DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unlock procedure for Mavic 2 Pro (2020 model)

Mudbone

Reactions
I've seen similar post about this but they don't answer this specific question. How do I obtain internet access on my smart controller when out in the field?
Yesterday I had real estate photo shoot that involved drone shots near a regional airport - the house is in Class D airspace. Using AirMap (on my iPhone) I applied for and received a temp authorization to fly within a 1 hour time frame and no higher than 100 ft. When on site the SC immediately indicated I was in restricted airspace and asked if I wanted to unlock... when I pressed OK it prompted me saying I needed internet access. I tried to link via blue tooth and also turned on the hot spot on my iPhone 8. Neither were recognized by my smart controller and I could not fly - props wouldn't even turn...
I feel like numbskull in that I can't figure out what else to do. Do I need some kind of portable WiFi device with me for situations like this?
Please embarrass me with what I am guessing is a no-brainer that continues to escape me... and thanks!

I think most of us get the authorization ahead of time like you did then do the unlock at home before we leave. At least that’s what I do.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
If you need to do it in the field, turn on your phone as a wifi Hotspot.

If your phone doesn't support this feature, get one that does. It's becoming pretty common. Solves the problem for other wifi dependent devices too.

As EpicFlight mentioned, setup your phone as a mobile hotspot and connect to it with the Smart Controller. You will need to put in the the wifi password (which your phone should display) the first time you connect, then in the future when you enable the hotspot your Smart Controller should connect automatically.

Just curious....your phone is connected to the controller or are you using the one with the screen integrated? I ask because I had a heck of a time with the one the RC with integrated screen. If your using that I would suggest login in and getting the Unlock downloaded before you set out.

I have both and have struggled with the integrated screen RC - the one with the phone for me works almost every time immediately no matter where I am. In all fairness, DJI spent a lot of time but could not really figure out why my RC wasn't receiving the unlock when connected to my phone Hotspot.

Like you I have paying gigs so I take both controllers with me now just incase. I also have a Parrot drone that I bring with me as a back up. No Geo Fencing and quality is really pretty good (4k etc).

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair