warnings and what were your satelites, did u have full lock on at least 7 or more,i had an interfierince flight 2 times and it was scary, wouldnt respond and did things on its own

I did not have time to react the first time just lifted two feet and shot back. Made sure all parameters were good and happened twice more. Someone could have gotten hurt

I have been flying the Mavic Air without problems but in retrospect the landings were off by over 5 feet consistently. I would just have to manually land it. Today on precision take off the drone rose about two feet and shot back rapidly striking an object. I checked all parameters which were OK and tried again with same results. On a third attempt the drone struck the object so hard it cracked the rear rotor support. DJI is looking into this. Has anyone else had or is having similar problem? Thankfully it struck and object and not a person. The flight changed almost as soon as it lifted from the ground. All sensors were operating and the craft did not hover just flew backwards. Wind was not a factor.Be careful

In retrospect, don't you think it was unwise to attempt the take off three times in a location where there were objects the drone could crash into? I think after the first crash it would have scared me so much I would have moved to an open field. Sorry about the crash.

Uncontrollable flight may be due to calibration (or lack of), damaged props or motors.
There are 2 different calibrations. One is your standard calibration before flight, while the other is deemed ‘not required’ but is required for levelling and level rotation ‘yaw’
Check YouTube for calibration settings. Been flying Mavic for 18months but helicopters before that. Not real good a terminology though. I just do it ;-))

During precision take off there is not much of a seasoned pilot experience difference. The drone lifts off to a given height. It does not rise two feet and rapidly shoot back. I am glad the drone struck a fixed object and not a person.Sorry new members are not very welcomed in this forum. My experience a crew chief in a UH1-H does not make me a pure newbie.

My mavic air consistently lands between 5 ft and 10 ft from its take off point, I have to manually move it to landing point. I have calibrated compass and IMU countless times. No other peculiarities happening. I have successfully flown 900 Mtrs ( GT. Britain ) with no warnings.

Funny, you name your thread 'Unexpected Crash'.
Unexpected would be when you controlled it yourself and you're sure no pilot error was in play.
Always expect anything to happen whenever you give control to the app or the bird itself.

Here's an (old) example of rookie trusting the auto take off on his brand new 3500$ Inspire1.
Not a mavic, but still a very sophisticated flying machine that's only truly safe when controlled all the way by a capable pilot. It has auto take off an land just like the mavic, VPS for precise positioning during landing as well. But still, a sensible pilot is always prepared to take manual control immediately.

Last edited:
Reactions: RomekCyborg
I would consider myself a sensible pilot ,but admit when things malfunction I go through a second or two of shock before taking action like hitting the pause button or doing a csc.
I've had a rth malfunction causing my mavic to take off just after landing crashing under my pickup truck..it was flopping around for a few seconds and I could have done a csc to limit damage.
Unfortunately I crashed it into a tree a couple days later..

Reactions: ElJefe
I know I’ve been flying these things a long time, but I’m amazed that people aren’t landing their quads manually.

I would consider myself a sensible pilot ,but admit when things malfunction I go through a second or two of shock before taking action like hitting the pause button or doing a csc.
I've had a rth malfunction causing my mavic to take off just after landing crashing under my pickup truck..it was flopping around for a few seconds and I could have done a csc to limit damage.
Unfortunately I crashed it into a tree a couple days later..

Have you set the csc settings in the app???

I know I’ve been flying these things a long time, but I’m amazed that people aren’t landing their quads manually.

So you recommend always taking off and landing manually? by manually you mean just using the sticks to guide it? I am a newbie, could there not be occasions where even manually it can go crazy?

So you recommend always taking off and landing manually? by manually you mean just using the sticks to guide it? I am a newbie, could there not be occasions where even manually it can go crazy?
If I may answer:
Yes. Unless you are experienced (with the mavic and the software, the controls on the RC, the readouts of the telemetry etc.) and know how the drone could behave when it malfunctions, and you know what immediate action you should take.

Unfortunately most rookies believe the opposite and think it's safer to let the drone do everything automatically because they don't have any experience. But that's typical an effect of DJI's marketing communication. Not really the rookies fault actually, even if he has read the manual. It's understandable that you would like to use these functions by default from day one.

Things like follow me and active track are also dangerous if you don't know how to take control instantly, and take the required and best possible action for the situation. It usually happens in a split second. It should be a second nature to be aware of anything suspicious during these modes and take matter back in own hands. Second natures only come with experience.

So my well meant advice is:
learn to fly it first WITHOUT all the gadgets turned on, without auto take off/landing. Then gradually get used to how these work (in a safe location and with the hands on the controls) and experience yourself how many times you want to quickly switch out of them. I bet that once you feel comfortable doing it all yourself you don't want it do do it for you. Taking off and landing is a part of the flying fun.

If it would go crazy while flying manually, most of the times you skipped preflight checks, didn't prepare for the flight etc. That's pilot error. But at least you feel it when it happens and react to it instantly, because you trained yourself to.

@Lake_Flyer I have the utmost respect for your opinion, no doubt. However, I disagree wholeheartedly.

The OP used a function that I use extremely often, sometimes with reckless abandon, as I am checking on other things.. I know the AC should go to 16 ft or so and stay there... it always has, one day, when it doesnt, I will be surprised...

The same surprise I would get if my toaster didnt eject the toast exactly at the colour I set it too.... Fire department have an opinion, but I'm taking it up with DJI Kitchen appliances..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair