DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UNKNOWN Controlled Airspace (5Miles)

Cookedinlh

Reactions
I talk to recreational and commercial UAV operators all the time who think 3 miles from an airport is fine and no need to file with NavCanada. Most recreational flyers think all they need is a basic Certificate as long as they stay outside the 3 miles. There is a lot to consider here like definition of "Control Zone". Sarnia is a control zone but does not have any control tower or local air traffic. Instead, its a 5 nm MF ( Mandatory Frequency area) . . which is NOT controlled airspace but is also CLASS E Transition airspace that IS controlled.

Most UAV operators think that if you just stay 3 miles away from any uncontrolled airport like the PART IX says you're fine . . . . that's not true in all cases . . . there are a few special cases of CLASS E airspace that are NOT obvious. . . Sarnia, Sault St Marie and Timmins for example. I've just posted the Sarnia example here on my website www.inskyphoto.com. .

At CYZR Sarnia - (Chris Hadfield Airport) in Ontario nobody seems to recognize that the restricted airspace is actually a 5 nautical mile radius of CLASS E Airspace and you can only fly there with an Advanced certificate . . a registered aircraft and an approved flight plan from NavCanada for THAT Flight on THAT day . . . Even DJI Geofencing does not seem to cover that airspace properly and will let you fly closer than 5 nm but not <3nm . .On the link above I've posted a full explanation and I've sent this to the Transport Canada UAV Task Force and NavCanada for a proper interpretation for the CARs PART IX, the Canadian Flight Supp and the Designated Airspace Handbook.

How do you see it?
1591468471536.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580